• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Jamal Idris is making a return from a self imposed hiatus from the NRl this weekend. Love to see him back playing union, he was a Penrith junior wasn't he? Big body to shift

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Have seen him play in the NRL.

Clearly doesn't train hard enough for professional sport, and maybe could play Premier Rugby.

One of those "big kids never had to try" types

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
I can dream cant I? ;)

Edit: You don't make Origin by being a bum, seasons at Gold Coast and Penrith turned him into a marshmallow. Good hard coach and you might have a decent loose forward replacement. not worth $400,000 a year though

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Edit: You don't make Origin by being a bum, seasons at Gold Coast and Penrith turned him into a marshmallow. Good hard coach and you might have a decent loose forward replacement. not worth $400,000 a year though

1 Origin game. From the bench.

And plenty of bums have made Origin sides :)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
They should offer Ryan McCauley from the under 20s an EPS contract next year. He looks like a good long term option at lock.
That is probably why the locked him in with a Supplementary Squad contract (whatever that is) straight out of school.

For all those who whine about "the pathway", or lack thereof, here is a case that seems to show that it is working.

I can only think that many of the complaints about "The Pathway" not working come from those who have a close association with a player who failed to be on "The Pathway", or has recently been shown an exit ramp after being on "The Pathway" for a while.

Maddocks is a talented cricketer. If the Tahs have picked him up, then that must be a sign that he has decided that Heavensgame will be the sport he concentrates on for the future. Our gain may be crickets loss. The days of dual Internationals are long gone.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What's the deal with all these Scots kids?

Horwitz and Kellaway went to Scots and am I correct that McCauley, Maddocks and Deegan all went to Scots too?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Deegan was a Joe Boy.
Horwitz was a Beastie junior.
Kellaway went to Scots from Hunters HIll, and played a lot of Junior footy for Gordon.
IIRC McCauley is sort of "local" for Scots, having been spotted in junior Mungo, before playing some Junior Wicks footy.

Some of the "Scots Kids" may have been anomalies. Maddocks wasn't. Maddocks also never played 1st XV for Scots. Decided to commit to his studies in Y12, so he played 3rd XV.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Come on people. In terms of 'worst Waratah league convert', there are FAR richer pickings than Reece Robinson and Timana Tahu. There can only be one:

Ryan McGoldrick.

The man, the myth, the legend. Closely edges out Nathan Blacklock for mine.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Tahu is the only one of them recruited as a marquee sort of player.

All the others have seemingly been cheap acquisitions.

I agree that McGoldrick and Blacklock were far bigger failures than Tahu. It's like comparing apples and really really bad apples though.

jason08

Peter Burge (5)
Sam Lousi is another former mungoball player I believe. He's been OK.
He's a kiwi so it's likely he would've played rugby in his youth.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
So with Kepu, Robertson, Tilse, Orr, Sandell and Ryan, do we have any chance of jettisoning Ta'avao into the ocean?

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Also do we know who the behemoth wearing 4 for the two blues here is?? Can't be Toleafoa he doesn't have a fruity hairdo...
KMP-GOR-PAR-50394.jpg

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So with Kepu, Robertson, Tilse, Orr, Sandell and Ryan, do we have any chance of jettisoning Ta'avao into the ocean?

Ta'avao has been signed for two years.

Orr may only move up to EPS only from the wider training squad.

Tilse isn't signed for 2017 yet as far as I know.

Maybe Ta'avao can move to LHP to back up Ryan?

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Ta'avao has been signed for two years.

Orr may only move up to EPS only from the wider training squad.

Tilse isn't signed for 2017 yet as far as I know.

Maybe Ta'avao can move to LHP to back up Ryan?

No I mean can you rescind that contract and push him back to NZ on a raft

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Sev Domoni Sam's son. A long way from being a professional rugby player in Australia in my opinion.

Just saw him in the Shute shield team list announcement cover picture. Looks like a big hooler. how old is he?

On a different note do we think Sam Lousi will continue to develop or just flatline from here? We're running fresh out of locks but he's hardly starting quality. Do the Tahs re-sign him? We have 3 locks already in the same heavy impact role (Skelton, Lousi, Toleafoa) and 3 lock backrowers (Hanigan, Mumm, Holloway) and 1 out and out lock who is 105kg soaking wet(McCauley). We're in serious need of a (semi)experienced high workrate lineout master. Well worth a call to Matwijow if we can't lure anybody like Pyle or Cummins back

Status
Not open for further replies.