• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I feel for these guys, though. I was a big SNK fan for years and was mocked relentlessly. But the whole time I wad thinking - you'll see, you'll see. He has a pass like Larkham and a boot like Gould. You'll see.

And then it turned out I was wrong.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Scarfman said:
I feel for these guys, though. I was a big SNK fan for years and was mocked relentlessly. But the whole time I wad thinking - you'll see, you'll see. He has a pass like Larkham and a boot like Gould. You'll see.

And then it turned out I was wrong.

But he did (pass like Larkham and a boot like Gould) he just couldn't break a tackle

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Scarfman said:
I assume that Bruce is Secretary and naza Treasuer.

Any members yet?

Mrs Riddler. She thinks that TC's a great big hunk of spunk. But she never did have any taste - she ended up with me after all.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
On the topic of quality journalism...article is of mild interest, rehashing the debate on the battle of jerseys between Barnes, Hangers and Beale to play 10/12 axis for the Tahs.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...d-still-find-himself-at-12-20100131-n6lm.html

TOM LOWREY
February 1, 2010

Barnes and incumbent five-eighth Daniel Halangahu are still yet to appear in the same back line, as Halangahu took the reins for the second half. It leaves the question of the No.10 jersey unanswered, with selectors forced to decide between the two world-class five-eighths.

With both five-eighths equally impressive throughout the match, the decision will not come lightly. Both players are likely to end up in either the No.10 or No.12 jerseys, and Carter could possibly remain at outside-centre, raising a potential problem in where to play Beale. Drew Mitchell and Lachie Turner are likely to hold their positions on the wings, while Sosene Anesi made a huge impression in last night's match, stating his case for the fullback position. That leaves Beale without a permanent position, despite a remarkable performance on last year's spring tour with the Wallabies.

Interesting that Hangers is suddenly "world-class"...just like "returning Wallaby Tom Carter". Is there an editor that knows anything about rugby, anywhere?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The man love for Hangers and Carter in the media is baffling.

Barnes and Beale is by far a better combination for 10/12.

Carter may deserve a starting chance at 13, we will see Thursday against a real defence

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I think you under-rate Hangers fat one - and you run the risk of a stat attack by Bruce of Broadway.

I raised this question earlier in the thread. As soon as the defection of Barnes from the Reds was announced it was always going to be a difficult decision. People haven't given Hangers many words on this thread but he deserves a few more. Once he got a 12 outside him in the RSA last year who was a bit of a ball player he looked better himself.

If he gets the gig watch him do his subtle stuff - then all of a sudden when opponents look at what they think are the real threats he will step inside them and go for the goal line.

I hope the matter is not resolved by one of the three being injured but Barnes' crockmetre is usually set on high.

It could be a rocky year for young Beale but he has just turned 21 and a year of playing in different positions, maybe from the bench, will do him no harm long term, and no harm for a Wallaby matchday spot this year either.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I look forward to this week's team being named, to see who runs at fullback.

Anesi has been the starter, and as far as I can tell hasn't played anywhere but, in the previous 2 trials.

I really like the idea of Beale there, if he's not at 12.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I think that Beale lacks a bit of pace for the spot - to chase his own kicks in the current sytle - and to take advantage of broken play.

He is quick off the mark and fast enough as a 10 or 12 over 20 metres but he doesn't have gas that is serious.

But then Hewat had a couple of good years in that position and he was hardly Usain Bolt. Maybe Beale will get away with what he has in the Super14 at fullback but I think we will wonder a few times: what if he had that extra step on the guy who ran him down?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Lee Grant said:
I think you under-rate Hangers fat one - and you run the risk of a stat attack by Bruce of Broadway.

I raised this question earlier in the thread. As soon as the defection of Barnes from the Reds was announced it was always going to be a difficult decision. People haven't given Hangers many words on this thread but he deserves a few more. Once he got a 12 outside him in the RSA last year who was a bit of a ball player he looked better himself.

If he gets the gig watch him do his subtle stuff - then all of a sudden when opponents look at what they think are the real threats he will step inside them and go for the goal line.

I hope the matter is not resolved by one of the three being injured but Barnes' crockmetre is usually set on high.

It could be a rocky year for young Beale but he has just turned 21 and a year of playing in different positions, maybe from the bench, will do him no harm long term, and no harm for a Wallaby matchday spot this year either.

Hangers is solid, but the best description I can give him is that he won't lose you a match. I am very happy to seem him as back up to Barnes. With Barnes playing 10, Beale is our next best 12.

P

PhucNgo

Lee Grant said:

Happy to oblige Lee. Slow, predictable, indecisive, kickless (well my word anyway), sidestepless (another my word), tough (but small). Shines at club-level, but then again, who wouldn't behind the Uni pack.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Good on you PhucNgo - good to see you again after a while and in good form.

This was also part of the article:

Meanwhile in the forwards, young Kane Douglas again made his mark,
raising selection issues in the second row. Douglas took the prize for biggest tackle of the match, and had more game time than any other Waratah, indicating that selectors are very interested in his future role in the side. Douglas has only recently appeared in contention, playing last year in the Waratah Academy, and is yet to even appear on the team's payroll. But if he continues to perform, that could change.

"Kane's … developed tremendously over the past 12 months, and I look forward to seeing what else he can do," Hickey said.

This journo doesn't do any homework. Douglas is on the payroll - he's in the professional Academy (or Junior Waratahs) as he was last year and IIRR they get paid about half the amount of the basic wage of a contracted S14 player. If he does get promoted and play 3 games they will have to start paying him at the full rate.

It's hard to track Douglas in club rugby because he plays for Southern Districts and they don't get as many games on ABC TV as the bigger clubs do. I went to see them at Rats Park but he didn't play in that one. He's a guy who came under the radar from the country (Northern Rivers?) and I wonder how many more are out there.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think the douglas's are from Yamba. Kane's brother (Luke, who plays for the sharks) was a lower clarence league junior.

Cheers

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Lee - in regards to Hangers, he did look like a competent S14 flyhalf last year in SA, which was really the only opportunity he got.

But world class, like the journo claimed? In fact, even claiming Barnes is a world class 10 is a stretch, seeing as he's really only stood out internationally in the 12 jersey (apart from his World Cup cameo), and he's been injured too much to really stamp himself as a world class 12.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
IIRR he's the same bloke who wrote that Carter was a returning Wallaby - and Douglas wasn't on the payroll.

Talking of Douglas - as I said before he looked like the pace of the game was too much for him 12 months ago in the Newcastle trial when he was still a teenager; so he must be building up nicely. Interesting that there are no favourable comments about Chris Thompson who has a S14 contract, nor Dud Roodt.

I hope he gets a game against the Brumbies. It will be a sterner test and maybe we will be able to judge if he needs to be promoted to the senior side - which will upset the Tahs bean counters.

If he is good enough to be promoted this year, or next year, Tahs lock futures look good because there is another young lock in the Tahs professional stable - Greg Peterson - the fellow I've been wanking on about as being a Dan Vickerman type at the schoolboy level last year.

I

Ishmael

Lee Grant said:

Basically I think it comes down to whether Hangers or Anesi offer more on the park. Barnes, Beale, Turner and Mitchell all have to start, with either Horne, Carter or Sidey at 13, so it comes down to whether having Hangers at 10 and Beale at fullback gets our best players out there or if Anesi genuinely has something to offer at 15. We really don't need 3 ball-players out there so Beale would be utilised for his counter-attack and kicking ability. That, for me, is a bit of a waste. Beale's a genius at putting players into gaps, so it'd be best to see him closer to the action and if Anesi can offer something at 15 then I just don't see a spot for Hangers. He's solid and defends very well but really offers very little in attack and even in SA when the Tahs backline was playing really well he had a few howlers with the boot. If Horne is fit, I'd even prefer him to be on the wing with Turner or Mitchell at fullback and Carter at 13 rather than shift Beale and bring Hangers in. Last year he gave the Tahs backline direction and a second ball player but Barnes does that and a lot more and would provide a perfect foil for Beale. Basically, if I was Hickey, Hangers wouldn't see a starting berth unless there were injuries.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Lee Grant said:
I think that Beale lacks a bit of pace for the spot - to chase his own kicks in the current sytle - and to take advantage of broken play.

He is quick off the mark and fast enough as a 10 or 12 over 20 metres but he doesn't have gas that is serious.

But then Hewat had a couple of good years in that position and he was hardly Usain Bolt. Maybe Beale will get away with what he has in the Super14 at fullback but I think we will wonder a few times: what if he had that extra step on the guy who ran him down?

I'm surprised. You'd think a GPS 100m sprint champion (and hurdles too IIRC) would have some serious gas.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Groucho said:
I'm surprised. You'd think a GPS 100m sprint champion (and hurdles too IIRC) would have some serious gas.

I wont say Beale is a fatty, I am not one to talk, but compare the tiny stick of a man he was, to the stockier fellow he is now and you would see why he isn't as fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.