• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Everyone loves the fact that Aus rugby seems to turn out a new bunch of golden boys every year... but personally, I get the shits when players are rushed into elite level footy before they are ready. I don't mind outside backs (and to a lesser extent 2nd row & loose forwards) 'learning on the job' but fuck, anyone who wears jumper numbers 1, 2, 3 or 9 & 10 should be left alone to learn their trade in colts and lower grades, then Premier Rugby, before they are even considered for full-time, pro level footy.

I'll concede that there will always be exceptions to the rule, however they are few and far between.

Well said. An "Agree" doesn't quite do it for me as this has been a hobby horse of mine. I get the shits with knee jerk replies:

- if they are good enough they are old enough
- the coaches know what they are doing
- what about JOC (James O'Connor), Horan (teenagers who were not injured) etc?

These are not cogent arguments. I suspect that few of these naysayers are, or have been, parents of young elite players.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Speaking of locks, has anyone heard how Will Caldwell is going? Last I heard he had stepped away from rugby due to Crohn's disease, but it would great to have him back.

Interesting that the press hasn't had a word on him. Proof that they dont care about anything real and will not let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Tatafu Polota-Nau said:
Don't read the papers mate.

T

TOCC

Interesting that the press hasn't had a word on him. Proof that they dont care about anything real and will not let the truth get in the way of a good story.

huh, there was a article on him the other day?

T

TOCC

im not sure the details, but im sure i read a article about him stepping away from rugby for 12 months..
i guess it could have been a NSWRU press release

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The Tahs may be in a world of problems next year at 10. Hangers is at best average at Super level, I feel more and more that Barnes will be forced to retire this year (ala Flatley) and now Beale is gone. This year really is make or break for this Tahs team, the core skills of the side will be gone next year, Burgess, Beale, Barnes, Baxter, possibly Mumm. So next year with a new coach and missing those core units will be entering yet another rebuilding time.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Well said. An "Agree" doesn't quite do it for me as this has been a hobby horse of mine. I get the shits with knee jerk replies:

- if they are good enough they are old enough
- the coaches know what they are doing
- what about JOC (James O'Connor), Horan (teenagers who were not injured) etc?

These are not cogent arguments. I suspect that few of these naysayers are, or have been, parents of young elite players.

When I was at Uni - more years ago now than I care to recall I read a Sports Physiology paper that discussed injuries in adolescent sports people. In short basic terms it proposed that injuries to developing joints could prevent full correct development of the joint injured thereby causing permanent impairment and preventing the athlete from reaching their full adult potential. There were a whole raft of proposals around coaching and injury management for younger athletes to minimise the risks from this that I just don't recall now. The core of the paper stayed with me though as it made pure sense and supports you view Lee that the players especially the larger heavier forwards should not be rushed until their bodies have fully developed.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Mumm gone? You reckon? He's probably our next captain.

Just a feeling, the ARU declined to offer a top up remember. I should also have added that Waugh will also most likely retire after the RWC (maybe before if he gets overlooked again).

T

TOCC

Just a feeling, the ARU declined to offer a top up remember. I should also have added that Waugh will also most likely retire after the RWC (maybe before if he gets overlooked again).

no they didnt, mumm has already re-signed with the ARU and Tahs for 2012.. likewise with barnes

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
I hope phil stays and does a sharpie and mortlock. He'll still be of value to the team in years to come, even from the bench. The tahs need his resilient attitude and leadership.

People used to talk about him forcing a negative game plan. That drivel seems to have dried up. Every time he's been of the field this year the tahs have looked worse for it. They look like they might fall apart given the slightest run for their money.

I fear the day Mumm is our captain. I hope he improves cos I do like the guy, but his performances to date have not been encouraging.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
My only concern with Waugh is that as an openside he appears to be taking longer than most others to get to the breakdown.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
"Although his future is still undecided, Hickey ruled out the possibility NSW might make a play for James O'Connor following Kurtley Beale's defection to the Melbourne Rebels.
The Tahs will need a versatile player to fill Beale's spot on the roster, but Hickey said that if the Waratahs had the sort of money O'Connor was chasing, they could have afforded to keep Beale on their books."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...stretch-tahs-to-the-limit-20110416-1diz4.html

interesting little dig from hickey after he was so diplomatic during the week.

T

TOCC

"Although his future is still undecided, Hickey ruled out the possibility NSW might make a play for James O'Connor following Kurtley Beale's defection to the Melbourne Rebels.
The Tahs will need a versatile player to fill Beale's spot on the roster, but Hickey said that if the Waratahs had the sort of money O'Connor was chasing, they could have afforded to keep Beale on their books."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...stretch-tahs-to-the-limit-20110416-1diz4.html

interesting little dig from hickey after he was so diplomatic during the week.

what makes it even more interesting is that as per the RUPA agreement the coaches aren't allowed to talk to players about the value of contracts...

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
One advantage of the longer season is that we are going to get a better look at some real issues for next year:
  • Is Berrick going to suffer repeated concussions and have to retire?
  • Are Mumm and Douglas going to get out of their form slumps or do we really have to recruit three new locks?
  • Can Horne play three games in a row without picking up a long term injury?
  • Is Kepu our long term THP and is Baxter on the cusp of retirement?
  • Has Waugh's ability to play on through injury finally run out?
  • Who is our next captain? Mumm is not a good candidate, he needs to be dropped for Mowen so Dennis can start at 6.
  • Is Turner next year's 15?
  • Is Foley the best option to replace Hickey? Nice bloke Hickey, but he lacks the hard-nosed winners ability to get the best out of the team and he has some bad blindspots.

Half way through the competition, already obvious we can't make first or second therefore can't win, and a whole slew of issues for next year.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
what makes it even more interesting is that as per the RUPA agreement the coaches aren't allowed to talk to players about the value of contracts...

is that really true? surely that has to be a rule no one adheres to. a coach should be part of any contract negotiation in my opinion, they dont control the purse strings, but there not saying the coach should excuse himself from the table if money comes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.