• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
I reckon White's insistence that Brumbies players were available for the Dent Cup was significant, but your theory makes for a better story.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Maybe he was a dickhead back then too?

Haha, funny you say that, because there are stories to that effect, along with the huge rap he had on himself. In fact, someone on here once mentioned talking to his high school coach who said pretty much JOC (James O'Connor)'s biggest problem would be JOC (James O'Connor) himself, ego, sense of entitlement, always pushing the boundaries of what he could get away with, etc all existed back then.

I think he also went to Nudgee College, which certainly wouldn't have helped.

And pretty sure JOC (James O'Connor) finished year 12 in Brisbane before heading out West. Seeing as most kids in Brisbane finish school at 17, he probably made his debut at 17, and I'm sure wasn't in high school at the time. Pocock was the same; finished year 12 at Churchie when 17 then went to WA, played Super Rugby the next year before his 18th birthday, but definitely after finishing school.

Regarding kids signed right out of school, there's quite a few these days, it's not unusual. Just using second rowers for instance, Peterson was one I am pretty sure, and sadly he didn't kick on. He was a bit hyped. Pheonix Battye I believe was another? As was Luke Jones, I think? For the record, the first kid signed straight out of school in Australia was one Elton Flatley.

On topic, keen to see Kellawy, there's been a fair bit of hype around him now and unfortunately I missed the U20s World Cup as I don't have iQ and was at work. If only freaking Foxtel would allow sports on catch up.

Alaatoa is another I am keen to see - last really hyped U20s prop who dominated scrums we had was PAE and I still have high hopes for him. Anyone know what province he is likely to head to?

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Alaatoa is another I am keen to see - last really hyped U20s prop who dominated scrums we had was PAE and I still have high hopes for him. Anyone know what province he is likely to head to?
@Ash Ala'alatoa is signed to the Brumbies - for how long, I think a year.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
And pretty sure JOC (James O'Connor) finished year 12 in Brisbane before heading out West. Seeing as most kids in Brisbane finish school at 17, he probably made his debut at 17, and I'm sure wasn't in high school at the time. Pocock was the same; finished year 12 at Churchie when 17 then went to WA, played Super Rugby the next year before his 18th birthday, but definitely after finishing school.

Regarding kids signed right out of school, there's quite a few these days, it's not unusual. Just using second rowers for instance, Peterson was one I am pretty sure, and sadly he didn't kick on. He was a bit hyped. Pheonix Battye I believe was another? As was Luke Jones, I think? For the record, the first kid signed straight out of school in Australia was one Elton Flatley.

Peterson was in the Tahs academy for 2 years before getting a full contract in his 3rd year out of school. Based on Battye's date of birth, he finished school in 2008 and was contracted to the Force in 2011 after being Aus U20s and Tahs academy in 2010. However Luke Jones is correct. Finished school in 2009, contracted to the Force in 2010. IIRC, he earned a couple of caps off the bench in 2010.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah, I was lazy with in including kids in the EPS, which probably wasn't really correct (actually, probably was wrong). Thought Battye was included in an EPS, but am probably wrong. Being lazy, I could have included PAE, who I am pretty sure went into the Reds EPS (Academy?) straight out of high school, and then a year or so later I think got a full contract from the Force.

Forwards like Luke Jones being signed out of school to a full pro contract are a very significant development, as tight forwards generally require some bulk and most kids won't get there till they have filled out until they are into are their early 20s. Look at how long it has taken Jones to nail down a starting spot in a Super Rugby team. Pocock, being a flanker and already very developed at 17, was not such a surprise as he was more an exception.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
JOC (James O'Connor)? No way was he watched more than a couple of his contemporaries in the schools team at the time. I think that I recall him playing a fair bit off the bench in school rep teams. Cooper, for example, I thought was much more hyped than JOC (James O'Connor) from high school.

Going back a few years in Queensland, there have been a few high school stars that have stood out that were watched closely in Queensland. Flatley, KHunt, and Peter Hynes are three that I remember.

Beale would have to be the most hyped school kid that I can recall in NSW.
JOC (James O'Connor) had the league guys salivating and chasing him at 15/16 years of age with many making the visit up to Qld to negotiate with his family.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
What the hell does JOC (James O'Connor) have to do with the Waratahs 2015 thread? Nothing I sincerely hope!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is The Brand still under (notional) contract to West Harbour Pirates?

We might see him back in Olde Sydney Towne, if and when his Northern Adventure Gap Year is over.

Doesn't mean that he will be playing for the Tahs though.

Remember that his two old besties from Melbourne days both live here - Buddy and Kurtley.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Full. He was on EPS this year signed to full next year

Allan A, who was in the Oz U20s for three years is going to be a considerable player - and he's a tighthead prop.

Oops this is the Tahs thread.

The Tahs have had brother Mike, who is bigger and older and is a loosehead prop, training with them. He played in their Gen Blue (2nds) team - and packed down directly against brother Allan playing for the Brumbies 2nds.

See bottom of 1st page and also photo gallery for photos:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/emerging-players-put-their-hands-up-in-pacific-rugby-cup/

The jury is still out on LHP Mike, but THP Allan is going places - hopefully back home.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Allan A, who was in the Oz U20s for three years is going to be a considerable player - and he's a tighthead prop.

The Tahs have had brother Mike, who is bigger and older and is a loosehead prop, training with them. He played in their Gen Blue (2nds) team - and packed down directly against brother Allan playing for the Brumbies 2nds.

See bottom of 1st page for photo:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/emerging-players-put-their-hands-up-in-pacific-rugby-cup/

The jury is still out on LHP Mike, but THP Allan is going places - hopefully back home.
You guys piss off, He wants to stay with Sio in Canberra

Sent from my HTC_0P6A1 using Tapatalk

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

See bottom of 1st page for photo:

Sadly, I'd guess that the Brumbies have got their hooks in pretty deep. Lord Laurie has a very good eye for talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.