• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I wouldn't count on Betham early.

He was running OK today in a straight line and stepping sideways stationary.

He's about where Dennis was five weeks ago. Cheika had them on edge today at training - if they don't perform in the two trials they won't be playing in Rd 1, whatever their names are.

Just hold the phone on that one. I was told on Tuesday that it was on at the Merrylands ground.

I was also told that there was going to be a re-introduction of the Willie O Cup beforehand.

My bad - it is in Merrylands but I was thinking of the ground near the RSL or Leagues' club, whatever it is.

It's at Granville Park, which is also in Merrylands - the three Tahs sessions v Randwick, Sydney Uni and Parramatta start at 1pm Saturday 31 Jan.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Happy new year bitches.

Haven't been keeping up to speed with the squads so pardon me if this has been discussed but I am very surprised that Cheika has not recruited an experienced lock.

He had a good three punch going with Skelton, Jackpot and Douglas but now he expects Douglas' boots the be filled with four versatile back rowers?

I think Mitch Chapman will get plenty of playing time this year. It will also be interested to see how Dennis goes at lock and also the new recruit Sam Lousi.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
For someone who usually beats a couple of defenders before he gets taken down this is just a little bit too rich. I know the Brumbies can't tackle to save their lives (ha ha) but in the first Super game last year he basically ran through more than half the team to score.

I'll be glad when the season starts, the silly season is wearing thin.

Well, we get to disagree, he is a big unit who steps through holes, he does get taken down at times too easily, a decent fend would be useful for those tight times.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Well, we get to disagree, he is a big unit who steps through holes, he does get taken down at times too easily, a decent fend would be useful for those tight times.
I was a bit surprised when you first made that point,but on reflection there is a bit in what you say.
I'm not sure whether it was noticeable because he was more closely marked in his second year,or because he started to offload a lot more last year.
Obviously you are harder to tackle if you just tuck the ball under your arm and pin your ears back,than if you are looking to move the ball before or after contact.
They used him as a decoy a lot last year,as the defence did swarm to him.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I was a bit surprised when you first made that point,but on reflection there is a bit in what you say.
I'm not sure whether it was noticeable because he was more closely marked in his second year,or because he started to offload a lot more last year.
Obviously you are harder to tackle if you just tuck the ball under your arm and pin your ears back,than if you are looking to move the ball before or after contact.
They used him as a decoy a lot last year,as the defence did swarm to him.

I find it amusing that we seem to think that any player hasn't areas that can't be improved

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
There is no need to be like that,I could just as easily said that I find it amusing that people expect players to be able the fend off inside defenders when trying to put someone on their outside into the open.

Of course,we could also be amused that some don't realise that the the fact that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has one of the best fends in the side and poor distribution skills,are related.

If Izzy was swatting off inside defenders like flies last year,some would be complaining that he is one dimensional and has no vision,as there were better options outside of him.

I would be more worried about his kicking.
Maybe that's funny too?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Actually, Izzy can kick a fair distance. He didn't do it much is the problem, because the Tahs were counterattacking more often than not.

The problem is direction and in part its because his technique needs work. That whole cross-body thing can't be very accurate.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
There is no need to be like that,I could just as easily said that I find it amusing that people expect players to be able the fend off inside defenders when trying to put someone on their outside into the open.

Of course,we could also be amused that some don't realise that the the fact that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has one of the best fends in the side and poor distribution skills,are related.

If Izzy was swatting off inside defenders like flies last year,some would be complaining that he is one dimensional and has no vision,as there were better options outside of him.

I would be more worried about his kicking.
Maybe that's funny too?

Wasn't meant to be a dig, but every player should be working to build on his weaknesses, I would be amazed if he wasn't working hard to get it all improved.

Because good coaches now know and will have tactics in place

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
So did the SCG Trust playing bastard hard ball end up costing the Tahs must money?

Hopefully the SCG Trust came to the table with a decent deal in the end after playing dirty to scupper the ANZ deals.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
This might be a bit off topic but could this mean that we see the Brumbies playing out of Homebush some time. At least until Mr Fluffy cleans up the asbestos. Growden mentioned that the Brumbies might move to there permanently.

T

TOCC

Would the brumbies sell a super rugby match to ANZ Stadium?
If the financial incentive was big enough, the Brumbies could be convinced..

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
2015 NSW Waratahs Fan Day

20/01/2015
By Waratahs Rugby Media Unit
TPN_300x200.jpg
Don’t miss out on your chance to meet all your favourite NSW Waratahs players at the 2015 Fan Day and trial match on Saturday 31 January at Granville Park. Watch as the Tahs take on three of Sydney’s Shute Shield sides in three 30-minute practice matches, and stay on for the player signing session and other footy activities for all ages.
Granville Park will also play host to the Semi-final and Final of the Willie O Cup on the same day, showcasing some of the best young Australian/Tongan rugby talent. There will be food stalls, Waratahs player signing opportunities before the game, poster giveaways and more activities to be confirmed.
The pre-season preparation continues on Friday February 6 at Campbelltown Stadium when the Tahs take on the Chiefs in a full-length practice match under lights. This will be the only opportunity Australian rugby fans will get a chance to see the two teams go head to head together unless we host the Chiefs during the Super Rugby finals series so don’t miss out on the chance to see it!
Members receive free entry to both events, so join us now and become a member today!

Saturday 31 January
Waratahs v Randwick/ Sydney Uni/ Parramatta
Granville Park

See you there.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
2015 NSW Waratahs Fan Day

20/01/2015
By Waratahs Rugby Media Unit
TPN_300x200.jpg

Don’t miss out on your chance to meet all your favourite NSW Waratahs players at the 2015 Fan Day and trial match on Saturday 31 January at Granville Park. Watch as the Tahs take on three of Sydney’s Shute Shield sides in three 30-minute practice matches, and stay on for the player signing session and other footy activities for all ages.
Granville Park will also play host to the Semi-final and Final of the Willie O Cup on the same day, showcasing some of the best young Australian/Tongan rugby talent. There will be food stalls, Waratahs player signing opportunities before the game, poster giveaways and more activities to be confirmed.
The pre-season preparation continues on Friday February 6 at Campbelltown Stadium when the Tahs take on the Chiefs in a full-length practice match under lights. This will be the only opportunity Australian rugby fans will get a chance to see the two teams go head to head together unless we host the Chiefs during the Super Rugby finals series so don’t miss out on the chance to see it!
Members receive free entry to both events, so join us now and become a member today!

Saturday 31 January
Waratahs v Randwick/ Sydney Uni/ Parramatta
Granville Park

See you there.

Did the Warathas Media Unit put a time to this or is an all day stake out required?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.