• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Because of balance. If To'omua plays 10, then who plays 12 and 13? We didn't necessarily need a playmaking 12 before last year because KB (Kurtley Beale) or Barnes or O'Connor usually played fullback. Now that Folau is a lock at fullback, we need a second playmaker other than To'omua or Cooper or whoever it is. If To'omua plays 10, you don't have a high standard 12 or 13 who can also create plays. Now there will be some people out there who bleat the Lealiifano line, but apart from his goal kicking, he wasn't very good in the Wallabies games last year. So who goes at 12? Everyone else is either too green (Godwin), not talented enough at distribution (McCabe, Horne, Inman), a defensive liability (Cooper, Beale) or out of form (Tapuai). I agree with TOCC that Tapuai needs to be played at 12. But maybe if he finds form or adapts his game to suit 13 he could make it work and you could have a crashballer at 12. I'd also be interested to see how Godwin would go if played at 13. It's a shame we don't have Australia 'A' games anymore to test these things out.

So what about if we changed the lock from full back to wing?

Part of my point is that trying to shoehorn players in to positions just to have them in the team is a ridiculous philosophy!

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
i think people are forgetting how good the QC (Quade Cooper) 10 To'omua 12 combo worked last year. it was some of the best rugby i've seen from the wobs in recent years. i think those two + folau & moore are the first guys picked

That's last year, history doesn't serve well as a gauge when you are picking teams. The problem you could end up with is 2x10's trying to play together.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
UNLESS Lilo hits strong form at 12, and quickly, Cooper at 10 and To'omua at 12 is the best option for the Wallabies.

This is because of the centers. At 13, only AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Kuridrani are genuine options. None of the Force, Rebels or Reds options are worthwhile considering. Both of these players are less creative in the midfield, and require someone who can be a bit more of a playmaker at 12.

Inman and McCabe don't really fall into this mould, despite both of their remarkable improvments.

Beale doesn't deserve to be playing 12. He's being hidden on Defence a la Cooper v.2011, without the skill set and performance to justify it. No one seems to have played 12 for the Reds consistently.

This leaves Godwin, and his form has been down. His defence is still good, but he's not found space in attack. Whether that's down to him, or down to increased pressure by others, I can't say. Either way, he doesn't deserve to be in the Canary Top yet.

So: To'omua @ 12. Cooper @ 10. Assuming of Course Lilo doesn't explode into form.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Or Lilo and a few others figure they are on the fringe and the "incumbents regardless of form" are the ones going to picked and jump to Europe!

The other issue is form. We need to think forward to 12 or so months time not now.

P

Paradox

To'omua is appealing at 12 due to the fact he is a composed playmaker yet possesses major physicality. A good combo with Quade

P

Paradox

I have a feeling Lilo has got his explosive step/pace back as of a few years ago. He was missing it last year after his injury in 2012. Never looked 100% in 2013.

Reactions: mst
T

Train Without a Station

I can't help but think To'omua has been our best 12 since Gits at his peak. Taps looked like getting there and then his form died in the ass.

I also think To'omua adds more at 12 than CLL does. Not quite as classy but long kicker, stronger defender and better crash all option, somewhat similar to Harris at the reds just errr, better.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I can't help but think To'omua has been our best 12 since Gits at his peak. Taps looked like getting there and then his form died in the ass.

I also think To'omua adds more at 12 than CLL does. Not quite as classy but long kicker, stronger defender and better crash all option, somewhat similar to Harris at the reds just errr, better.

I still find it odd that the Brumbies and the player say his preference is 10 yet everyone else seems to want him at 12? And the justification seem to be so QC (Quade Cooper) can play at 10.

Why?

T

Train Without a Station

Mine is because of the points I highlighted. I see him better as 12 than a 10

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I still find it odd that the Brumbies and the player say his preference is 10 yet everyone else seems to want him at 12? And the justification seem to be so QC (Quade Cooper) can play at 10.

Why?

Maybe because Cooper was better at 10 for the Wallabies last year, then had a great partnership with To'omua?

Maybe I should be obtuse and write a 10 description for the Wallabies that is just a list of strengths from the guy from my team too. But I am not, so I will not.

But if you think a requirement of a 10 at any level is to be a dominant defender, then you clearly have never watched any of the recent top All Blacks 10s play. Or Larkham.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We can't pick QC (Quade Cooper) on his last two performances.

To'omua is the man. Just who plays outside him. Not sure if it's Lealiifano. McCabe possibly. Real chance for Godwin to step up and stake a claim.

T

Train Without a Station

To'omua was indifferent at 10. He was very good to excellent when moved to 12.

To'omua is nowhere near as creative. Behind a dominant pack at the brumbies that is not a weakness. Behind a likely lacking parity wallabies pack, that will not win us games. Cooper presents the best chance of that. Error rate on him and ball security needs to improve otherwise he won't though.

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Maybe because Cooper was better at 10 for the Wallabies last year, then had a great partnership with To'omua?

Maybe I should be obtuse and write a 10 description for the Wallabies that is just a list of strengths from the guy from my team too. But I am not, so I will not.

But if you think a requirement of a 10 at any level is to be a dominant defender, then you clearly have never watched any of the recent top All Blacks 10s play. Or Larkham.

No not obtuse, just based on what is being spruked publicly. The defence question are well known and QC (Quade Cooper) has stepped up and shown that that is almost not an issue. I didn't mention any particular player as it is merely a benchmark and is not absolute. Clearly as I stated McKenzie will have his view to suit his plan and that the way it should be. I asked to get other people opinions and views, to understand as to not be ignorant. I am happy to be corrected and other views put to me that I haven't considered, But one thing I wont be do is be defensive about which province the player is picked from. At the end of the day there are a lot of damn good players that wont make a Wallabies side and that does not diminish there abilities. It could be circumstance, injury or form or just not the right fit.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
We can't pick QC (Quade Cooper) on his last two performances.

To'omua is the man. Just who plays outside him. Not sure if it's Lealiifano. McCabe possibly. Real chance for Godwin to step up and stake a claim.

I think this is McKenzies biggest challenge - getting a core squad together ahead of time to develop combinations and simply get them use to playing together. I don't think he can wait too long but its hard when you look at form. I would take a punt on some as they tend to erratic but the risk / reward equation seems to fall on the rewards side (QC (Quade Cooper) for example), others it has to be on form especially at No. 9 and forward pack.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
To'omua was indifferent at 10. He was very good to excellent when moved to 12.

To'omua got thrown in at the deep end with two tests against NZ at 10. In the first he didn't do much beside shovel the ball on to the next bloke. In the second he started to show a bit but never got a chance again.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
So what about if we changed the lock from full back to wing?

Part of my point is that trying to shoehorn players in to positions just to have them in the team is a ridiculous philosophy!

I agree. Who is to say that To'omua isn't our best 12? Playing him there might not necessarily be doing it just to fit him in. He might genuinely be the best player there. Reminds me a bit about James O'Connor. He wasn't a 10, wasn't a 12, wasn't a 15. The only reason he was never played on the wing at Super level was because teams thought he was wasted there. So is he a 10/12/15 or a wing? Does putting him on the wing at Wallabies level mean we are just trying to fit him in? It's complicated I think.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
the way i see it, there isn't really any 12's in the country who are cementing the position for themselves. Toomuas form even though at 10, has him as the leading inside centre contender IMO.

As for the starting 12's currently:

Godwin, not as impressive as last year but still very promising, not a starting test player. yet
Beale, some very good form but they won't play KB (Kurtley Beale) outside of QC (Quade Cooper), so if KB (Kurtley Beale) is in the team then QC (Quade Cooper) gets dropped and To'omua starts at 10.. Not completely unrealistic, but i still think QC (Quade Cooper)-To'omua is a better combination based on the 2014 EOYT.
Inman, he has been impressive in 2014 for the Rebels, but i don't believe he is a test inside centre. Inman at 12 works for the Rebels, but i don't think an Inman-Kuridrani combination is going to work at test level.

As for some other who will probably see time in the Wallaby squad, Tapuai could potentially earn the spot if the Reds play him at 12 for the remainder of the season and he maintains his form. Lealifano is obviously another contender, but he is starting from scratch and behind the pack at this stage.

QC (Quade Cooper) - To'omua - Kuridrani is the flyhalf/centre combination as far as I'm concerned.

Patty McCabe has been outstanding this year... leaving him off the list is a disgrace.. Yes he didn't start this week but Im sure you will see him back in there in the coming weeks.

But it will be QC (Quade Cooper), To'omua and Kuridrani for the first test

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Patty McCabe has been outstanding this year. leaving him off the list is a disgrace.. Yes he didn't start this week but Im sure you will see him back in there in the coming weeks.

And this is mostly no 12 is damanding to be selected there been good not great some have had great games.. otherwise it be different..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Did you just quote yourself?

Patty McCabe has been outstanding this year. leaving him off the list is a disgrace.. Yes he didn't start this week but Im sure you will see him back in there in the coming weeks.

Yes I mentioned McCabe in the next post

Status
Not open for further replies.