• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
waratahjesus said:
The Wallaby Saviour

Would require him to be a Wallaby. Maybe an appearance in the "A" team would be good - how many "A" caps does he have BTW? :nta:

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Groucho said:
Lee Grant said:
I think that Beale lacks a bit of pace for the spot - to chase his own kicks in the current sytle - and to take advantage of broken play.

He is quick off the mark and fast enough as a 10 or 12 over 20 metres but he doesn't have gas that is serious.

But then Hewat had a couple of good years in that position and he was hardly Usain Bolt. Maybe Beale will get away with what he has in the Super14 at fullback but I think we will wonder a few times: what if he had that extra step on the guy who ran him down?

I'm surprised. You'd think a GPS 100m sprint champion (and hurdles too IIRC) would have some serious gas.
That was before he porked up. The build of a 17 yo sprinter is a bit different to a 20 yo professional rugby player, by necessity. Hence, still good acceleration, but less top speed. He's shifting 10-15 more kilos.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I'll tell you what though, against all my expectations he looked good on the wing vs the Cardiff Blues in EOYT match. Knew how to make the space and finish

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Groucho said:
Lee Grant said:
I think that Beale lacks a bit of pace for the spot - to chase his own kicks in the current sytle - and to take advantage of broken play. He is quick off the mark and fast enough as a 10 or 12 over 20 metres but he doesn't have gas that is serious.
I'm surprised. You'd think a GPS 100m sprint champion (and hurdles too IIRC) would have some serious gas.

That was before he hit the piss, and got his licence, and found girls, and put on a shitload of muscle and weight. Kurtley's Olympic sprinter days are well behind him.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Groucho said:

I wasn't a great time IIRR, because I looked it up at the time, and it wasn't the senior year - again IIRR. Pete Betham was heaps faster than Kurtley at Joeys and so were Lachlan Rosengreen (Grammar) and Lachie Turner (Newington); so they couldn't have been on the track.

I

Ishmael

Lee Grant said:
Groucho said:

I wasn't a great time IIRR, because I looked it up at the time, and it wasn't the senior year - again IIRR. Pete Betham was heaps faster than Kurtley at Joeys and so were Lachlan Rosengreen (Grammar) and Lachie Turner (Newington); so they couldn't have been on the track.

You a GPS lad Lee?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
i think the one thing Tahs fans, wait scarp that, Australian rugby fans, wait, scrap that again, Rugby fans and fans of the planet earth and humaity can attest to, its that the Tom Carter hate is starting to part like the sea for moses (the real one not he one that steals jokes and tells them badly) and he is barging through that gap like the elegant freight train he is, onwards and upwards to not only leading the tahs to the super 14 crown, not only single handedly bringing back the crowds and the ratings and all that jazz, but hopefully, if Hickey sticks with him and doesnt screw him around like he did to Tahu, hopefully at the end of the year a real coach will whisper in Deans ear 'hey, that guys awesome!' and Deans in his confused Kiwi (im making a difference) state will say, put him in a gold jersey and finally after years and years, world peace may just be within our reach!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Ishmael said:
You a GPS lad Lee?

No - my family went to NZ the year I started high school and I was there for about 7 years (in the country, I mean. :lmao:) My two sons, brother-in-law and his kids went to Joeys - and I became a Joeys tragic. I saw Kurtley when he was 13 in a trial game, before they scooted him up to the 15s, and my jaw dropped. Joeys had a good team in his 3 years in the Ones and some of the rugby they played was a joy to watch.

Agree on your analysis of the selection issue. As I said a while back on this thread: my preference would be Barnes 10. and Beale 12. but just mentioned that Hangers shouldn't be written off. He hasn't set the world on fire when he's had a chance for the Tahs - but didn't he look better when he had a ball player outside him in the RSA last year? His facilitating skills became evident.

But as I said in that earlier post and you have indicated also: 3 into 2 won't go.

I

Ishmael

Lee Grant said:
Ishmael said:
You a GPS lad Lee?

No - my family went to NZ the year I started high school and I was there for about 7 years (in the country, I mean. :lmao:) My two sons, brother-in-law and his kids went to Joeys - and I became a Joeys tragic. I saw Kurtley when he was 13 in a trial game, before they scooted him up to the 15s, and my jaw dropped. Joeys had a good team in his 3 years in the Ones and some of the rugby they played was a joy to watch.

Agree on your analysis of the selection issue. As I said a while back on this thread: my preference would be Barnes 10. and Beale 12. but just mentioned that Hangers shouldn't be written off. He hasn't set the world on fire when he's had a chance for the Tahs - but didn't he look better when he had a ball player outside him in the RSA last year? His facilitating skills became evident.

But as I said in that earlier post and you have indicated also: 3 into 2 won't go.

Ah, gotcha. I was a King's boy while a lot of these new youngsters were at school. Played against Turner in club rugby once. That Joeys team really was something special.

I know what you mean about Hangers though. He is a great facilitator. I just remember last year he got a massive leg up in the press, the same press that had been baying for the blood of Beale and Burgess, that in my eyes wasn't really warranted. He's a solid performer and if we didn't have Barnes coming in this year then I'd want him in the 10 shirt but given the players we have this year I can't really see him offering much.. Hickey seems to be a big fan though.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Lee Grant said:
No - my family went to NZ the year I started high school and I was there for about 7 years

The world must have been some crazy, mixed up place back then

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Ah - you know your Post WWII history. :lmao:

Ishmael,

May I call you Ishmael? :lmao:

As I have written before: Hickey may show a bit of loyalty to Hangers. The Force were after him and apparently Ulster were offering him $420,000 a year. Instead he accepted a contract at the Tahs for far less money.

He was offered a 2 year deal but accepted a one year deal instead so that he could go offshore if he hadn't nailed down the Tahs flyhalf spot by the end of the 2010 season.

Since then Barnes has been hired - and Humphries Jnr. is having blinder after blinder for Ulster.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Lee Grant said:
waratahjesus

Son - you have to stop reading James Joyce.

dont like cowboys lee, dont mind the od vodka though and i apologise, but it hink i still managed to capture the mood of the room!

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Beale was 100m sprint champion!? That astonishes me.

Ish is right about Mitchell, Beale, Turner, and Barnes having to play.

I'm going to guess that Mitchell has been promised 15, and Barnes 10, so let's slot Beale at 12 and Turner at wing. That leaves a wing spot for Anesi and the 13 for Carter, Horne or Sidey.

Reserves would be Hangers + one of the 13s. Easy to swap fullbacks and wings around if injured.

Let's call it:

10. Barnes
11. Anesi
12. Beale
13. Carter
14. Tuner
15. Mitchell

22. Halangahu
23. Sidey

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Not sure where else to put this, but I fear for the Waratahs scrum this season given the new ref approach to scrumming. They scrum very low and thus will most likely be involved in a lot of collapses from other sides who can't handle that. Given that refs this year are looking to identify and isolate sides who appear to be consistent scrumtime offenders (especially those leading to resets), I think there's a good chance that the Tahs could be blacklisted.

I'm not having a go at the Tahs here and, tbh, I'm assuming they are involved in a lot of resets because the wallabies are. Maybe they aren't. But if they are, and even if they are only because other sides can't legally handle what the Tahs are legally dishing out to them, it could be a big problem which could well carry on after the S14 to besmirch the Wallaby scrum next 3N. I know that for the past couple of seasons rugby365.com has made a point of writing features pointing to how many Aussie sides are involved in frequent scrum collapses compared to their NZ and SA counterparts.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Scarfman said:
Beale was 100m sprint champion!? That astonishes me.

Ish is right about Mitchell, Beale, Turner, and Barnes having to play.

I'm going to guess that Mitchell has been promised 15, and Barnes 10, so let's slot Beale at 12 and Turner at wing. That leaves a wing spot for Anesi and the 13 for Carter, Horne or Sidey.

Reserves would be Hangers + one of the 13s. Easy to swap fullbacks and wings around if injured.

Let's call it:

10. Barnes
11. Anesi
12. Beale
13. Carter
14. Tuner
15. Mitchell

22. Halangahu
23. Sidey

I would prefer Horne at 13 and Carter on the bench.

I've seen very little talk here on No.9. Is Burgess starting v the Brumbies? Of those who have seen the trial games, what's the consensus so far?

I

Ishmael

Burgess is starting vs the Brumbies. I reckon he'll get the first crack at the 9 jumper but Holmes has apparently been doing very well in the trials as well and Mckibbin's goal kicking will be a real asset for him. Could be a great tussle as the season goes along. I think the Tahs' style of play will suit Holmes much better than the Brumbies'.

Status
Not open for further replies.