• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
As strong as our back row seems to be ATM, Cottrell must be coming into consideration for a spot on the squad and maybe on the bench. He is skillful as well as being hard as nails. I would be happy to see him included.

Reactions: TSR

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Just rewatching the Force v Tahs game.
-Skelton was very dangerous for the first 45 odd minutes. He was super impressive with ball in hand, good foot work and lots of offloads in contact, plenty of tackle busts, and as always very effective in stopping the attacking maul. He really needs to improve his fitness, but lots of potential. He's shaping as a handy bench option / impact player for the wallabies in the coming years (he's not there yet but i like what i see).
- TPN was very good
- I actually thought Robinson's pay round the park was good.
- Hodgson, Cottrell and McCalman are a great unit.

and obviously Cummins reminded us why he's the Honey Badger. He takes the lead in the battle for wing spots. Cummins, Tomane and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) all in good form

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
As strong as our back row seems to be ATM, Cottrell must be coming into consideration for a spot on the squad and maybe on the bench. He is skillful as well as being hard as nails. I would be happy to see him included.
Gotta say I agree, definately a smokey.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I hadnt been very impressed this season with cummins up until last night. Defensively he'd been a bit ordinary and his speed has been a bit off the pace. Last night he had a blinder but would like to see a bit more consistency for the rest of the season.

When he's on anything above neutral form though he's really got the full skill set (sans kicking) that you want from a winger.

He also has a genuine turn of pace to compliment those skills, he's gotta be one of the quickest guys over 10-15m in Aus Super Rugby right now and is absolutely no slouch over 60-100m either.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
When he's on anything above neutral form though he's really got the full skill set (sans kicking) that you want from a winger.

He also has a genuine turn of pace to compliment those skills, he's gotta be one of the quickest guys over 10-15m in Aus Super Rugby right now and is absolutely no slouch over 60-100m either.

I dont see the pace you see remember he got caught on that 3rd try

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I dont see the pace you see remember he got caught on that 3rd try

Not so much caught but ankle tapped by a diving player he didn't really make a tackle on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Not so much caught but ankle tapped by a diving player he didn't really make a tackle on him.

But run down, Im not having a go at the badger I think his great I just never thought him as one of the quick wingers. His quicl enough but not Coleman Mogg Davis quick.. and at a guess Tomane, Betham look quicker to my eye. Turner is supposedly really fast too but he seems to have lost a yard.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Maybe, but Tomane did a lot of very good things. He has a lot to offer, I am surprised that he has struggled a bit to show his ability for too long.
In and out with injuries I think his a complete package you'd want in a winger..

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Just a note to those who keep saying that Skelton needs to work on his fitness. Do you know how big the guy is?
He is never going to be an 80 min player and I doubt he will ever even be a 60 min player.
The effort required to do what he does with a body that size is immense.
A bit of extra fitness might get a few more minutes out of him but that's it. You get a guy like that the pros are obvious but one of the cons is that he won't go all day. It's just not going to happen.

T

TOCC

Just a note to those who keep saying that Skelton needs to work on his fitness. Do you know how big the guy is?
He is never going to be an 80 min player and I doubt he will ever even be a 60 min player.
The effort required to do what he does with a body that size is immense.
A bit of extra fitness might get a few more minutes out of him but that's it. You get a guy like that the pros are obvious but one of the cons is that he won't go all day. It's just not going to happen.

He obviously needs to shed weight then.. If he wants to be a test player he is going to need to be able to play at least 70minutes at test level, otherwise he is too much of a liability for the coach in planning substitution and having redundancy on the bench for injuries.

You only have to take one look at him to realise he is carrying comparatively high body fat, he could drop 5-8kg without impacting on his strength.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
@TOCC - he has dropped a fair bit from school to now, I dare say he will drop a few more kgs over the next year or so. A work in progress, but he seems to be progressing quite well, and I like his attitude.
Scary thing is his younger brothers are bigger! :eek:

Hoolly Doolly

Fred Wood (13)
But run down, Im not having a go at the badger I think his great I just never thought him as one of the quick wingers. His quicl enough but not Coleman Mogg Davis quick.. and at a guess Tomane, Betham look quicker to my eye. Turner is supposedly really fast too but he seems to have lost a yard.

I dont think you are imagining it. Cummins is definitely not the quickest winger out there. But what he lacks in out right speed he makes up for in power in contact, effort and hustle.
A lot has been said in the past that he could work on his defense and try and re-invent himself as an outside centre. I would agree with this. Its been a gap for the western force for a while prior to rosolea settling in and Brache so he may have lost his oppurtunity for the time being.

T

TOCC

@TOCC - he has dropped a fair bit from school to now, I dare say he will drop a few more kgs over the next year or so. A work in progress, but he seems to be progressing quite well, and I like his attitude.
Scary thing is his younger brothers are bigger! :eek:

Yep and I agree, he is progressing well and he seems to have good head on his broad shoulders... In terms of physical maturity I think he is another season or two away.. That's not to say he shouldn't get a taste of test rugby in the next 18 months - depending on injuries I think he is a chance to get a cap or two off the bench, in some of the lesser matches this year even, but in terms of been considered a test starter or even on the bench for some of the top tier test matches, he is still quite some time off.

What does that mean for his RWC 2015 chances? well I think they're slim but not completely ruled out, I haven't watched enough rugby to gauge the technical set-piece aspects of his game too really judge, but in the loose I have noticed with ball in hand he does run too upright at times and defensively when trying to line up a big hit he has a tendency to miss completely..

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Can we accept the fact that there was only one open OSF playing in the Force vs Tahs game and it was Matt Hodgson who gave Hooper an absolute bath.

Hodgson 17 tackles and 3 turn overs vs Hooper's 5 tackles and ZERO turno-overs.

Not bad for a 32yo who carries the extra burden of being Captain....

Hooper runs the risk of playing like a Centre when his team needs him as #7.

A bit like Higgers seagulling on the wing instead of using his bulk to do the hard stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.