• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
True - but Easts rolled him in an unsatisfactory way said to be based on the player's complaint that he was too prescriptive - (it was also dressed up as a money issue) - they had dubious cattle and he must have added something to their colts recruiting for season 2016 judging by who they got. There were also some wider improvements in player welfare under him - I don't know to what extent he was behind them.
Players I know who have been coached by him generally have a lot of time for him.

I was surprised at the time when Easts punted him and I think I remarked on this on the SS thread. Subsequent conversations that I've had with Rats people aren't that impressed. I have no skin in the game - as long as he's not at Manly I'm fine.

I'd be concerned if he was signed at the Waratahs on the current evidence though.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I was surprised at the time when Easts punted him and I think I remarked on this on the SS thread. Subsequent conversations that I've had with Rats people aren't that impressed. I have no skin in the game - as long as he's not at Manly I'm fine.

I'd be concerned if he was signed at the Waratahs on the current evidence though.
i haven't seen the rats this season.
Not sure why you're worried about the tahs going to a more structured plan in the short term: their current approach is not working.
Hats not to say Coleman should be anywhere near them, but, and it's a big but, being liked by all the players is both impossible and unhealthy.
It's not to be forgotten that tahs had players coming back from an EOYT a couple of years ago who convinced the then coach to give them a light workload: that's a price of wanting to be liked.
At my age I can only go on what those who've been coached by him tell me. There's also no doubt that club stalwarts often react badly to outside help - there was an element of this at easts, I feel.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The problem with a strong dependence on structure,is that it to be successful,you have to have the best cattle on the paddock.
The Tahs have previously tried this approach without success.

If you are relying upon former players opinions, you should note that whilst he has recruited 4 pros from the UK,he has only 1 from his former club.
Hardly a ringing endorsement.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Not sure why you're worried about the tahs going to a more structured plan in the short term: their current approach is not working.

Any structure would be more structure than they have at the moment, and I'm cetainly not worried about having more structure. My worry is having yet another person who is yet to prove himself anywhere involved in coaching at the elite level in Australia (as an assistant or as HC).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Any structure would be more structure than they have at the moment, and I'm cetainly not worried about having more structure. My worry is having yet another person who is yet to prove himself anywhere involved in coaching at the elite level in Australia (as an assistant or as HC).

Tony McGahan, Micheal Foley and Richard Graham are all available

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Neville has been fantastic in Qld Premier Rugby. Would make a team of the season for sure. Deserving of more Reds game time and would be a very good option if the Reds don't want him. I maintain he's a Wallaby in waiting. Just not sure of his age off the top of my head.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Seriously? Neville? What on earth has he done? Lots of chances, no performance. Unless I was looking the other way.

He's had no chances for the Reds this year because Stiles has an enormous hard on for Tui and Rodda (which may yet turn out to be justified, may not). IMO Neville still has massive potential, played very well last year for the Reds while carrying a dodgy shoulder and (unlike Houston) has kept his chin up and killed it in QPR despite getting 0 opportunities in 2017.

Based on having seen them both play for the Reds and in QPR I'd suggest that Neville > McDuling and he's probably better than Toleofoa or whatever other squad locks you have down there too. I'd love to see him head to NSW for an opportunity the move home to Manly would probably do him good.

He'll probably leave for yen though

Status
Not open for further replies.