• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
What sort of a pay cut has be taken this year?

His pay was cut by 66% according to the Australian, along with all players earning more than $300k pa. As part of the RUPA negotiated pay deal in April, 5 players were granted the right to a 6 month sabbatical to top up their pay - Rodda, Beale, DHP, To'omua and Hooper.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Ah fuck it, he has taken a massive pay cut, whether he was on big money to start with is besides the point, he could have earned even greater money overseas and not taken a pay cut. Will be a loss for the Tahs in 2021, but better then losing him for good.

I agree. Seems a reasonable compromise all things considered. Actually with him being such a dominate/injury free player in his position I'm actually excited to see how Tizzano or Gamble (or someone else) might go.

Poor Penney though, his squad depth/experience is sure starting to look a little light.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
Hooper leaving for a season takes a lot of pressure off the salary pressure. Hopefully the departure of these big names allows for some decent signings.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I agree. Seems a reasonable compromise all things considered. Actually with him being such a dominate/injury free player in his position I'm actually excited to see how Tizzano or Gamble (or someone else) might go.

Poor Penney though, his squad depth/experience is sure starting to look a little light.

Yes, I think Penney was aware he would be losing quite a bit of experience before he took the job, and he has the reputation of being a good developer of young talent. But even so, this has been a stunning turnover in 12 months.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think we're good for pretty much every position but lock and hooker (depth after Horton). We have to sign some locks soon because I don't think young talent will cut it for the tight 5 just yet.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Yes, I think Penney was aware he would be losing quite a bit of experience before he took the job, and he has the reputation of being a good developer of young talent. But even so, this has been a stunning turnover in 12 months.

I have no doubt he knew it would be a rebuilding task, but to have his budget cut plus to have so much of his experience all leave in such a short window as you said makes for an interesting/challenging situation. You’ve got to think the Tah's are years behind the Brumbies and Reds, one who has had excellent squad management and transitions and another that has been slowly building from a young bunch of players for years now.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I think we're good for pretty much every position but lock and hooker (depth after Horton). We have to sign some locks soon because I don't think young talent will cut it for the tight 5 just yet.

I agree re: the lock situation. The young lads just haven't had even enough time in Super to be stepping up as run ons and I'm not even 100% convinced that Jed Holloway is a lock. I'd happily take someone of Rodda or Harry Hockings ability (ethical views on those two aside) or even better Skelton.

Might be one of those cases where you bring in some quality overseas talent for a year to give the young lads some breathing room to develop. Similar to the Rebels with Geoff Parling.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I have no doubt he knew it would be a rebuilding task, but to have his budget cut plus to have so much of his experience all leave in such a short window as you said makes for an interesting/challenging situation. You’ve got to think the Tah's are years behind the Brumbies and Reds, one who has had excellent squad management and transitions and another that has been slowly building from a young bunch of players for years now.
I’m not sure the 45-12 score line reflects us being years behind the Reds. Don’t read that to mean that I think that is an indication of where we are at. It isn’t. However we have a young squad with huge potential and that result proves that. 2021 may not be our year but I reckon 2022 might be.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I’m not sure the 45-12 score line reflects us being years behind the Reds. Don’t read that to mean that I think that is an indication of where we are at. It isn’t. However we have a young squad with huge potential and that result proves that. 2021 may not be our year but I reckon 2022 might be.

Ok, maybe there was a little hyperbole in my statement, but I do feel like that the style that Penney is trying to instil is still some time off, not to mention having the type of squad like the Brumbies with a spectrum of depth, experience and interchangeability.

The youth and skys the limit potential definitely excites me, but ultimately I'd rather it be interspersed with some experience and mature heads.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Agreed. Always though we just needed someone to bend the line and give us front foot ball. A player like dempsey is more effective after a quick recycle than as a battering ram. It also opens up options for Harrison to pick holes in the oppositions defence. And not a grubber in sight (From him anyway)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yes thought Moeroa really offered lot of good go forward which in some ways given only first start was surprising and bit of the difference as Foketi offered nothing and Walton is good player and on the improve but not yet the finished product so a Walton and Foketi combo was weak centre pairing.

If hunt not retained due to salary cuts, Moeroa will be important for Tahs next season and on this game looks like he could be a regular starting centre for the Tahs...

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
OK, Here's my Christmas shopping list for any Billionaire rugby philanthropists who wants to make the Tahs great again... won't hold my breath though. Add these boys to the current squad and the tahs would be a real handful!

Tolu Latu - Was close to our best player at RWC 19
Skelton - We desperately need the bulk and line bending that he brings
Rodda - He's a NSW boy anyway... Another big frame
Zane Nongorr - He'll be stuck behind TT for years, he could have a big future here
Samu Kerevi - Big body in the backs, our current guys are all fast, skillful and tough... but the big collisions need a few big bodies. Qld looking good in the backs with JOC (James O'Connor), Paisami, Petaia, Vunivalu, Daungunu etc, amazingly they probably don't even need him!
Taqele Naiyaravoro - See above.

OK Santa, over to you!

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
OK, Here's my Christmas shopping list for any Billionaire rugby philanthropists who wants to make the Tahs great again. won't hold my breath though. Add these boys to the current squad and the tahs would be a real handful!

Tolu Latu - Was close to our best player at RWC 19
Skelton - We desperately need the bulk and line bending that he brings
Rodda - He's a NSW boy anyway. Another big frame
Zane Nongorr - He'll be stuck behind TT for years, he could have a big future here
Samu Kerevi - Big body in the backs, our current guys are all fast, skillful and tough. but the big collisions need a few big bodies. Qld looking good in the backs with JOC (James O'Connor), Paisami, Petaia, Vunivalu, Daungunu etc, amazingly they probably don't even need him!
Taqele Naiyaravoro - See above.

OK Santa, over to you!

I don't rate Kerevi. He made so many great line-breaks, but it's telling that the Reds are playing better without him. I'd rather an outside centre who can make offloads stick rather than give away possession all the time. All your other suggestions are great though.