• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
FP - I don't know about angry, Grey never struck me as an angry player, passionate yes and eager for the contact in attack and defence. I can't even remember him having a blue wth anybody on the field. Even the quiet man Pastor Willie O' got angrier than Grey.
Might need a consultant angry man, scan old fan forum videos there are a couple of passionate ones in there with the quals.

Maybe some of this would help:-

angry-pale_sized_gif_v3_alpha_001.gif

ANGRY MAN PALE ALE
5% ABV
HAVE WITH THAI CURRY
Murray's Angry Man Pale Ale is a classic US pale ale. Australian, English and German malts balance the huge citrus/pine hop aroma and flavour strongly influenced by generous use of US Centennial and New Zealand Motueka and Pacifica hops. A brilliant light-golden colour, Murray's Angry Man Pale Ale has a full-bodied finish and complex character. This is well balanced with biscuity/toffee flavours from selected caramalts.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
Some quotes from Mark Ella's article:
"I know that there has been a lot of talk lately about the player drain to overseas clubs after the world cup, but the ARU should be doing everything it can to make sure Wallabies and Western Force No 8 Ben McCalman plays for the NSW Waratahs next year"

"Similarly, Australia needs to concentrate its best players in one or two Super Rugby teams to create more cohesion for the Wallabies because the current five-franchise system simply isn’t working as evidenced by the Wallabies’ slide down the world rankings."

"The Brumbies are the third wheel of Australian rugby, turning rejects into champions: and that is a role the Canberra side should continue to play."
"I would turn the Rebels and the Force into development teams of mostly under-21 players with a few old heads to show them the ropes and perhaps one or two marquee imports."

Yep, that's pretty absurd if you ask me. Each of the teams should be doing their utmost to win the competition and fans, so that they can become financially viable and make Australian rugby interesting and exciting. Also, it's that old school thinking of putting all your eggs in one basket, what happens to your Wallabies players when one of your "elite" franchises gets stuck with Richard Graham of Chris Hickey? Especially with the new conference system, that approach would essentially see Australia's best only playing a quarter of a season against quality opponents, as the other three teams in the conference would be u20s squads.

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
Maybe some of this would help:-

angry-pale_sized_gif_v3_alpha_001.gif

ANGRY MAN PALE ALE
5% ABV
HAVE WITH THAI CURRY
Murray's Angry Man Pale Ale is a classic US pale ale. Australian, English and German malts balance the huge citrus/pine hop aroma and flavour strongly influenced by generous use of US Centennial and New Zealand Motueka and Pacifica hops. A brilliant light-golden colour, Murray's Angry Man Pale Ale has a full-bodied finish and complex character. This is well balanced with biscuity/toffee flavours from selected caramalts.

top drop,that

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hard to actually find out who is contracted for when.

Here is my first go at the contractual status of the current Tahs squad for 2016.

Not Contracted with Tahs in 2016
Sekope Kepu (prop)
Wycliff Palu (loose forward) Japan
Adam Ashley-Cooper (centre) Bordeaux to 2017
Peter Betham (wing) Leicester
Taqele Naiyaravoro (wing) Edinburgh to 2018
Brendan McKibbin (scrum half) London Irish (Not Nots)

Flexible Overseas Contract
Bernard Foley (fly half) Japan/Waratahs to 2018

Contracted for 2016
Daryl Gibson (COACH) to 2018
Paddy Ryan (prop)
Benn Robinson (prop)
Tatafu Polota-Nau (hooker)
Dean Mumm (Lock) new 1 year contract
Dave Dennis (loose forward) to 2017
Nick Phipps (scrum half) to 2017
Rob Horne (centre) to 2017

Off Contract at end of 2015
Jacques Potgieter (loose forward) (Overseas marquee)
Kurtley Beale (fullback)
Israel Folau (fullback)
Kotaro Matsushima (wing) (Overseas marquee) to August 2015 only

Unknown status in 2016
Michael Ala'alatoa (prop)
Jeremy Tilse (prop)
Tolu Latu (hooker)
Hugh Roach (hooker)
Jed Holloway (lock)
Sam Lousi (lock)
Will Skelton (lock)
Mitchell Chapman (loose forward)
Tala Gray (loose forward)
Stephen Hoiles (loose forward)
Michael Hooper (loose forward)
Pat McCutcheon (loose forward)
David Horwitz (fly half)
Ben Volavola (fly half)
Jono Lance (centre)
Matthew Carraro (wing)
Andrew Kellaway (wing)

2015 Waratahs Transition Group
Jack Dempsey (loose forward)
Henry Clunies-Ross (wing)
David Porecki (front row)
Matt Sandell (front row)
Jim Stewart (centre)
Auvasa Faleali'i (scrum half)

I'll edit the list based on crowd sourced responses below.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Unknown status in 2016
Michael Ala'alatoa (prop)
Jeremy Tilse (prop)
Tolu Latu (hooker)
Hugh Roach (hooker)
Jed Holloway (lock)
Sam Lousi (lock)
Will Skelton (lock)
Mitchell Chapman (loose forward)
Dave Dennis (loose forward)
Tala Gray (loose forward)
Stephen Hoiles (loose forward)
Michael Hooper (loose forward)
Pat McCutcheon (loose forward)
David Horwitz (fly half)
Ben Volavola (fly half)
Jono Lance (centre)
Matthew Carraro (wing)
Andrew Kellaway (wing)

2015 Waratahs Transition Group
Jack Dempsey (loose forward)
Henry Clunies-Ross (wing)
David Porecki (front row)
Matt Sandell (front row)
Jim Stewart (centre)
Auvasa Faleali'i (scrum half)

I'll edit the list based on crowd sourced responses below.

I'd like to see;
With Foley leaving (Flexible contract mgmt because i don't know what it involves);
Sam Lane
Reece Hodge (was ahead of Horwitz before injury) added to list.

2 wings leaving;
Manly (Alex Northam) V Randwick (Andrew Kellaway) 9th May as I think Alex should be on list as well and it;ll be a good match up.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'd like to see;
With Foley leaving;
Sam Lane
Reece Hodge (was ahead of Horwitz before injury) added to list.

2 wings leaving;
Manly (Alex Northam) V Randwick (Andrew Kellaway) 9th May as I think Alex should be on list as well and it;ll be a good match up.

But Foley isn't leaving

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Horwitz is in the system and touching the edge of the starting squad, I expect him to be the next option

He has looked to be growing and solid.

Lane? You would need a really good medical report to trust him

Reece Hodge? He needs to be in a pro system, learn and build his core fitness

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Horwitz is in the system and touching the edge of the starting squad, I expect him to be the next option

He has looked to be growing and solid.

Lane? You would need a really good medical report to trust him

Reece Hodge? He needs to be in a pro system, learn and build his core fitness

You seem to speaking with some knowledge and authority?
Just casting my thoughts on that I have seen each of their games this year, and also knowledge of their past achievements.

Core fitness????? - you serious - this thought clearly suggests you are not aware of his strength and conditioning program, or what is actually meant by "core strength".

As per my post on the thought, look forward to the 9th May - hope Horwitz and Kellaway are both playing club rugby that day. I'd much rather let the on field performances do the talking as I know nothing.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Core fitness????? - you serious - this thought clearly suggests you are not aware of his strength and conditioning program, or what is actually meant by "core strength".

I read/listened somewhere (can't find it but I think it was Link) about the need to build up a young players fitness to a pro standard, it said it takes over 12 months of serious daily training to get them there. Not to play a game, but to get up for each game, play wounded etc etc.

Now the NRC will help that process as the ITM and Currie Cup does for NZ & SA, but our young units can be behind the others

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I can't see the Tahs signing a new 10 for next season given they're still expecting Foley to be around. They'll back Horwitz and Volavola to continue to improve and step up to fill any gaps they have.

Assuming Beale is still around, I'd imagine that he would be the second choice 10 if Foley misses some games.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
So what are the positions that there are clear gaps in? In my mind:

THP: Pretty obvious with Keps leaving, there's a bit of a gaping hole

Reserve 9: Not sure who's likely to be in this position, Faleali'i?

Wing: There is some young talent, but none particularly stand out, at least as a definite lock starting player(assuming one of Horne of Carraro is moving to 13, which seems likely).

Flyhalf: I have to agree with Dave Beat that there will need to be some cover for Foley. Between playing in Japan, and likely at the Olympics, he's bound to miss games. Again, some young talent but they would be somewhat of a risk.

6/8/Lock: Less concerned about this, as there is a pretty good mix of proven entities and young talent. Not sure what the actual structure will look like though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I expect Matt Sandell will get at least an EPS contract at THP. It is highly likely that Paddy Ryan is the starting THP next year though.

I'd guess that the players currently training with the squad but not officially contracted like Jim Stewart, Henry Clunies-Ross etc. will all be offered contracts next year as spaces come up.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I read/listened somewhere (can't find it but I think it was Link) about the need to build up a young players fitness to a pro standard, it said it takes over 12 months of serious daily training to get them there. Not to play a game, but to get up for each game, play wounded etc etc.
Agree - Given Reece's background I'm pretty sure he has this more than adequately covered - he is in the fitness injury.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I'd expect to see Stewart getting plenty of game time next year, he was great in the u20s and NRC and looks to have a long future.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Agree - Given Reece's background I'm pretty sure he has this more than adequately covered - he is in the fitness injury.

He probably is, but as a general point, I remember Link saying Lachie Turner and Rocky Elsom were for a time the most professional units at the Tahs

He talked about their food/hydration diaries, being on time in rehab, training efforts, focus etc.

I think for many, that stuff has to be learned by seeing their pro piers doing it.

Latu today talks about his changes

Latu has now started four games in a row, with 50-Test veteran Polota-Nau battling to regain his place despite being one of Australia’s best hookers over the past six years.

And the key?

“Just probably more veggies, not eating as much carbs and loading up more on the veggies,” Latu said.

“It has made a big difference. I’m not really waking up and feeling sluggish or going into games sluggish because you’ve had too much carbs.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...mproved-his-game/story-e6frf4pu-1227312588994

Status
Not open for further replies.