• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
He wasn't really clear on what he was told though. Did they say he "wouldn't" play first grade (I think he means Super Rugby since he was talking about the Tahs) until he was 23 or that they aimed to have him playing at that level at 23? If he expected a guarantee that he could play that "When he was ready", isn't this the sort of thing that has been rubbished with previous schoolboy prodigies being elevated too soon? Am I missing something?
Does anyone know more of there back story because I can't honestly say I could really tell what he was meaning in that interview?

T

TOCC

No one said anything about guarantees..As far as I'm concerned the underlying issue is the lack of confidence in the player and how that message is conveyed, because as demonstrated they have vastly different reactions. Both coaches may have had the same intent, but those messages were delivered vastly different.. end state; a promising rugby union player swaps to league

A mistake perhaps, but It's really just common sense stuff..

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just for the record............

He still had to wait 2 years to play first grade for the Rabbitohs.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think there's a bit of rewriting history here.
The Tahs guy might have made some crack about him making it by 23, but Souths offered him a real contract for real money, something that our code simply can't compete with.Thats why he signed with them.

We can't bag them for picking winners at 16, and then complain when they don't.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
He wasn't really clear on what he was told though. Did they say he "wouldn't" play first grade (I think he means Super Rugby since he was talking about the Tahs) until he was 23 or that they aimed to have him playing at that level at 23? If he expected a guarantee that he could play that "When he was ready", isn't this the sort of thing that has been rubbished with previous schoolboy prodigies being elevated too soon? Am I missing something?
Does anyone know more of there back story because I can't honestly say I could really tell what he was meaning in that interview?

Yeah Cyclo ILTW is a bit closer to the money on this one. I put this on the ARU thread where it's also being discussed:

I know his parents very well, there was a lot more to it than a one liner about not playing in the top team until he is 23. It's true that he felt the opportunities ($$$) were better in League for a young player and perhaps that interview is his condensation of one of the major factors which swung his decision. He was also courted by the NRL as he was going through Scots, the Roosters initially and then the Bunnies, so the comment that 'he wouldn't have even spoken to Michael McGuire' doesn't stack up.

And he hasn't ruled out returning to union one day, at this point in time I doubt he'd touch with a barge pole though.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah Cyclo ILTW is a bit closer to the money on this one. I put this on the ARU thread where it's also being discussed:

I know his parents very well, there was a lot more to it than a one liner about not playing in the top team until he is 23. It's true that he felt the opportunities ($$$) were better in League for a young player and perhaps that interview is his condensation of one of the major factors which swung his decision. He was also courted by the NRL as he was going through Scots, the Roosters initially and then the Bunnies, so the comment that 'he wouldn't have even spoken to Michael McGuire' doesn't stack up.

And he hasn't ruled out returning to union one day, at this point in time I doubt he'd touch with a barge pole though.
Cheers mate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Interesting to see Henry Clunies-Ross is back from France to play for the Country Eagles in this years NRC.

Not suggesting we should pick him up, but I wonder why he returned?

Status
Not open for further replies.