• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
we lost Masters too? Where's he off to?

Off to join the England rugby support team.

EDIT: I stuffed up as it looks like I have mixed up Masters with Tombleson.

Can't even blame any snouts.

Apologies for the error and the resulting confusion.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Interesting reading in The Australian today with Roger Davis stating that they want to ‘finalise’ the private ownership deal before appointing a CEO to replace the Great Silent One.
God I hope this private equity gig is all about the grass roots in NSW and involves a truckload of cash. Surely this pe gig should be something all the aus clubs need to look at as long as the owners stump up a massive deposit in case they lose heart and want to bail out.. I couldn’t handle any more rugby bad news presently.....

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Interesting reading in The Australian today with Roger Davis stating that they want to ‘finalise’ the private ownership deal before appointing a CEO to replace the Great Silent One.
God I hope this private equity gig is all about the grass roots in NSW and involves a truckload of cash. Surely this pe gig should be something all the aus clubs need to look at as long as the owners stump up a massive deposit in case they lose heart and want to bail out.. I couldn’t handle any more rugby bad news presently...

makes sense, they will roll in their own management team

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
God I hope this private equity gig is all about the grass roots in NSW and involves a truckload of cash. Surely this pe gig should be something all the aus clubs need to look at as long as the owners stump up a massive deposit in case they lose heart and want to bail out.. I couldn’t handle any more rugby bad news presently...

Agreed. I also hope they suck up a bit of pride and head over and look at what Souths are doing, because even though I support Easts in the League, they've done a bloody brilliant job of engaging with the community and broadening their base.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
That would be a nice Xmas present for us fans, wouldn't it IIWII?

But the Wallabies won't be returning to the Tahs before the middle of January, though a few show up earlier in the month.

And I doubt if Mourad Boujellal would allow the Toulon coaches to play their galacticos.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It sounds like Cheika (as well as Foley and Larkham) will still be at their Super Rugby teams next year. A new head coach at the Tahs will happen in 2016.

The Beale situation seems somewhat uncertain to me. The Waratahs have made it obvious that they want to keep him.

It would seem unlikely to me that McKenzie will return to the ARU to give evidence in Beale's hearing on Friday and Patston certainly won't be there. That seemingly makes it quite difficult to have a full hearing. They can certainly look at the Whatsapp messages sent but essentially Beale's team should be able to run a defence with little resistance against any counter-claims they make.

You would assume that there will be some punishment, but what will it be?

I'd guess that at a minimum, the ARU contract will be taken off the table and the ARU will be hoping that Beale decides that his future lies elsewhere. Presumably he'll be stood down officially from the EOYT but that is kind of moot at this point as it has already essentially happened.

The next step the ARU could make would be to deny to register any contract for him next year meaning he can't play Super Rugby for the Waratahs. Whilst this could be on the cards, it's also unprecedented to my knowledge. I'd be fairly surprised if the ARU did this as it would no doubt cause ructions within NSWRU and RUPA with claims of overreach by the ARU.

If anything, McKenzie's resignation on Saturday night has caused rugby fans to want more blood from Beale. My prediction is that the outcome will be met with hostility from many fans because expectations won't match the punishment. The attitude that KB (Kurtley Beale) should never play for the Wallabies again isn't necessarily an outrageous one but it almost certainly won't be backed up by a life ban from Australian rugby. That would be absolutely ridiculous and isn't going to happen.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It sounds like Cheika (as well as Foley and Larkham) will still be at their Super Rugby teams next year. A new head coach at the Tahs will happen in 2016.

Good

If anything, McKenzie's resignation on Saturday night has caused rugby fans to want more blood from Beale. My prediction is that the outcome will be met with hostility from many fans because expectations won't match the punishment. The attitude that KB (Kurtley Beale) should never play for the Wallabies again isn't necessarily an outrageous one but it almost certainly won't be backed up by a life ban from Australian rugby. That would be absolutely ridiculous and isn't going to happen.

My prediction all along was that he would get a fine and suspension

And then no top up or a very limited top up offered for next year.

My patience is at an end with him, he isn't a first choice test rugby player anymore, so he shouldn't be paid as anything other than a bench option/squaddy.

If he can get a better wage elsewhere, good luck to him and have a nice life

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)

The Beale situation seems somewhat uncertain to me. The Waratahs have made it obvious that they want to keep him.

It would seem unlikely to me that McKenzie will return to the ARU to give evidence in Beale's hearing on Friday and Patston certainly won't be there. That seemingly makes it quite difficult to have a full hearing. They can certainly look at the Whatsapp messages sent but essentially Beale's team should be able to run a defence with little resistance against any counter-claims they make.

You would assume that there will be some punishment, but what will it be?

I'd guess that at a minimum, the ARU contract will be taken off the table and the ARU will be hoping that Beale decides that his future lies elsewhere. Presumably he'll be stood down officially from the EOYT but that is kind of moot at this point as it has already essentially happened.

The next step the ARU could make would be to deny to register any contract for him next year meaning he can't play Super Rugby for the Waratahs. Whilst this could be on the cards, it's also unprecedented to my knowledge. I'd be fairly surprised if the ARU did this as it would no doubt cause ructions within NSWRU and RUPA with claims of overreach by the ARU.

If Beale is signed to aus rugby next year whatever the capacity they will probably announce it on Christmas Eve. Barely anyone cares what's in the news at that time and by New Years it's old. That's what SBW did last year when he announced a return to Union.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

As I've said elsewhere: Link and/or Patston being there would just make it easier to attack them and help RUPA make Beale's case on the basis of an unsound management environment (spurious, but that's how pricks work).

Why would they want to go through that again?

Better to let Beale's actions stand on their own in terms of this obscure "justice" thing.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
The attitude that KB (Kurtley Beale) should never play for the Wallabies again isn't necessarily an outrageous one but it almost certainly won't be backed up by a life ban from Australian rugby. That would be absolutely ridiculous and isn't going to happen.

I'm wouldn't advocate a life ban, but I don't think Beale should be involved in Australian rugby in any capacity next year, he can serve his penance elsewhere and Australian rugby shouldn't be used as a bargaining chip to fund it. If he returns afterwards (post world cup at a minimum) it'll be on the same terms JOC (James O'Connor) is coming back now, no top up and some pretty strict conduct clauses.

K

KAOPointman

It's funny how different rugby codes work.
Wendell sailor gets 2years out for one non performance related drug test.
Andrew johns, a career drug cheat, gets a pay rise, immortality and a tv contract.......

Wonder where Beale will fall in all this.

Status
Not open for further replies.