• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
Yes he’s signed with a Japanese team
It’s a dam shame. I think he will go down as one Aus Rugby shouldn’t have let go. He form this year has been a real step up on the last couple. He looks to have cut out some of the silly penalties of the past.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
My issue with Staniforth is his lack of dynamism in the contact. While there are legitimate reasons to take the hit and drop as have been mentioned. It's probably in the minority of his carries where such scenarios apply. He a bit like Paddy Ryan and Ben Alexander when it came to scrummaging. Both had glaring technical faults that were never addressed by both coaches or themselves. In Staniforth's case it's the insistence of going to ground often without moving the ball beyond the advantage line. And while it's not always possible it would be nice to see it happen at all.

Definitely not saying he is a quality player - he is mediocre. But mediocre is better then nothing, and nothing is what the Waratahs have. HOPEFULLY the 20 yr olds will come thorugh and be stronger eventually, but they didnt get to play U20 this year so we really have no idea, so in the absence of the starters (simmons and hanigan) and knowing mccauley is also mediocre, Staniforth is all we got!

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
If the Tahs have let Simmons go early, lost Tafa and Hanigan I really hope Penney has a lock or two locked in to replace them

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Problem is the Tahs have kept him for another 2 years so unfortunately it means he will be in the matchday 23

He certainly will be next year because we've lost our other options.

We need to recruit well and develop others so that we can improve on him.

Re-signing him is an entirely different equation to keeping Rob Simmons and to a lesser extent Ned Hanigan though. Dollars will be totally different. I'd guess that if we had been able to kept both of them then we'd have been looking at moving on from Staniforth.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Tafa was always in that same spot as Hanigan. Only just big enough to be a Super Rugby lock and not big enough play test rugby at lock. Would have been good to see some more of him but always a bit tenuous having a 1.94m player as a lock.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Tafa was always in that same spot as Hanigan. Only just big enough to be a Super Rugby lock and not big enough play test rugby at lock. Would have been good to see some more of him but always a bit tenuous having a 1.94m player as a lock.

100% agree but again the Tahs are short on locks for next season so hopefully someone is on the radar

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
100% agree but again the Tahs are short on locks for next season so hopefully someone is on the radar

Hard to know what the deal was with Tafa. I can only assume the cash discrepancy would have been really high. He rightfully would only be getting offered a pretty basic Super Rugby contract and there's a lot of uncertainty for next year as well.

You wonder whether hanging around a bit longer would have seen him get a better offer because some of his competitors had moved on.

That said, for a young guy to have a crack overseas when there hasn't been a lot of money or opportunity locally is probably a pretty solid choice.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
A lot of what is being said of Staniforth now has been said of hanigan for years now. I don’t think it’s particularly staniforths fault we don’t have a powerful ball runner in our pack. He has a big engine and puts in a lot of work. Yes, he could carry stronger but he’s never going to bend the line like poltgieter or naisarani, that’s not his job and I don’t think he has the capability of that. His job is quick ball and if we don’t have someone capable of capitalising on that, it’s not his fault. With two experienced locks going, we need someone to guide the newer guys through. If it’s him, I can deal with that. I’m not saying he’s the next victor Matfield or anything, just seems a tad harsh to me

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hard to know what the deal was with Tafa. I can only assume the cash discrepancy would have been really high. He rightfully would only be getting offered a pretty basic Super Rugby contract and there's a lot of uncertainty for next year as well.

You wonder whether hanging around a bit longer would have seen him get a better offer because some of his competitors had moved on.

That said, for a young guy to have a crack overseas when there hasn't been a lot of money or opportunity locally is probably a pretty solid choice.

Pretty easy choice for a player who has struggled to get in the match day 23 I would have thought - ie take more money on offer from overseas gig - especially with ongoing uncertainty of next year....(read: no broadcast deal yet signed and some way away from that happening it seems).

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think a lot of these Jap deals are for one season only. In theory the players can play for the Wallabies this season, go up there till May, be back playing Supe or whatever it is, and then playing for the Wallabies again next year. Given the uncertainty it’s an OK compromise. These are professional sports people remember, just not some dudes looking for a bit of coin on the side.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I’ve never seen much in Pat? But I might not of watched him close enough. Japan seems to be a great competition to build continuity and confidence in your game.

There was an element of impact about him and I guess some thought that he'd be one of those players who would provide some real go forward that the Tahs have lacked. He showed some promise in and around the Waratah 'A's, but the reality is we haven't really seem much of him at Super level to make a judgement and I suspect the coaches obviously haven't seen enough to lock him down like Ramm and some of the other young prospects. Hard to say if he's a loss or not at this stage.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
How's Connor Vest going up north at UQ Rugby? He's always looked like he might make it with a few stints with the Waratahs and Brumbies in the past but never made it over the line. In this shortfall of mature locks it might finally be his chance to get a call up.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think a lot of these Jap deals are for one season only. In theory the players can play for the Wallabies this season, go up there till May, be back playing Supe or whatever it is, and then playing for the Wallabies again next year. Given the uncertainty it’s an OK compromise. These are professional sports people remember, just not some dudes looking for a bit of coin on the side.
There will be a handful maybe more of guys do exactly this.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Well if the Tahs are loosing all these players they had better recruit decent ones to replace them

Big hard running forwards are a must

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Agreed. We need someone to bend the line, Dempsey will be more effective with his footwork off fast, front foot ball. As with the team in general.