• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
The Tahs might not actually lose Palu. That is he might return between seasons honeybadger style.

A man of Palu's vintage would be mad not to go play in japan. h could extend his career an extra year playing in a less demanding league

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Are you saying he'd be mad not to stay in Japan in their off season rather than get temporary leave to play Super Rugby?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So reports this morning that Daryl Gibson will be named the head coach for 2016 in the coming days.

Personally I think it's a good decision. He's brought a lot to the team and seems like the natural successor to Cheika. There's always a risk giving someone their first head coaching gig at this level that it will take them a while to get there but I think Gibson's done his time and should be ready for the step up. Presumably Gibson's role has been somewhat more than an assistant this year with Cheika and Grey also having to focus on the Wallabies.

He will have a clean slate to hire assistants and that will be where good appointments need to be made. Hopefully they start working on that early to ensure they get the pick of some quality candidates.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
So reports this morning that Daryl Gibson will be named the head coach for 2016 in the coming days.

Personally I think it's a good decision. He's brought a lot to the team and seems like the natural successor to Cheika. There's always a risk giving someone their first head coaching gig at this level that it will take them a while to get there but I think Gibson's done his time and should be ready for the step up. Presumably Gibson's role has been somewhat more than an assistant this year with Cheika and Grey also having to focus on the Wallabies.

He will have a clean slate to hire assistants and that will be where good appointments need to be made. Hopefully they start working on that early to ensure they get the pick of some quality candidates.

Watching the warmup on Saturday, Gibson had the backs and Cheika the forwards. I expect that to evolve as we approach Test time.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
2016 is still a long way off.

Tahs losing Foley, ACC, Palu and Kepu - all are starters and all infuential players. Add to that the loss of Cheika and the Tahs become questionable.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/11130089_10152870781262144_6589199792051411632_n.jpg?oh=334eb2ab3c531bf2e3bdaafaaa913428&oe=559F558B&__gda__=1437770882_278a03ef78e0cfd8038f5d79d5ec7151

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Staff will be the big question, can be tricky for a rookie head coach to attract high quality assistants, will be interesting to see if they can get Grey to stay on after the rwc.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Staff will be the big question, can be tricky for a rookie head coach to attract high quality assistants, will be interesting to see if they can get Grey to stay on after the rwc.

I'm of the impression that Wallaby defence coach will become his full time job.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I thought there was some talk of him continuing to do both, which I think has some merit for the wallaby assistants, but it may not be so easy once chieka is full time wallabies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
If Cheika can somehow manage with some of the Super coaches as his assistants that'd a very positive step for Oz rugby. The continuity of coaching style between Super and national teams could be the beginning of something important for us.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Well, I got to see the first long form interview with Gibson on the Rugby Club last night. He certainly seemed competent, but he is vastly different in temperament from Cheika, I guess it will be Grey's role to provide the angry

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
FP - I don't know about angry, Grey never struck me as an angry player, passionate yes and eager for the contact in attack and defence. I can't even remember him having a blue wth anybody on the field. Even the quiet man Pastor Willie O' got angrier than Grey.
Might need a consultant angry man, scan old fan forum videos there are a couple of passionate ones in there with the quals.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
If Ella gets his way - it will be the dawn of a new age for the tahs:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...ake-of-wallabies/story-e6frg7po-1227299240155

TLDR: The ARU should make it such that the Tahs (and Reds) have the best players, the Brumbies the also rans and the Force and Rebels U21 development players.

Utter stupidity.
I can't get the article - not subscribed. Sounds like 30 year old thinking, back to when it was essentially NSW and Qld. Sounds bizarre, from what you've said.

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
Some quotes from Mark Ella's article:
"I know that there has been a lot of talk lately about the player drain to overseas clubs after the world cup, but the ARU should be doing everything it can to make sure Wallabies and Western Force No 8 Ben McCalman plays for the NSW Waratahs next year"

"Similarly, Australia needs to concentrate its best players in one or two Super Rugby teams to create more cohesion for the Wallabies because the current five-franchise system simply isn’t working as evidenced by the Wallabies’ slide down the world rankings."

"The Brumbies are the third wheel of Australian rugby, turning rejects into champions: and that is a role the Canberra side should continue to play."
"I would turn the Rebels and the Force into development teams of mostly under-21 players with a few old heads to show them the ropes and perhaps one or two marquee imports."

Status
Not open for further replies.