• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Considering that all the signs out of queensland regarding Karmichael Hunt are positive and he is being taught to play 15, maybe for the wallabies it would be too bad having Izzy in the centres

Talk is cheap - but I am certainly looking forward to watching Hunt play fullback.

He didn't blow my socks off playing for Biarritz, mostly at outside centre, but Oz rugby is short of players who can hold their place in the test team and also hoof the ball a long way, as is reported.

At the minute he is worth considering.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
So I see on rugby365 that Mckibbin is heading over to the not nots at the conclusion of this season. Does this particularly upset any of the Waratah faithful, or are you now eyeing off a replacement?

Sorry if it's been discussed before, I went back a few pages to check...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He's never been a Super Rugby starter, just a solid back-up. But the Aus depth at 9 will be seriously low next year.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
RE: Folau at centre - there is going to be a need to rotate players in what is pretty much a continuous year of rugby. We can't focus on the Super title as the only goal, and we need options.

If it turns out Hunt is going to rip things up at 15, then things need to be put into perspective for the good of the Wallabies. In Europe we will need a big boot at the back to get us out of trouble, and then if it means we need to find a place for Folau, a run in the centres could be it.

Having though about it over a beer yesterday (while holding inane conversation with the MILFs at our Oz Day street party) I don't think he hits hard enough in defence for 13. TK does.

Being a winner with Wales in Europe means nothing, they couldn't beat the Wallabies in the last 10 games, despite ALL our problems

Can you come around to my joint? I need some post holes and you look like an expert at digging.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So I see on rugby365 that Mckibbin is heading over to the not nots at the conclusion of this season. Does this particularly upset any of the Waratah faithful, or are you now eyeing off a replacement?

Sorry if it's been discussed before, I went back a few pages to check.

It's never great to lose players and I've always been a McKibbin fan as an Easts supporter but he's the second string halfback and Phipps is already contracted beyond the RWC.

Apart from the 2012 season when Sarel Pretorius fell out of favour and we sorely lacked a goalkicker which helped win McKibbin the starting spot, he's always been the bench player.

The question for 2016 will be how well Vasa Faleali'i goes in 2015 and whether he is up to Super Rugby standard as the reserve. If he is, the third string halfback for 2016 can be picked with an eye to the future. If he isn't, we may need to look at someone with a bit more experience to support Phipps.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Can you come around to my joint? I need some post holes and you look like an expert at digging.

What are u talking about? Are u kidding me?

Let me see, in the last spring tour we lost to all Europeans who have faced: England, France and Ireland. But we beat an opponent o_O Then, yes. Wales is worse than us.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Let me see, in the last spring tour we lost to all Europeans who have faced: England, France and Ireland. But we beat an opponent o_O Then, yes. Wales is worse than us.

Given Halfpenny is the best fullback out of the home nations and subsequently played for the Lions, he's probably not the reason Wales keep losing to us.

But by all means, continue making arguments that absolutely no one agrees with.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

OK, that's deep enough. Once you reach the point where a fullback wins or loses a game, you've pretty much got a big enough hole to drop a battleship in.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Given Halfpenny is the best fullback out of the home nations and subsequently played for the Lions, he's probably not the reason Wales keep losing to us.

But by all means, continue making arguments that absolutely no one agrees with.

About Lions series has already been discussed several times, we lost the series against the Lions by the fucking scrum, not by Halfpenny

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
OK, that's deep enough. Once you reach the point where a fullback wins or loses a game, you've pretty much got a big enough hole to drop a battleship in.

Everybody know that the scrum was the cause of the defeat, nothing about Halfpenny:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You've changed the point you were trying to make.

Previously you were saying that Halfpenny wasn't a very good fullback because we keep beating Wales but lose to England and Ireland.

I said that might be the case but it isn't down to Halfpenny because he is the best fullback amongst those countries (which resulted in his selection for the Lions).

Now you're saying that we only lost to the Lions because our scrum got smashed.

That in no way contradicts the fact that Halfpenny is a very good fullback and indeed the best fullback from the home nations and I'd say one of the top 3 in the world in the last couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.