• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I think for the Future when Cliffy fades away or signs in Japan the Tahs need to groom Tala Gray and Jed Holloway as much as possible. Also, there's an Aussie lad playing for Montuaban in France called Keliti Vaingalo, He's built like a wardrobe filled with cement and may be the bullocking replacement for Cliff when he returns.

Many of us have watched him since his school days at Newington. He disappeared to league and didn't make it there and came back. He played some good games for Eastern Suburbs, but before he went away he had never consistently used his physique and natural talent that other emerging players would have yearned for.

In some ways he was like Nemani Nadolo who was a physical specimen but lacked that something which he needed to be picked for Super 14 games.

Nadalo went to France and then to England and then to Japan, where he found a rugby niche where he could develop his game—and this year he was a phenomenon for the Crusaders.

Whilst Vaingolo never got to the level of being in a Super squad as Nadolo did before he went overseas, maybe he will find a niche at that 2nd Division team in France, or somewhere else, and come back with his attributes developed in a seasoned player.

I watched Edwin Maka, the ex-Victorian schools player and West Harbour Colt play last weekend for Toulouse. He's another rawboned youth that French clubs like to grab from "nowhere". If they process enough of them they get a good one.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There's clearly a pathway between being a talented youngster, playing for Eastern Suburbs and then going to France before returning to the Waratahs.

Hopefully Tala Gray gets a crack in 2015 and can turn his sublime NRC form into being a force in Super Rugby and hopefully Vaingalo follows suit in the next couple of years.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
From what I've seen and heard Jed was doing similar for the Rams. Good position to be in having two form players battling it out for the same position.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Holloway will need to be more of a lock option to get a crack next year (which he's done a bit of).

We've got lots of backrow depth with Dennis, Palu, Hoiles, Gray and Holloway covering 6 and 8 and then Chapman and Potgieter who both play lock and 6.

McCutcheon can also play 6 or 8.

Reactions: Ash

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I watched Edwin Maka, the ex-Victorian schools player and West Harbour Colt play last weekend for Toulouse. He's another rawboned youth that French clubs like to grab from "nowhere". If they process enough of them they get a good one.

He went from West Harbour 2nd and 3rd colts to playing for Toulouse in the Top 14 within weeks. Probably the most amazing short transition I've seen.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Gray and Holloway are very similar sizes. Gray actually outweighs him by 5kg which I wouldn't have guessed from looking at both of them. Then again I've not seen Gray close up.

Holloway can dominate at club level but as a Super Lock he's a little short/light for it. Hard-hitting blindside or #8 for me.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Gray and Holloway are very similar sizes. Gray actually outweighs him by 5kg which I wouldn't have guessed from looking at both of them. Then again I've not seen Gray close up.

Holloway can dominate at club level but as a Super Lock he's a little short/light for it. Hard-hitting blindside or #8 for me.

Fitzy, they have very different body shapes.
Gray is built like a tank, and Holloway is less solid but still developing.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Gray doesn't look that big on TV, but he does look pretty solid. Wouldn't put him over 110kg, maybe around 105kg - 108kg even. However, he plays strongly and hits hard. He's a handful a few rucks wider.

He would be my pick for best blindside in the NRC.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Many of us have watched him since his school days at Newington. He disappeared to league and didn't make it there and came back. He played some good games for Eastern Suburbs, but before he went away he had never consistently used his physique and natural talent that other emerging players would have yearned for.

In some ways he was like Nemani Nadolo who was a physical specimen but lacked that something which he needed to be picked for Super 14 games.

Nadalo went to France and then to England and then to Japan, where he found a rugby niche where he could develop his game—and this year he was a phenomenon for the Crusaders.

Whilst Vaingolo never got to the level of being in a Super squad as Nadolo did before he went overseas, maybe he will find a niche at that 2nd Division team in France, or somewhere else, and come back with his attributes developed in a seasoned player.

Definitely needs some work, but he has a massive frame and is still only 22. I would like to see him get a shot around the NRC level. I didn't even know that Maka had an Australian connection... get him back now! Imagine a Tahs team with Skelton at 5 and Maka at 8. goddamnit a man can dream can't he!

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Interesting to hear opinions on Greg Peterson from you guys. I didn't see much of the Marlins or the Rays, Is he good enough to make the cut or do we need imports? Also what's the consensus on 'the ulimate benchwarmer' Tilse? I would like to see some new reserve Props around the NSW ranks...

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Interesting to hear opinions on Greg Peterson from you guys. I didn't see much of the Marlins or the Rays, Is he good enough to make the cut or do we need imports? Also what's the consensus on 'the ulimate benchwarmer' Tilse? I would like to see some new reserve Props around the NSW ranks.

Don't think you can bring in another straight import with potgeiter still on the books, could only be a development player.

Status
Not open for further replies.