• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Super Rugby might have a cap but there is no cap on ARU tops ups. If the ARU really wants someone and if they have the money (a big if), they can go after him.

T

TOCC

Rugby union had some rather flexible rules when it comes to third party endorsements as well, whilst super rugby has salary caps and clubs are prevented from negotiating third party endorsements over a certain amount, no such rule exists on the ARU... Should be no surprise that Folau is also a spokesmen/representative of Samsung and Asics, two major sponsors of the Wallabies....

That been said, I don't think Inglis will want to play rugby in Australia, I think France and a less hectic travel schedule would appeal to him more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think the last thing we need, after setting up this new TV deal and implementing reforms at all levels, is to go buying yet another fucking league player to the chagrin of anyone who isn't NSW or QLD.

Let's instead use this new money - plus all the savings we'll have from experienced top-ups pissing off overseas, to put our house back in order and keep supporting the NRC, hmm?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think the last thing we need, after setting up this new TV deal and implementing reforms at all levels, is to go buying yet another fucking league player to the chagrin of anyone who isn't NSW or QLD.

Let's instead use this new money - plus all the savings we'll have from experienced top-ups pissing off overseas, to put our house back in order and keep supporting the NRC, hmm?

Pfitzy for chairman.
I don't care how good Inglis is: we need blokes who give a shit about the code, the game and the fans and are not only here for the $$$.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
If any of the Tah's membership people read this forum, could you consider combining last years car sticker with this years design?

The Tahs in the map of NSW really stands out. It could become iconic as the Rabbitohs silhouette rabbit has become. The 2015 of this year's sticker makes it current but it doesn't stand out on its own. Combine them both and it looks great IMO.

image.jpg

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
Thought it was probably a better fit here then the 2015 thread. In light of the announcements of people moving, what are some peoples thoughts on replacements/additional players/extended squad members for the 2016 season?? Currently looks a bit like this (bold = GONE):

Current Match Day 23
Additional Squad (+extras)
Others/Rumours
Robinson

Polota-Nau
Roach

Kepu
Alaatoa

Skelton
Lousi

Dennis
Holloway

Potgeiter
Dempsey

Hooper
McCutcheon

Palu
Grey
McCalman
Phipps
Falaiea
Merriman
Foley
Horwitz

Horne
Clunies-Ross

Beale
Lance

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Stewart

Betham
Kellaway

Folau
Volavola

Tilse

Latu

Ryan

Chapman

Hoiles

McKibbon

Carraro

Navaiyararo

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
Hmmm, I wouldn't be surprised to see them move Folau to outside to see them cover the loss of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), so that leaves them to find replacements (either first or second string) for:

THP
8/Back Row
2x Outside Centre/Back 3 player
Halfback

I can't think of any THPs floating around, so maybe promote Paddy Ryan and bring a promising youngster up for the bench?

McCalman seems the obvious target for the back row

The Tahs have some promising youngsters in the back three, so it might be wise to go looking for an old head from somewhere. Otherwise I heard some talk of chasing Greg Inglis. Not sure of the likelihood/wisdom, but wouldn't put it past them. Or just move Hooper there ;)

I'm not sure who's around at half, but they would be a back up, so they'll probably look for a promising youngster.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
I should note: I wouldn't be surprised if they're chatting to the likes of Giteau and Drew Mitchell, but I very much doubt they could be lured back.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd love to see them put some faith in the young guys who are struggling to make the team currently.

Gray and Holloway will go well in Super Rugby and deserve a chance.

It will probably result in a step back from a championship winning side but from a cultural perspective I think you need to show these guys that they can make progress through the club and their loyalty (and ability) will be rewarded.

As others have said, I'd be looking closely at recruiting a quality prop as the main priority.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
As others have said, I'd be looking closely at recruiting a quality prop as the main priority.

Yep, the squad needs freshening, we need a few props really Fatcat will be the only unit left that doesn't scare the shit out of me.

Ryan and Tilse are not technically up to it at the moment

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Apparently Taquele N has signed 3 years with Scottish club but has a clause to get out of it if he is selected for the Wallabies this year.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
I'd love to see them put some faith in the young guys who are struggling to make the team currently.

Gray and Holloway will go well in Super Rugby and deserve a chance.

It will probably result in a step back from a championship winning side but from a cultural perspective I think you need to show these guys that they can make progress through the club and their loyalty (and ability) will be rewarded.

Hmm, I agree to an extent. I would definitely like to see one of them starting in all games, but would prefer to have two experienced back rowers to accompany them. As for the culture, I think the Tahs have to own the mentality of being a "premiere" side. That to me, means the core of players should be proven, elite performers. Ironically, it would make me somewhat less romantic about them, as I love a team of scrappers that win on loyalty and are great mates. Unfortunately, I think when you're an elite team spending a lot of money on your players, you need to be ruthless, and you shouldn't be taking big risks on unproven players, as you should be looking to win each and every year.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
Apparently Taquele N has signed 3 years with Scottish club but has a clause to get out of it if he is selected for the Wallabies this year.

Interesting, you would think there might be a bit of pressure from Nathan Grey pushing Cheiks to give him a cap to keep him around then... I'm not sure there are too many other outside backs floating around of his ability.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think McCalman would be an excellent signing but he'd be about the only player I'd go for in the backrow.

I'd certainly try and keep Jackpot and maybe another experienced player would be needed if he can't be retained. Probably try and bring Luke Jones back to Sydney.

I just think that Gray and Holloway would excel in Super Rugby and would very quickly be excellent players in the competition.

From the playing options I can see around the place I just can't envisage too many of them being better recruits than promoting the younger guys who are deserving of a chance.

I just think there's a risk that you could spend too much money on someone who isn't going to be that great who will get in the way of the development and/or retention of a player who within the year will be a better player.

With Palu and Higginbotham heading overseas, I can definitely see a situation where Gray or Holloway plays for the Wallabies in 2016 or 2017 depending on how the cards fall.

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
Its a tough one, as there aren't many of the key forwards coming through. In terms of like for like replacements:
Potgeiter - Dempsey
Betham/Taqele - Kellaway & Clunies-Ross
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - Stewart

Expect big things from Stewart,. he has been outstanding in an ordinary Gen Blue squad so far.

The other names to keep an eye on - Sandell, Hanigan & the monster lock from the U20's, these boys looks strong, Sandell as a replacement to Robinson in the next 2 years, just depends on how he grows/expands with weights. Phillip is another lock candidate coming through who is getting up around the 2m mark, along with Hanigan, although he is probably a 6, not lock. The U20's are actually producing some quality and were comprehensive last year winning the U20's champs, and are looking strong again this year, particularly the back line, and their weak spots have covered over alot. Expect some names from this area

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Jim Stewart is a must for a contract next year. He's excellent.

I think Dempsey will ultimately be more of a 7 than a 6 at Super Rugby level. He's a bit of a Pat McCutcheon type though in that he can play several positions in the backrow. That said, I haven't seen a huge amount of him.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
You're right of course, I have my view of what the Tahs recruitment philosophy should be, but that has to be restrained by the reality of the players that are available. Are there any overseas players that could realistically be targeted? I can't think of any worthwhile ones in the positions required off the top of my head, but I just can't shake the fact that they must be freeing up some cash losing quality players like Palu, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Kepu, and I keep wondering where they're going to spend it.

Peej

Allen Oxlade (6)
Holloway has been the most improved forward in NSW. His SS form was excellent and so was his NRC for the Rams playing in 2nd row as well which would suck the juice from him. Don't see him being a 2nd rower long term but hes developing a Higginbotham style game with a bit more mongrel about him. Jobs are going for No.8s in Australia with Lopeti Timani being best young one at the moment

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I should note: I wouldn't be surprised if they're chatting to the likes of Giteau and Drew Mitchell, but I very much doubt they could be lured back.

I would be disappointed if they were looking at Giteau at 33. I can't see the ARU topping up his contract either with no real prospect of playing at 2019 RWC.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't care how good Inglis is: we need blokes who give a shit about the code, the game and the fans and are not only here for the $$$.

Just being a stickybeak in this thread, but this post in general for the love of Rugby is so true. Well said IMO,

Status
Not open for further replies.