• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I'm another Carter fan. To have someone in the backline who will tackle anything that moves and chase anything that is kicked is a big bonus.
Bruce Ross said:
From my knowledge of his strength and sprint training in the off-season, I believe that he currently has more than adequate speed for the outside centre position.
Bruce, any chance you have some numbers from Tom's sprint training? Would be interesting to hear how quick he is.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Meantime Carter has starred in Orange:

Carter stars as Waratahs relish chance to run the ball
January 31, 2010 - 12:07AM

NSW WARATAHS 83 FIJI WARRIORS 15

AN ENERGISED Waratahs side made light work of the visiting Fijian Warriors development side last night in Orange, with the return of numerous Wallabies lifting the side to a comfortable victory.

The match was less a contest and more an opportunity for the new-look back line to prove what it could do. There was little kicking from either side.

New recruit Berrick Barnes had his first run of the year with his new side, filling the No.10 role with ease in the first half and showing few signs of injury, but it was returning Wallaby ? ? ? Tom Carter who stole the show, scoring the first try of the match in a smooth back-line move and having a clear hand in almost every play after.

Carter seemed to embrace his newfound freedom at outside-centre
, making the most of the 40 minutes afforded to him on the field by running the ball at nearly every opportunity.

Flaws in the new Waratahs side seemed hard to spot against a weak opposition, but the few opportunities granted to the young Fijian side came through indiscretions at the breakdown. The power of Wycliff Palu and Tatafu Polota-Nau had a significant impact in every forward play, but the referee called the pack up on a number of occasions, giving the Fijians chances they failed to capitalise on.

The game provided both an insight into how the new-look Waratahs side is performing in the lead-up to the season opener, and a glimpse of some of the big names of the future throughout the second half. As the game appeared in complete control by the turn of the second half at 43-3, coach Chris Hickey was able to give 10 of his younger players an opportunity to prove themselves.

With the late removal of Drew Mitchell and Lachlan Turner from the squad, Nemani Nadolo stunned both the crowd and selectors with a scintillating performance at on the left wing,
slipping into a new style of running rugby from the Waratahs side with ease.

Nadolo thrived in a game nearly absent of clearing kicks, working with Kurtley Beale and Carter to gain a huge amount of territory throughout the match
, and score a stunning try following a 25-metre dash down the sideline. The sizeable Fijian opposition appeared not to faze him, as the massive winger broke through a number of tackles with each touch of the ball, taking valuable territory each time.

Meanwhile, in the forwards, Kane Douglas was again impressive, as the junior player proved once more his ability to rise and play at any level. Douglas took one of the bigger hits of the night, stopping one of the larger Fijian forwards in his tracks.

The side will now move down to Canberra, where they face their first real test of the year against a full-strength ACT Brumbies.

WARATAHS 83 (Peter Betham 2, Chris Alcock 2, Adam D'Arcy 2, Tom Carter, Al Baxter, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Nemani Nadolo, Kurtley Beale, Damien Fitzpatrick, Josh Holmes tries; Berrick Barnes 4 cons, Daniel Halangahu 4 cons, Brendan McKibbin con) d FIJI 15 (Anthony Wise, Mano Tamava tries; Koroi Yavala con, pen) at Wade Park, Orange.

Looks good, feels good, smells good - seen it all before.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Scarfman said:
What happened to Ben Jacobs? Should I look in the Troubador thread?

Ben's playing quite well for Wasps and has started in most of the games I have seen Wasps play in, but because they are not in the Heineken Cup you don't see so much of them as other teams. Sometimes he plays with Steve Kefu in the midfield.

The last time I saw him was in the Amlin Cup the weekend before last and he played well and it was good to see Nic Berry start for the other team Racing Metro, and he looked OK too. Nic did a TV commentary gig a couple of weeks ago and was not the worst.

Geez - don't the Racing crowd love Chabal?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Lee Grant said:
but it was returning Wallaby ? ? ? Tom Carter who stole the show, scoring the first try of the match in a smooth back-line move and having a clear hand in almost every play after.

Nothing like research...

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lee, you're going to the Tahs v Brumbies trial right? You travelling solo or going with someone?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Lee Grant said:
Meanwhile, in the forwards, Kane Douglas was again impressive, as the junior player proved once more his ability to rise and play at any level. Douglas took one of the bigger hits of the night, stopping one of the larger Fijian forwards in his tracks.

Pleasing news on Douglas at least. We badly need someone to step up at lock. I thought Mumm & Caldwell burnt out last year.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Noddy - probably going with my brother-in-law.

Won't go if it's likely to rain. It was a quagmire a few years ago at Viking Park when that happened.

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
Carter seemed to embrace his newfound freedom at outside-centre, making the most of the 40 minutes afforded to him on the field by running the ball at nearly every opportunity.

Yeah, running the ball himself and not passing to his wingers...

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Moses said:
I'm another Carter fan. To have someone in the backline who will tackle anything that moves and chase anything that is kicked is a big bonus.
Bruce Ross said:
From my knowledge of his strength and sprint training in the off-season, I believe that he currently has more than adequate speed for the outside centre position.
Bruce, any chance you have some numbers from Tom's sprint training? Would be interesting to hear how quick he is.

Moses, I have it from an authorative source that he is currently running around 5.1 for 40.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Henry said:
Carter seemed to embrace his newfound freedom at outside-centre, making the most of the 40 minutes afforded to him on the field by running the ball at nearly every opportunity.

Henry, you obviously have the advantage of me because I didn't go to Orange and watch the trial.

All I can go on is the Sun-Herald report which mentions that while Carter was on the field he had "a clear hand in almost every play". I also note that during that time the wingers scored 3 tries; so they must have been able to prise the ball off him a few times.

Novocastrian

Herbert Moran (7)
Bruce Ross said:
Henry said:

Henry, you obviously have the advantage of me because I didn't go to Orange and watch the trial.

All I can go on is the Sun-Herald report which mentions that while Carter was on the field he had "a clear hand in almost every play". I also note that during that time the wingers scored 3 tries; so they must have been able to prise the ball off him a few times.

Nice retort Bruce, though if it's the same Sun-Herald report that lists Carter as a returning Wallaby I'm not sure I'd be trusting it as gospel truth tbh. In fact, given there's no author listed on the article, there's no AAP/Reuters/Wires etc at the end of it I'd be willing to bet the report is a NSWRU press release (a view that I think is strengthened by the hyperbole of the story) so it's hardly going to heap shit on any of the Tah's even if it was deserved.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bruce Ross said:
I also note that during that time the wingers scored 3 tries; so they must have been able to prise the ball off him a few times.

Kurtley does have a great cut out pass! ;)

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Novocastrian, I don't know what happened after Lee Grant pasted the story but my copy of the Sun-Herald reads "returning midfielder Tom Carter". It looks as though they may have picked up and covered up their own mistake as it is difficult to make sense of "returning midfielder" - "returning" from what.

The newspaper article has the byline, Tom Lowrey, who seems to be one of their regular journos.

Novocastrian

Herbert Moran (7)
Bruce Ross said:
Novocastrian, I don't know what happened after Lee Grant pasted the story but my copy of the Sun-Herald reads "returning midfielder Tom Carter". It looks as though they may have picked up and covered up their own mistake as it is difficult to make sense of "returning midfielder" - "returning" from what.

The newspaper article has the byline, Tom Lowrey, who seems to be one of their regular journos.

Fair enough, I was going off the version of the article on the SMH website (which is what LG posted).

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Go have a look at the article on Foxsports - it shows Carter breaking the line and actually passing.

The defence of the Fijian boys looked ragged though.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
as president of the Tom Carter fan club, i would just like to extend the olive branch to all those nay sayers who are so quick to put people down.

The Man
The Legend
The Wallaby Saviour
TOM CARTER

Status
Not open for further replies.