• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Right, forget that Wallabies stuff, we've got a Super title to win. Three devlish hard games in three weeks, two against teams who must win to survive and one against the old enemy. We must win all three to get the home final so necessary to do any good.

I suggest:
  • Ryan to start and Kepu to finish. Kepu has been huge in the tests, he needs some rest this week before starting the last two games.
  • Pots and Douglas to start, they'll be well rested.
  • Skelton to replace Palu at half time, Palu needs rest time after today's heroics. Pots to 6 and Dennis to 8.
  • Hooper to be replaced this week as soon as we've got a good lead and definitely before 60. He is starting to show signs of fatigue in his handling.
  • Backline selects itself with Alofa to start on the wing.
  • We absolutely have to smash them in the forwards. That's where they got us last time along with the 10/12 channel
  • We need to develop some special plays to clear the ball past the 10/12 channel and attack further out. And revive the short kick to the blind that was working so well for the first ten minutes of the last game to stop the rush defence.
  • They will be weaker in the scrum without Alexander and Moore. We need to target this.
All the players to be revved up as to why this week must be perfect. Four tries would be nice, but the absolute imperative is four points for a win. We can go for five in the last two games.

Alofa Alofa looked very ginger on his knee playing for Wests yesterday.

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Alofa Alofa looked very ginger on his knee playing for Wests yesterday.
Agreed. Wonder what Cheika's contingency plan might look like considering Betham is already down (and Crawford's form is way down). I'd like to see Naiyaravoro start one game in order for him not to be suddenly called upon in the semis without any experience, though Carraro is most likely to be elevated from the bench. He could always bring Lance into the midfield and shift AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) out, though I expect he'd be reticent to mess with the midfield combo. The final option is Volavola, though I can't see him used unless it gets critical.

With 7 forwards injured in the Brumbies squad and at least McCabe under an injury cloud it might be a good opportunity to give Naiyaravoro a run given the inherent fitness of our squad. Certainly not suggesting anything as adventurous as (unspeakable, shhh) leading into semis in 02, just one fresh face to man up against a pretty effective Brumbies outside backs combo rather than risk Alofa (who was hobbling on Saturday).

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Agreed. Wonder what Cheika's contingency plan might look like considering Betham is already down (and Crawford's form is way down). I'd like to see Naiyaravoro start one game in order for him not to be suddenly called upon in the semis without any experience, though Carraro is most likely to be elevated from the bench. He could always bring Lance into the midfield and shift AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) out, though I expect he'd be reticent to mess with the midfield combo. The final option is Volavola, though I can't see him used unless it gets critical.

With 7 forwards injured in the Brumbies squad and at least McCabe under an injury cloud it might be a good opportunity to give Naiyaravoro a run given the inherent fitness of our squad. Certainly not suggesting anything as adventurous as (unspeakable, shhh) leading into semis in 02, just one fresh face to man up against a pretty effective Brumbies outside backs combo rather than risk Alofa (who was hobbling on Saturday).
Think he would be looking for the least disruption to the team as possible and therefore pick Carraro, U wouidnt move AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in million years. Naiyaravoro may get the start or he may go to crawford as brumbies kick alot and crawford has best kick back.

Something from left field would be to elevate u/20 winger Kellaway, He has trained with the tahs and scored more tries then anyone ever has at the recent world cup

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
While I wouldn't mind seeing Kellaway in blue, I think with the minor premiership in reach, Cheika should take the safest option if Alofa is out, which is Carraro. I personally think he's too slow to be the first choice, but the Tahs can't start experimenting now. I want the winger who would do the least harm. Someone else can score the tries.
Can anyone say how Naiyaravoro is doing at Parramatta so far? Specifically as a defender.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Surely Crawford has to be there over Carraro. I know some have said Crawford's Shute Shield form hasn't been great but Cararro barely looks like a Super rugby when he plays Shute Shield.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Surely Crawford has to be there over Carraro. I know some have said Crawford's Shute Shield form hasn't been great but Cararro barely looks like a Super rugby when he plays Shute Shield.
If it's on SS form it's
1 Nairayaforo
2 Cararro
3 Crawford
I don't necessarily agree that Cheika would want a kicker like Crawford, against an expected long range kicking game.
He might well want his back 3 to embrace the challenge and take them on with the ball in hand.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
When are the Tahs going to drop Dennis. Skelton and Potegieter are much better.

Dennis is not the greatest player in the Tahs, but he is precisely the type of depth player that all Super sides need.

I have always maintained that the Tahs made a huge mistake in retaining Dennis and Elsom and letting Mowen go. A huge mistake. What is done is done, but retention of Dennis is essential for the Tahs as much as keeping players like Palu and Pots. Simply because the Super comp. requires squad rotation and with the limited size of the squad a decent sub to cover multiple positions is required, one who plays at a consistent level. That is Dennis to a T.

I would add Hoiles to that as well, he has been very good.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Dennis is not the greatest player in the Tahs, but he is precisely the type of depth player that all Super sides need.

I have always maintained that the Tahs made a huge mistake in retaining Dennis and Elsom and letting Mowen go. A huge mistake. What is done is done, but retention of Dennis is essential for the Tahs as much as keeping players like Palu and Pots. Simply because the Super comp. requires squad rotation and with the limited size of the squad a decent sub to cover multiple positions is required, one who plays at a consistent level. That is Dennis to a T.

I would add Hoiles to that as well, he has been very good.

This is all true but what im saying is, drop him to the bench. Every team has there strongest 15 they would like to start with and currently Dennis is in that team, being the captain and all. If Skelton, Dennis, Douglas, and Palu make it to the Grand Final uninjured Dennis shouldn't start.

Drop him to the bench. Rotate him as necessary but at the end of the day I want to see Skelton, Potgeiter, Palu have first preference.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Can anyone say how Naiyaravoro is doing at Parramatta so far? Specifically as a defender.
Not ready.
Will be a good player, without doubt, but he isn't ready yet. And I'm not just saying that so we can have him for our run to the semis. Mind you, his try today was a joy to watch. Probably frightening to defend against.

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Not ready.
Will be a good player, without doubt, but he isn't ready yet. And I'm not just saying that so we can have him for our run to the semis. Mind you, his try today was a joy to watch. Probably frightening to defend against.
Sorry if this is too far off topic, but what was the score today? Tahs website says Manly 280 v Parramatta 15... oh really? And was Taqele in 12,13 or on the wing?

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Sorry if this is too far off topic, but what was the score today? Tahs website says Manly 280 v Parramatta 15. oh really? And was Taqele in 12,13 or on the wing?
Manly 28 Parra 15. Three tries to two.

And yes, Taqele was at 12, 13 and 11 - at various stages! Coach Fasavalu moves our centres and wings around a bit during the matches.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Watch some tape of Carraro for the tahs aside from one bad match he has been very good and scored some good tries. He isnt a world beater but neither is Crawford. Its not a clear cut thing either way.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
This Randwick knocking is getting tired & boring.
Hahahah but kinda nice all the same reminds me of an era when people knocked us because we were flogging them. This thread would dead set blow up if Chieka had opted for Hoiles over Dennis after the reds win.

Dennis was very good in the last match though and hopefully keeps that form through the tail end of the year.

Fowi

Chris McKivat (8)
Carraro will start and Taqele will be on the bench most likely. Hopefully to add some impact late in the game, steamroll over a few tired Brumbies boys.

To'omua is also out for the Brumbies so this really has become a must win for the Tahs. Hopefully on the back of a good test series and seeing Izzy and Skelton play well for the Wallabies a nice crowd will get out to ANZ to support the team.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Can someone in the know please put up an injured Tahs list.

Also, could someone(else) comment on the Tahs players performances in the SS on the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.