• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Christian Lealiifano will be in the mix for 12 as he overcomes the ankle injury he played with last year. Pat McCabe should be a motza for the bench as he covers 15, wing, and 12, and is much better than the alternatives (eg Beale).

I expect Link to go into the first test with essentially the same lineup as played in the EOYT test against Ireland. QC (Quade Cooper) at 10, Matt To'omua at 12 and Maybe Kuridrani at 13 (think he missed Ireland due suspension). Other spots in doubt are 9, 8 (Mowen leaving), 5 and 4, assuming Fardy starts at 6.

lpd

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I've come around to the idea of Mowen playing against France, his lineout skills are second to none in oz at the moment

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Just pick a team from the force and brumbies

Nah - selling your own team short. :)

Hooper, Izzy and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) must be there. TPN is surely under pressure from Charles who is the second best hooker in open play in the Aus conference atm. Lineout throwing is a concern for both of them however.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
My concern a year out from the RWC is that our form locks currently are the uncapped duo of Luke Jones and Sam Carter...

That doesn't concern me at all. Carter's workload is pretty phenomenal and Jones is the best line bending/braking lock going around. Both would rise to the occasion imo. Better to pick on form rather than reputation, especially as we have the Tests against France and the RC to blood them well in advance of the RWC.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Did you just quote yourself?

Yes I mentioned McCabe in the next post

I'am sorry, at the time through my phone I didnt see about 10 of those posts.. may have been through the beer/bourbon/awesomness :) but wasnt having a go ... Sorry

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Problem in Australia is a lack of lineout calling options. First it was rock shifting locks but now it has swung the other way. The blunt fact is that the Wallabies need an experienced lineout caller and it has to be one of the first attributes consider in Wallaby selections. Simmons walks into the Wallaby 4 jersey for this reason alone. For all the doom and gloom, don't forget his latest Wallaby form. It is about the balance and the Wallaby situation is we do have a crop of line benders to select so carrying a workhorse in defense is not a bad thing for the Wallabies. I want Fardy at 6 and Jones would make a great reserve lock option. Great way to introduce him to test rugby actually. The second lock position is up for grabs though.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Problem in Australia is a lack of lineout calling options. First it was rock shifting locks but now it has swung the other way. The blunt fact is that the Wallabies need an experienced lineout caller and it has to be one of the first attributes consider in Wallaby selections. Simmons walks into the Wallaby 4 jersey for this reason alone. For all the doom and gloom, don't forget his latest Wallaby form. It is about the balance and the Wallaby situation is we do have a crop of line benders to select so carrying a workhorse in defense is not a bad thing for the Wallabies. I want Fardy at 6 and Jones would make a great reserve lock option. Great way to introduce him to test rugby actually. The second lock position is up for grabs though.

I tend to agree, Simmons end of season form was great.. and the older he gets the less brain farts he has.. I think he has to be there if Mowen's goneskis..after Mowen and Simmons who's the next guy who calls lineouts in Oz ?

guessing here but

Pyle in Rebs ...
Dennis at the Tahs
Force ????

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
Force - Steenkemp #1 Wykes #2 and that wasn't brilliant last night

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

You know you look at 8's and Mowen falls down the list a bit on some things.. But as a Captain as a Lineout caller there skills you gotta respect.. Wish he was hanging around ..

P

Paradox

Maybe because Cooper was better at 10 for the Wallabies last year, then had a great partnership with To'omua?

Maybe I should be obtuse and write a 10 description for the Wallabies that is just a list of strengths from the guy from my team too. But I am not, so I will not.

But if you think a requirement of a 10 at any level is to be a dominant defender, then you clearly have never watched any of the recent top All Blacks 10s play. Or Larkham.

Larkham was and Carter is a good defender though. Being dominant is a bonus

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

In fairness to Wykes that was a tough gig. Best lineout operator in Matfield plus opposing a lineout with 4 blokes over 2 meters tall.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
So Back to the Wallaby watch, and I know Benny Mowen was asked in the post match interview and he was never going to say Robbie Coleman isnt up the standard of the Wobs..

But he said stuff I've noticed, kick chases, last line defence and he doesnt get pushed off easily...

I also loved the, 'If you see me with a one on one give it to me, I'll do somthing'

Now the real question is which wingers are in front of him.. Tomane (still a line ball) and Badger (although his had one good game recently) wouldnt say the Tah's or Reds wingers are playing better..

Reb's Tom English is a good call...

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will be picked before him on the wing..

It's a shame his probably going end on the bench after Speight comes back...

is he our own Shane Willams ..

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
It would be great for the Wallabies if Douglas took the calling role at the Tahs. Carter takes it at the Brumbies and Jones at the Rebels. I would of said Higgers but he is best left at the front of the lineout where he is often disruptive on opposition ball.

The next test becomes, how do these players respond to the extra load?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Larkham was and Carter is a good defender though. Being dominant is a bonus

Look to be honest there is no better defending 10 in the world then To'omua.. His probably up there as one of the better defenders in the world not just 10, his dominate and hard as nails.

Last person I thought defended as good as him at 10 (not as hard) was Jonny Wikinson he was/is a fantastic defender..

So its all about game plan and form, I would really like to see the

Genia, Quade, To'omua combo re-unioned, on form you would be questioning Genia and Quade but runs on the board.. and when there on... they are on..

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Honey Bogan walks onto one of the wings in my view. Tomane is showing good signs. If Beale is to become a Wallaby again, this may be his only position at the moment. Turner was showing good signs but injury always lurks. McCabe could be a smokey.

Tomane is my bet at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.