• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The young Chief Nasiganiyavi was also hyped from some quarters in the Australian media, unfortunately, as the next Jonah Lomu. The portents there are rarely good.

Instead of the 100% work needed to MIH, the expectation (and, sometimes, sense of entitlement) can often grow instead. To be fair, I think he also had a few hardships growing up.

Even with all that, I remember thinking what a lost opportunity it was when the tahs gave him the chop.

He had a bit of bother in England on the way too, IIRC. Nadolo took a long time to reach his potential, though. Eventually did come good but his career could have been a whole lot bigger.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The young Chief Nasiganiyavi was also hyped from some quarters in the Australian media, unfortunately, as the next Jonah Lomu. The portents there are rarely good.

Instead of the 100% work needed to MIH, the expectation (and, sometimes, sense of entitlement) can often grow instead. To be fair, I think he also had a few hardships growing up.

Even with all that, I remember thinking what a lost opportunity it was when the tahs gave him the chop.

He had a bit of bother in England on the way too, IIRC. Nadolo took a long time to reach his potential, though. Eventually did come good but his career could have been a whole lot bigger.

I think the Tahs definitely cut him far too soon. Used to watch him in the Shute Shield and he was one of those players that you could see given the right environment had the ability to develop into something. The Tahs just weren't nearly patient or proactive about in trying to realise his talents.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
I think the Tahs definitely cut him far too soon. Used to watch him in the Shute Shield and he was one of those players that you could see given the right environment had the ability to develop into something. The Tahs just weren't nearly patient or proactive about in trying to realise his talents.

I think blaming the tahs for cutting a player who has a poor attitude and work ethic is a bit rich. You'd have to be Nostradamus to get any of those calls right. Unfortunately you win some and you lose some.

Remember that enormous 2nd rower they had a few years ago, Greg Peterson, supposed to be the next big thing..... on the books for 3 yrs and barely played a game. In my view all the young blokes like that should be on one year contracts.

'The Tahs just weren't nearly patient or proactive about in trying to realise his talents'

Very easy to say in hindsight, especially when you have plenty of other players potentially deserving of an opportunity.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I actually think there are a few similarities between Skelton and Ratu/Nadolo.

This is speaking with absolutely no knowledge of either player, so take this with a grain of salt. But I wonder if both needed to get away from NSW to find a bit of maturity and some personal growth.

It's easy to point to a player succeeding O/S after leaving Australia and go 'what a blunder letting him leave'. But in many cases I wonder if the distance is exactly what was needed to bring out the best performance. It's off-field as much as it is on-field.

I doubt Ratu could have become what he is now if he remained at the Tahs. The shame for Aussie rugby was he never came back. I hope the same doesn't happen with Skelton, but at least we've got the Wallaby jersey as a pull factor.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
id love to see skelton back next year so long as he doesnt develop the habits of other former os players who come back here and realise they dont need to work as hard

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
id love to see skelton back next year so long as he doesnt develop the habits of other former os players who come back here and realise they dont need to work as hard

I would love him back but I am curious if the Tahs will sign him and the South African lock. Hell I would love both of them at the Tahs.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Getting dropped from a top pro club often kickstarts your game, it doesn’t matter whether it’s NSW or Canterbury.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I actually think there are a few similarities between Skelton and Ratu/Nadolo.

This is speaking with absolutely no knowledge of either player, so take this with a grain of salt. But I wonder if both needed to get away from NSW to find a bit of maturity and some personal growth.

It's easy to point to a player succeeding O/S after leaving Australia and go 'what a blunder letting him leave'. But in many cases I wonder if the distance is exactly what was needed to bring out the best performance. It's off-field as much as it is on-field.

I doubt Ratu could have become what he is now if he remained at the Tahs. The shame for Aussie rugby was he never came back. I hope the same doesn't happen with Skelton, but at least we've got the Wallaby jersey as a pull factor.
Doesn't seem to be worth too much these days.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

Serious? The bloke was sacked or let go by three teams after the Waratahs before he got to the Crusaders.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Not weird really, gives them some different ideas. Griffin seems to be a no-nonsense coach and would be keen for a gig so could give them a point of difference as long as the Tahs don't start wrestling everyone.

I’m with LC - I quite like this. A measure of success is that Darrel seems surprised. “He’s given us a lot of ideas, that’s for sure”. That’s a very good thing.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Papers have Hunt to the Tahs

Karmichael Hunt will part ways with the Queensland Reds by Christmas and could be in the frame for a NSW call-up in 2019.

You would need a serious testing protocol, but he would be nice @13 if he can stay clean

Reactions: dru
Status
Not open for further replies.