• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Absolutely, but presumably the reason they would be offering a small contract to him is because it would be a substantial factor in keeping one of their key players.

In a perfect world you wouldn't offer him a contract but if it's what you need to do to keep a star player happy then so be it.
Ah, I see. If it’s an incentive to keep Israel that changes the game.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Absolutely, but presumably the reason they would be offering a small contract to him is because it would be a substantial factor in keeping one of their key players.

In a perfect world you wouldn't offer him a contract but if it's what you need to do to keep a star player happy then so be it.

Are they offering him a contract?

Or just the opportunity to play NRC? (and show his wares for the chance of a contract)

Players are paid very little to play in this comp.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Are they offering him a contract?

Or just the opportunity to play NRC? (and show his wares for the chance of a contract)

Players are paid very little to play in this comp.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

I have no idea.

Someone suggested he was going to get a Waratahs contract and then people took offence at that.

I would guess it might be the same as the other Folau brother a few years ago (Eni Folau?). They made him part of preseason training and let him play a couple of trials to see if he was capable of earning a contract.

I'd guess he'll get a couple of opportunities in the NRC first before anything further is offered.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Just received my SCG/SFS membership renewal. There will be at least three Tahs games at SCG and the field will run East/West (same as A-League) rather than the usual North/South

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
I am curious as to why the Tahs have not announced any new signings for next year. Surely with the experience we have lost and the results so far in the NRC shows the Tahs need to recruit. For one big forwards.
We have lost Paddy Ryan, Big T and Foley and Israel still haven't been announced either way.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I imagine all the big money is tied up in the re-signings they're still sorting out. Probably looking to the NRC for the rest, which gives them some time.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
I agree, same thing happened last year and we missed out on a bunch of players, in saying this maybe they did not want to come to the Tahs.

We need to start building now

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I am curious as to why the Tahs have not announced any new signings for next year. Surely with the experience we have lost and the results so far in the NRC shows the Tahs need to recruit. For one big forwards.

We have lost Paddy Ryan, Big T and Foley and Israel still haven't been announced either way.

The Foxsports podcast had Cron on a few weeks ago, they are working through the search, I doubt if we will see a marque type signing though, they don't have the money

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
The Foxsports podcast had Cron on a few weeks ago, they are working through the search, I doubt if we will see a marque type signing though, they don't have the money

I hope not. looking at the NRC there isn't much there. We need big hard hitting forwards and fast. It showed throughout 2018 and the final games how much we need them. The light mobile pack will not stand up against giants. Brumbies and lions showed us that.

We won't have Big T to score his barging tries next year and if Folau goes so does another few elements in out attack.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I hope not. looking at the NRC there isn't much there. We need big hard hitting forwards and fast. It showed throughout 2018 and the final games how much we need them. The light mobile pack will not stand up against giants. Brumbies and lions showed us that.

We won't have Big T to score his barging tries next year and if Folau goes so does another few elements in out attack.

Folau's wife is moving to Sydney, he will sign, Foley will sign on until after the RWC

Wilson

David Codey (61)

There's not a lot available anywhere. Outside of looking at the NRC the best bet is someone like Skelton, but they need to sort out re-signings before they know what money they have to bring a guy home. It's also the very beginning of the Northern season so there's no rush on that. There's no more foreign marquee signings so it's not as though they can just pick an choose guys like potgeiter to fill that role.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Realistically there aren't many holes to fill.

Re-sign Foley and Folau.

Sign Skelton.

I'd be tempted to try and upgrade the reserve THP spot behind Kepu but at the same time Vui shows promise. I'm not sure whether he is going to end up being good enough to take over from Kepu but you have to give him a chance to see if he can.

If Naivalu expresses interest in moving then he would be a great recruit on the wing.

Aside from that we're pretty well covered.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)

Re-sign Foley and Folau.

Sign Skelton.

I'd be tempted to try and upgrade the reserve THP spot behind Kepu but at the same time Vui shows promise. I'm not sure whether he is going to end up being good enough to take over from Kepu but you have to give him a chance to see if he can.

If Naivalu expresses interest in moving then he would be a great recruit on the wing.

Sorry I disagree. We need big enforcing forwards. The teams with the big forwards steam rolled us. One forward won't change that. Look at our depth in the NRC in the forwards. The Rays were steam rolled. The problem is like last year the Tahs have stood back and now there is not much else left to sign. The Brumbies and the rebels have strengthened their sides including more forwards.

I am hoping the Tahs have an Ace up their sleeves either that while the other teams get stronger the Tahs will start to slip.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
I believe John Falou will get a contract but he is raw so don't hold out much hope of him making an impact, lets see how his NRC campaign goes..but his brother can play so maybe just maybe!!

Now, I just want to make sure I've got this right.

Israel Folau has a brother, and his name isn't Jordan?

What a missed opportunity.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Sorry I disagree. We need big enforcing forwards. The teams with the big forwards steam rolled us. One forward won't change that. Look at our depth in the NRC in the forwards. The Rays were steam rolled. The problem is like last year the Tahs have stood back and now there is not much else left to sign. The Brumbies and the rebels have strengthened their sides including more forwards.

I am hoping the Tahs have an Ace up their sleeves either that while the other teams get stronger the Tahs will start to slip.

I think one experienced lock is going to improve that.

Our backrow is what it is. You can wish that it was structured differently and we have a big ball running number 8 but we are stocked in the backrow with Hooper, Hanigan, Dempsey, Miller, Wells and Holloway (unless he stays at lock).

Beyond the next round of contracts you would change that player mix but at the moment it just isn't possible. It's a zero sum game in terms of the budget we have available and where we can use it. If you spend it on the backrow you're going to end up with test players on the bench and big holes elsewhere in the side.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

Re-sign Foley and Folau.

Sign Skelton.

THP remains a massive issue. Even with Vui, there really needs to be a third option because even if he signs for another year in 2020 Kepu is nearing the end of his career and the Tahs need to me using him in an active mentoring role now. I also add Hooker in as I still do not rate Fitzpatrick at Super Level and Latu needs to be under some genuine pressure to maintain form and application, he is in real danger of falling off the top level, with the erratic performances he has put in.

Status
Not open for further replies.