• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Turner looked good when he came on last week. Giving him another opportunity seems like a good idea to me.

Betham is only 24 and my thinking is that his 2012 ITM Cup season was his breakout year. At least that's what I hope.

I think both those guys are worthy of getting a run. I can't imagine Drew will be out of the matchday 22 for more than a week or two. I really don't think it is a big deal.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Ever since I saw him play in the winning U20s (?) world cup, I have been a fan of Lachie Turner, but over the years he has not reached the heights of Drew Mitchell. Peter Betham had some time with the Brumbies but couldn't nail down a position. He looked good in the ITM but some (probably most) of those games were not up to S15 standard. I don't think there is any evidence that Peter would offer more than Drew.

By the way, if Drew was dropped for losing the ball after making the best break by a Tahs player in the game, then some more of those retained should also make way. And one more thing; Drew's kicking game will be sorely missed.

I must say that it bewilders me that so many changes have to be made to the team at this stage because there is a problem playing a new style of football. I expect the replacements will have even less success with the new game plan than those who have at least been playing it so far. Where's the coach's confidence in the team?

I thought the best break was Timani's up the middle, but no bastard was with him or working hard enough to get with him

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I really like Drew Mitchell. As other have said, he just seems like a real class act and that injury in 2011 came right when I think he could have challenged to be the best winger in the world.

I hope he come back from this strong. Given all the stuff he seems to have done off-the-field for the Tahs while he's been injured, I'm struggling to see why he's being dropped. I'd have him over 20 Lachie Turners every day of the week and all Saturday and Sunday as well.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
It seems like Cheika is trying to shake things up, get the players hungry, etc. Maybe he knew that Mitchell would respond the right way.

If he wasn't captain, I reckon Dennis would be resting this week too.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
It seems like Cheika is trying to shake things up, get the players hungry, etc. Maybe he knew that Mitchell would respond the right way.

If he wasn't captain, I reckon Dennis would be resting this week too.

Then change your captain.....

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Cheika has berated his players for not doing enough off the ball on attack.

As one who has seen the Waratahs train more than most, I can report that this is not from a lack of interest in the matter from the coaching staff. They are constantly at them on this point and train for it.

The number of tackles the team is missing must also frustrate the coaches. As ever this is not just the actual tackling, but includes getting into positions quickly to make them with a shoulder rather than a grabbing arm.

The Tahs seem slow to react to situations so they can do this - especially when they turn the ball over. The same applies for favourable turnovers. Again, these are matters they train for with seeming diligence.

The turnovers themselves seem careless, but too often it is from team mates not up the bums of the ball carriers to help them out.

If the Tahs are not coachable it is well that folks are talking about getting some who are - and their names and rugby pedigree should not matter.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
The Tahs have their second bye in mid April so it's a good chance to do some community engagement.
Why on earth does it require a bye week to get out to schools? There's no reason they can't do a minimum of fortnightly visits, and I'd argue any non-playing squad members should be out there twice a week.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Why on earth does it require a bye week to get out to schools? There's no reason they can't do a minimum of fortnightly visits, and I'd argue any non-playing squad members should be out there twice a week.

Well according to the podcast this week the Tahs have done over 1000 visits in the last year. So the perception here that they aren't getting out in the community may be a little off the mark.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
Chieka has shown his mark IMO and the team is forming in the basic structure to run the ball and attack. Execution as in week 1 is shockingly poor.
I agree 100%

The Tahs really made a HUGE mistake when they elected to keep Dennis and let Mowen go.
This is a marvelous and fantastical rewrite of history. The Tahs let Mowen go to GET ROCKY. By my standards, that is a far worse crime, but Dennis simply did not enter into the equation at that point.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This is a marvelous and fantastical rewrite of history. The Tahs let Mowen go to GET ROCKY. By my standards, that is a far worse crime, but Dennis simply did not enter into the equation at that point.

I think that is also a re-write of history. The two events were not close to each other. This has been done to death on this forum though.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
Timani can hit hard when he wants to and is rather strong in the scrum but cannot jump in the lineout and generally stays behind play.
Leaving aside any other disputes who's played well/hasn't (Volavola imploded in a big, big way last week, Dennis and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) solid but not wallaby-certainty standard, Carter himself) the issue I find interesting is that of Chapman.

His strength has been championed as his lineout play. Did anyone see just how entirely atrocious our lineout was against the Brumbies? Not to mention his lack of impact elsewhere. I think that his core skillset, his biggest advantage, did not work at all well for the team and he's been benched accordingly. I think, to be fair, that Timani had better be working on his lineouts otherwise he'll be a glorified 8 all his career.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
Well according to the podcast this week the Tahs have done over 1000 visits in the last year. So the perception here that they aren't getting out in the community may be a little off the mark.
I'd like to see some evidence of that happening, and of them running skills drills, giving away a little merch and generally getting kids excited. I'd also like to see some evidence that 30 of those 1000 aren't the lads heading to Newington for a good old-boys gabfest and a bit of training. I'm skeptical, I know, but that's how I've come to interpret such things.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Surely it would be more surprising if Cheika was not experimenting a bit, at this early stage of the season. He has only been back in Oz for a few short months, he has a lot of catching up to do in terms of really understanding his player resources in game situations.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
His strength has been championed as his lineout play. Did anyone see just how entirely atrocious our lineout was against the Brumbies? Not to mention his lack of impact elsewhere. I think that his core skillset, his biggest advantage, did not work at all well for the team and he's been benched accordingly. I think, to be fair, that Timani had better be working on his lineouts otherwise he'll be a glorified 8 all his career.

I think the biggest issue with our lineout last weekend was Holmes playing his first game and getting a lot of throws wrong either throw being not straight or just completely missing the jumper.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'd like to see some evidence of that happening, and of them running skills drills, giving away a little merch and generally getting kids excited. I'd also like to see some evidence that 30 of those 1000 aren't the lads heading to Newington for a good old-boys gabfest and a bit of training. I'm skeptical, I know, but that's how I've come to interpret such things.

Well I am not the man to provide that.

But they do publicise a lot of it on Twitter, and on their website. Short of a personal letter to you with a spreadsheet I'm not sure there is much more they can do.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Forgive me if this is not what you're saying but I'm reading between that lines here that you're implying that Drew Mitchell is not coachable?!

I think that Mitchell is being expected to be more of a leader on and off the field

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I thought the best break was Timani's up the middle, but no bastard was with him or working hard enough to get with him

Was a good break but didn't threaten the tryline like Drew's did. And as well as having no support, Timani was dropped by the smallest man in the Brumbies, Nic White. A tough little rooster.

Status
Not open for further replies.