• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
You also have to consider that Hodgson is relishing in the Force's style of play. The Wallabies' style of play will almost certainly be nothing like that.

You'd hope not, given that the Wobs will have a lot more attacking threats than the Force. If they all play with the same amount of ticker as the Force have shown this year we'll go alright.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Front row stocks ATm
1. Slipper, Robinson then Sio (some distance behind)
2. Moore, TPN, daylight
3. Kepu, Alexander - Ryan

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Front row stocks ATm
1. Slipper, Robinson then Sio (some distance behind)
2. Moore, TPN, daylight
3. Kepu, Alexander - Ryan

I thought Sio had passed Robinson early in the season, but Robbo has definitely improved in recent weeks and Sio missed a couple of games through injury.

That contest is definitely right back on though. You've got to think that Cowan is much closer now as well. Bringing him back at the expense of Robinson or ahead of Sio and stifling his test match development would be a huge call though.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I can't see how Sio is some distance behind anyone?

In fact he's probably been the form loosehead every week he's played this year.......

He's the best scrummager, and the strongest ball carrier, and has put on some great hits in defence ......

However Slipper probably has the best workrate of the 3........

I would still start with Slipper as he's the incumbent and has been playing well this year, but Sio is making a good case for himself while Robinson has regressed........

Robinsons' experience makes him a valuable squad memebwr but I don't see him making the 23 right now........

One of the France tests will be the perfect time to give Sio a start and see if he's now ready for test rugby...... The RC last year wads brutal initiation when the scrum was already on roller skates.......

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
, but Sio is making a good case for himself while Robinson has regressed....

Robinsons' experience makes him a valuable squad memebwr but I don't see him making the 23 right now....

One of the France tests will be the perfect time to give Sio a start and see if he's now ready for test rugby.. The RC last year wads brutal initiation when the scrum was already on roller skates...

Earlier in the season I agreed with this analysis of Robinson but he has improved substantially in the last month.

I do agree with you that giving Sio a start against France would be a good plan.

Ideally I would give 3 LH, 3 TH and 3 hookers a crack in the French series even if no changes are forced due to injury. Your replacement front row are probably your most important bench players so it's important we work on our depth here and make sure we have more than just a matchday side of frontrowers up to the task.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
just on Hodgson with some making comment about his age this is what link has to say.
Earlier in the season I agreed with this analysis of Robinson but he has improved substantially in the last month.

I do agree with you that giving Sio a start against France would be a good plan.

Ideally I would give 3 LH, 3 TH and 3 hookers a crack in the French series even if no changes are forced due to injury. Your replacement front row are probably your most important bench players so it's important we work on our depth here and make sure we have more than just a matchday side of frontrowers up to the task.
Who's your 3 THP ?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Who's your 3 THP ?
Id go Longbottom but that just me.

I'd potentially give Longbottom a crack too. Paddy Ryan's scrummaging has been really disappointing this season.

I'm guessing it's to cover up a different weakness but he's getting penalised a lot for having his feet set too far back so he's prone to losing his footing and collapsing the scrum.

Whoever it is, they need to be involved though. I certainly don't think Ryan is a lost cause but we need to keep working on him. At various points depth will be tested and that third or fourth choice option becomes essential to your team. If they're not up to it, it can throw a way a lot of great work the rest of the team has done.

Reactions: BDA

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah I'd probably go Longbottom too. He's doing a decent job holding up an undersized pack. Patty Ryan is looking pretty poor atm. He seems to give away a lot of penalties at scrum time. Plus he got a few chances at test level last season he wasn't great. I reckon he'll get whistled off the park on current form.

Technically I'd probably say Slipper is no.3 TH. Provided all are healthy I think our WC props should be LH - Sio/Robbo TH - Alexander/Kepu LH/TH - Slipper

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
QC (Quade Cooper) is special but nowadays very very infrequently - line breaks are seriously missing. Does he set up his outside backs a lot - not too frequently.

Okay seriously, where are you getting that stuff from? It must be that good shit.

QC (Quade Cooper): Defenders Beaten - 23; Line Breaks - 3; Try Assists - 7

MT: Defenders Beaten - 7; Line Breaks - 4; Try Assists - 5

Why the fuck are we even talking about our flyhalf breaking the line as if that's even in the first 10 things you should be looking at when considering who your no. 10 should be, anyway?

I think Charles and Hansen are catching up with Taf and 2nd hooker position is up for grabs. Moore is first choice by some distance.

I mean, I can't be the only person who still absolutely shudders at the idea of Taf having to make a clutch line out throw with 5 minutes left to go in a test match.

I just don't understand how his throwing hasn't progressed much in this many years, I seriously don't get it at all.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I figure we'll need 5 props for the RWC, and at the moment I can't see anyone from outside of those 5 mentioned pushing for selection...

I currently see the pecking order as being:

LH:

1. Slipper
2. Sio
3. Robinson

TH:

1. Alexander
2. Kepu
3. Slipper

Slim
only comment is that Robbo is provan on the big stage - his star may be waning a bit but he still has the runs on the board. Slipper is clearly the front runner. Sio may be getting better and improving - suppose his lack of success at Wallaby level can be put down to his inexperience and hitting the big stage at a very young age (for a prop).

T

TOCC

In fact he's probably been the form loosehead every week he's played this year...

He's the best scrummager, and the strongest ball carrier, and has put on some great hits in defence ..

Your brumby colours are showing

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Your brumby colours are showing

You may feel free to disagree with some sort of counter-argument..........

But I think it's fair to say that anyone who has watched those 3 loose heads play this year will agree that Sio's scrummaging has been the strongest so far, with the other 2 options having being dominated at times...........

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
You may feel free to disagree with some sort of counter-argument....

But I think it's fair to say that anyone who has watched those 3 loose heads play this year will agree that Sio's scrummaging has been the strongest so far, with the other 2 options having being dominated at times.....
Not disagreeing, but I haven't really seen Slipper dominated. Similar to last year, the times the Reds scrum has gone backwards, about 80% of the time it's Greg Holmes on the Tighthead who has been at fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.