• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjw

Larry Dwyer (12)
Can someone confirm if membership cards have been sent out yet?

I got my hat and other crap just before Christmas but there were no membership cards in the package. Is that correct or did something go wrong with mine?
I was wondering the same thing.

mjw

Larry Dwyer (12)
Just wandered out to get the mail and I find a letter from the Waratahs and an apology from the merchandise supplier for the incorrect label in the members cap.
But no season tickets yet.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I'm not sure why they'd send them out separately, but they haven't come yet. Perhaps it has something to do with encoding entry for the Lions tour game or something? Who knows?

Presumably they'll arrive in the next couple of weeks.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'm not sure why they'd send them out separately, but they haven't come yet. Perhaps it has something to do with encoding entry for the Lions tour game or something? Who knows?

Presumably they'll arrive in the next couple of weeks.

Probably two different suppliers, the Tahs would pay each supplier to process each order, they just supply the instructions.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
We lost Sione Piukala, who played in a Shute Shield premiership winning team, not to another province, but to French rugby. He was a very good, young, strong, 12.

He was a far better prospect than some of the dross that is still in the Tahs squad.

Piukala was a good 12 and I believe he could have made it at S15 level, but I'm led to believe there may have been some (lack of) training issues. How is he going in France?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yeah, he was probably good enough for a Super squad but you couldn't blame him for going offshore after being overlooked so often and not being the youngest promising player anymore.

He committed himself for playing for Tonga and a Top14 club. Having already played in test matches he is no longer eligible for a Super contract because he will not be a marquee player.

He is not a sure bet starting player in big matches, but gets his fair share of games for USAP. He's had a couple of near-blinders when I have watched him this season.

Good luck to him.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Piukala was a good 12 and I believe he could have made it at S15 level, but I'm led to believe there may have been some (lack of) training issues. How is he going in France?

Wasn't the issue with Piukala that he was already capped for Tonga which meant that he could only be picked up as a marquee player?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
His first cap was on 10 Nov 2012 - v. Scotland (won by Tonga); so it wouldn't have been an issue for Super Rugby until then.

Most likely he made his decision to go offshore for the 2012/13 northern season and to commit himself to Tonga, well over a year ago when he did not pick up a 2012 Super or EPS contract.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Surely it'd be more along the lines of McKibbin, Barnes, Turner, Horne, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Mitchell and Foley? Hart, Carter and Folau on the bench?

I really can't see the Tahs' backline putting shivers up and down the spines of any of the top S15 teams. Barnes at 10 will again result in a kick-fest. Not good for any of your outside backs. Horne out of position at 12. Carter, as everyone knows, can be a bigger liability than asset. Mitchell (once one of the best wingers around) injury prone, and not the same player he once was. Folau already in the team without proving himself at Shute Shield level first - quite a gamble. Where's Kingston? Would probably be a better option than either Mitchell or Folau at this stage. Not impressed with Volavola in either the Shute Shield or 20s world cup. Think he will be out of his depth in Super rugby.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I don't think Folau would have to prove himself at Shute Shield level, he can do that in the trials. Worth the gamble, don't you think? Particularly in view of the attacking frailties that you have described so eloquently.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I really can't see the Tahs' backline putting shivers up and down the spines of any of the top S15 teams. Barnes at 10 will again result in a kick-fest. Not good for any of your outside backs. Horne out of position at 12. Carter, as everyone knows, can be a bigger liability than asset. Mitchell (once one of the best wingers around) injury prone, and not the same player he once was. Folau already in the team without proving himself at Shute Shield level first - quite a gamble. Where's Kingston? Would probably be a better option than either Mitchell or Folau at this stage. Not impressed with Volavola in either the Shute Shield or 20s world cup. Think he will be out of his depth in Super rugby.

Not a Tah's supporter hey.
People werent rating the Brumbies at the start of last year - they played good rugby.
Nathan's thought out team you rated - they wouldnt be my choice either, but I do think there personel is there to have a cracker year with the right "game plan". I am not a Carter fan either more due to his antics, I've seen stats though over previous years and the stats are good - stats dont win matches though, with the right players either side of him who knows?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Not a Tah's supporter hey.
People werent rating the Brumbies at the start of last year - they played good rugby.
Nathan's thought out team you rated - they wouldnt be my choice either, but I do think there personel is there to have a cracker year with the right "game plan". I am not a Carter fan either more due to his antics, I've seen stats though over previous years and the stats are good - stats dont win matches though, with the right players either side of him who knows?

You have found me out. I have to admit to being a Brumbies' fan. But I do have an interest in, and closely follow the Shute Shield, so I think I can offer some observations about those players who make it (or don't as the case may be) into the Tahs from time to time. First, though, I would distinguish between the Brumbies last year and the Tahs this year. The Brumbies 2012 were almost entirely new from the preceeding year, a bit like the Reds in 2011. The Tahs still have last year's look to them. It beats me that the Tahs' recruitment seems to consistently overlook some of the best Shute Shield performers who then go interstate or overseas, eg, Puikala (as mentioned above), Tuatura-Morrison (who could be a Wallaby 12 or 13), Mowen, McCabe and Holmes recently to the Brumbies, and so on. Past brain explosions include George Smith and Michael Hooper. The best lead in to S15 is the Shute Shield yet the Tahs consistently seem to not make the most of it. The current backline, imo, is a prime example.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Meh. The Tahs can only hold onto 30 players at any one time, of course blokes are going to go to other franchises/overseas. And some of those blokes may even succeed. Good for them. Tuatara-Morrison and Piukala are both good players, but we have plenty of blokes of their standard in our team at the moment. Missing out on them hardly keeps me up at night.

As for the players you named, you damn your own province with faint praise. A lot of the people you mention- McCabe, Smith, Hooper, even Mowen, have been heavily developed by the Brumbies after leaving Sydney. It wasn't like they were superstars who were somehow overlooked by the Tahs recruiters. Instead of kicking the Tahs, how about praising the Brumbies for their brilliant development of these players?

A similar result may have been achieved at other teams, but you never know.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't know why you think the Tahs have any greater ownership over the Shute Shield players than any other franchise.

The reality with the players you have mentioned is that the Tahs couldn't provide them with the opportunities required and they went elsewhere.

If George Smith was a year older than Phil Waugh rather than the other way around, chances are Smith would have been a Waratahs legend and Waugh would have played for the Brumbies.

Mowen wanted a one year contract so he could sign a better one as his value rose. The Tahs weren't going to sign him for only one year and he went to the Brumbies. If we'd thrown money at Mowen I'd guess we would have lost Dennis to the Rebels for next year. I'm pretty glad we've kept Dennis personally.

McCabe is a good player to cite as the Tahs did reject him. Clearly that was a bad move as he turned into a very good player. I'm happy to concede that one as a situation where the Tahs made a poor choice.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
9. McKibbin
10. Foley
11. Mitchell
12. Carter
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Turner/Folau
15. Barnes

20. Hart/Lucas
21. Horne
22. Folau/Turner/Kingston

I don't mind this team. Plenty of experience and enough talent to worry a most teams. I think Folau is worth the risk early on to see what he offers. If it doesn't work out you have Turner and Kingston who are both good options.

From the sounds of things they are working hard at training and are focused on skill execution so things must be heading in the right direction.

The big difference between Cheika and Foley is their background. Cheika is a Randwick boy who understands skilful attacking rugby. Foley is a Connelly disciple and is focused on low risk, pressure the opposition rugby. The Tah's backline will benefit greatly from the change in style in 2013.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
First, though, I would distinguish between the Brumbies last year and the Tahs this year. The Brumbies 2012 were almost entirely new from the preceeding year, a bit like the Reds in 2011. The Tahs still have last year's look to them. It beats me that the Tahs' recruitment seems to consistently overlook some of the best Shute Shield performers who then go interstate or overseas, eg, Puikala (as mentioned above), Tuatura-Morrison (who could be a Wallaby 12 or 13), Mowen, McCabe and Holmes recently to the Brumbies, and so on. Past brain explosions include George Smith and Michael Hooper. The best lead in to S15 is the Shute Shield yet the Tahs consistently seem to not make the most of it. The current backline, imo, is a prime example.

Yes agree, this is where we I think we will have problems, Tah's have aluded to it on their website player profiles. We have 2 Centres, 1 Inside = Carter / 2 Outside Horne listed out of 35 players and that is where I'm having problems with me selctions.

I said they wouldn't be my first choice either I like and I know others will debate;
9 - Lucas
10 - Lane
12 - Carter @ 12 (hurts).
13 - Lost, ref bellow (maybe Turner, whilst Falau develops??)
11 & 14 - Betham & Kingston on the wings.
15 - Barnes or Foley @ 15 - choice comes down to the back three mix, I want them playing rugby not kicking.

Carter is a stable low risk player, and he is a "12" - Barnes is also stable / low risk with great visibility I think Barnes may add more value at the back with the right mix.

13 - I'm lost, picking Carter & Horne I think will limit our attack, I want to see the right angles being run, wholes being hit, and distribution to the wingmen. I havent seen Horne do that for a number of years now. Maybe Turner ??? he's played there for the Woodies??

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
13 - I'm lost, picking Carter & Horne I think will limit our attack, I want to see the right angles being run, wholes being hit, and distribution to the wingmen. I havent seen Horne do that for a number of years now. Maybe Turner ??? he's played there for the Woodies??

Why not AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)?

I've been out for a while, have I missed something?

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I think the Tahs have potentially a very deadly back 3 and outside centre outside options but i feel that there inside backs while servicable, are not the kind of players that can individually pose threats to the defence (like Genis for instance).

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Why not AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)?
I've been out for a while, have I missed something?

On the Tah's website listed as Fullback.

I had him, but everybody says he can't pass, and only this morning some one said he would be suited to league??? -
I've seen him do good things but it all depends on angles, inside players creating wholes, and distribution as well to the wingmen.

I'm believe Lucas with his background will create spark around the ruck, think and be quick in his desisions, Lane plays on the game line, creates doubt in the oposition, and provide options outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.