• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I get your point about the Lions scrum.

But you're saying Halfpenny is not as good a fullback a Mike Brown, because England can beat us but Wales can't.

Is that it?

T

TOCC

You've changed the point you were trying to make.

Previously you were saying that Halfpenny wasn't a very good fullback because we keep beating Wales but lose to England and Ireland.

I actually think his initial point was that Folau was pretentious and wanted to reduce his defensive responsibilities by moving to outside centre..

Halfpenny is a great fullback, he was one of the 5 IRB player of the year nominee's in 2013 and in the same year he was voted he worlds best fullback by the IRPA, that is an award as voted by the players.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It's an interesting thought process that the Waratahs should base their backline selections on who is the best fullback in the UK. (Which based on what I have seen over the past 2 years is Halfpenny, but I digress)

I suspect that the Waratahs backline for the first competition match (barring injuries) will feature the following:

9 Phipps
10 Foley
12 Beale
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15 Folau

11 and 14 probably Betham and Horne, but they would be the positions up for grabs.

How Leigh Halpenny fits into this process I'm not sure, but it's been a fun ride.:)

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Boys (I assume) - its pretty clear to me that MHCS's point is Halfpenny's a dud fullback making it a no brainer that Folau should play 13 for the Tahs, particularly since the Wallaby scrum is no good.
I think MHCS is Peter De Villiers love child.

Basically he's saying that because Halfpenny is less athletic/ physically gifted than Israel he perceives him as an inferior player. He might not have the gifts of a Jarryd Hayne or Greg Ingis but he seems to have uncanny rugby nous.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I wouldn't count on Betham early. I didn't see him train today - neither the Tahs or the U20s showed up at the usual place - but he still wasn't on the park last week.

Dennis was running better but Tala Gray is still doing his no-running work (boxing and such) on the sidelines.

Unless there's a slew of injuries as the Reds have had and the Tahs have had in earlier years I'm not too fussed about it.

The Tahs had a bit of serendipity last year with Horne having to start regularly on the wing and Naiyaravoro getting game time.

There has to be a way found for Tala Gray (when healthy), and Jed Holloway to get more time on the park also this year.

I'd also like to have a look at LHP Mike A to see if he is any good. I think it's little brother Allan of the Brumbies who has the talent, but Mike is 23 now and needs to have head shoved up his backside a few times.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Cmc markets have upgraded their sponsorship status to the sleeve sponsor for next 2 seasons. The tahs now have a full Jersey sponsorship locked away (including new sponsor Ricoh) as the new collar sponsor. Premierships do wonderful things for finances and I wonder what the jersey is no worth. I hope the tahs have the foresight to ensure every sponsor has provides some benefit to the grassroots levels as well like Magners did last year.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Signed Michael Chieka, helped win Super Rugby title with a record crowd and now brings in a record sponsorship to ensure the financial viability of the Waratahs for years to come.

Who does this Jason Allen guy think he is? He has to go.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
OK, that's deep enough. Once you reach the point where a fullback wins or loses a game, you've pretty much got a big enough hole to drop a battleship in.
I dunno. There were at least a few times last year Folau waivured from being the Messiah & the anti Christ on this forum.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Folau is a pretty handy fullback but there is no doubt that all of the great fullbacks have had a decent boot on them and his is average to wobbly.
I would view him as a back 3 player and most suited to the wing where he can inject himself at will from the blind.
We all know he loves the try line and as a winger he could still be heavily involved in kick catches and returns.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Folau is an immense talent.

On his game he is probably one of the best in the world.

Collectively and probably unfairly, supporters want to see him play at that level in EVERY game - reality says that just cannot happen.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Folau is an immense talent.

On his game he is probably one of the best in the world.

Collectively and probably unfairly, supporters want to see him play at that level in EVERY game - reality says that just cannot happen.

True, but he isn't perfect and we want to see him improve.

He needs to improve him kicking (accuracy and speed to release) and palm off skills (he often gets tackled too easy)

Status
Not open for further replies.