• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Depends. If the Tahs must win lineout ball Hanigan's yer man; if the opposition have a very physical backrow the boxer starts. Horses for courses. However, I suspect St Catastrophe of the Injuries will have a significant say at the selection table.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I don't get this persistent "Dempsey isn't a lineout option" nonsense.

He took 2 or 3 this morning for the Wobs, didn't he? That's all he'll ever be required to take, per game, for the Waratahs.

Then we have the options of Rob Simmons at 4, his locking partner at 5, Holloway / Wells at 8 and we even used Hooper at 7 a few times last season.

The lineout should not be a factor.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I think Hanigan's inclusion will depend on whether or not Holloway regains form at Super level. If he's as indifferent as last year, I see Dempsey at 8 & Hanigan at 6. However, if Holloway gets back to his best, I see Hanigan as the lock/6 reserve.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It depends on who we recruit, but of the current squad, Hanigan would be competing with Staniforth and McDuling for that second lock spot (if Hanigan was to play in the second row).

It's certainly a reasonable proposition.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I thought Simmons was widely considered the best scrummaging lock. Sure I've read that hear somewhere any way.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

It's one of Simmo's contributions that get's missed.He is capable of being a superb scrumming lock. Also super in the line out. Reds fucked up letting this one go. Waratahs are well advised to use him sensibly as a pack leader. He's no Skelton. He is no maul wrecker. And unlike big Will he is fantastic in the set piece.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Isn't McDuling gone? If not, he should be.

He may be. I'm not sure.

For our squad to be effective I certainly think we need to move on. He's only good enough to be a squad player at this stage and I'd prefer that to be someone like Ryan McCauley who is young and improving than a journeyman.

Our key signing priorities are definitely lock and 13.

It would be good to grab another good prop too.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
It's one of Simmo's contributions that get's missed.He is capable of being a superb scrumming lock. Also super in the line out. Reds fucked up letting this one go. Waratahs are well advised to use him sensibly as a pack leader. He's no Skelton. He is no maul wrecker. And unlike big Will he is fantastic in the set piece.
Yeah its pretty depressing to think that Skelton and Simmons could have been the perfect match. Skelton would have fitted in very well with the Tahs forward pack.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Tahs needs a conventional lock. Skelton if staying wouldn't suit the required balance. The best Tahs back row lacks a bit of height and needs balancing with a lock that can serve the conventional requirements of a lock. What is of real Value to the Tahs is Simmons is excellent at set piece and I mean locking on both sides of the scrum. You also have a very professional player in him that will suit a young developing lock if you have one in your stocks. Not a bad place to be.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
With Simmons as the "stable" unit, I am quite comfortable with the McCauleys and Hanigans and Staniforths fighting for time in that other lock spot

Robertson
Latu
Kepu
Simmons
Staniforth
Hanigan
Hooper
Dempsey

Would provide a rather busy set of worker bees

I am still dubious on the value of Holloway, he disappears too often when the team is without the ball and with the ball he plays as a centre like David Lyons used to. In summary he needs to do more graft

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Really need another TH - Ainsley or Vui would both work
Another lock, Philip or Richie Arnold
a 13 - Rona would be an excellent fit and another winger, a speedster to complement the Tank (TN) on the other wing. with Peni or Newsome ideal.

We are a very short on muscle in the pack 2018 though.... the 2014 squad had TPN, Kepu, Skelton, JPot and Palu, who were an incredibly intimidating unit with a class back line to boot.

The potential 2018 forward pack, whilst industrious, don't look they will cause too many sleepless nights for the opposition.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Really need another TH - Ainsley or Vui would both work
Another lock, Philip or Richie Arnold
a 13 - Rona would be an excellent fit and another winger, a speedster to complement the Tank (TN) on the other wing. with Peni or Newsome ideal.

We are a very short on muscle in the pack 2018 though.. the 2014 squad had TPN, Kepu, Skelton, JPot and Palu, who were an incredibly intimidating unit with a class back line to boot.

The potential 2018 forward pack, whilst industrious, don't look they will cause too many sleepless nights for the opposition.

Meakes would be preferable over Rona. I doubt we have the budget for even half of those Force poachings, would be nice though.

Status
Not open for further replies.