• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Brumbies, round 6, Sunday 22 March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Without doubt the Tahs will need to play their best game of the season so far to be competitive.

Hopefully they're up for the challenge. They were alright in patches against the Highlanders but had a huge slump for a 10 minute period where they let in 3 tries.

They need to get more clinical close when they have the ball in the opposition 22.

This will be a good test of where the Tahs scrum is at. It's certainly improved but the Brumbies are the toughest challenge they've faced yet in that regard.

I expect it will be a close game. I can't see the Tahs capitulating like they did at home against the Force in round 1.

Watch out for the backs from both teams checking their hair out on the new Super Screens.

Jack Cheadle

Frank Row (1)
Haven't we missed big Kane this year! Pots not really having the same impact being used as a starting 6.
Im sorry to upset a few posters and fans but Dennis is an absolute log. Chapman, Skelton starting locks, Pots to the bench with Hoiles to start at 6. Pots and Louisi to add impact to the bench. Hooper to skipper

Not going to happen but would be a much better rounded team, regardless of losing the leader.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Haven't we missed big Kane this year! Pots not really having the same impact being used as a starting 6.
Im sorry to upset a few posters and fans but Dennis is an absolute log. Chapman, Skelton starting locks, Pots to the bench with Hoiles to start at 6. Pots and Louisi to add impact to the bench. Hooper to skipper

Not going to happen but would be a much better rounded team, regardless of losing the leader.

One quiet game for the captain and you want him dropped? Won't happen - he's been good in the tight in other games.

Jack Cheadle

Frank Row (1)
One quiet game for the captain and you want him dropped? Won't happen - he's been good in the tight in other games.

Im not referring to just one game. Does the 'good in the tight' u speak of refer to when he smashed a fullback as he was passing the ball in the same game Lopeti Timani was laying out prominent ball runners. Seriously to me good in the tight means blowing away defenders at the breakdown, disrupting opposition ball, putting offensive tackles on ball runners, forcing a turnover. If you see him do this I apologise but being a old forward i watch predominantly the breakdown and haven't seen this.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
If you're going to be one of those people, please change your Waratahs logo to Reds or something.

Waratahs are favourites according to Tom Waterhouse.

But he has a face you just want to punch, so I can't take him, or anything associated with him, seriously.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
I expect the tahs will lift for this one so it's gonna be close. A win would be huge for the ponies so hopefully that doesn't weigh to much on their minds, a loss for the tahs might work better as motivation for the home team.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Tough game to tip TBH. Brumbies biggest test will be playing out the full 80mins. They're playing a fast paced brand of rugby at the moment but need to be able to string that together for the whole match.

Tahs need to be consistent and use their big boppers wisely.

My gut says Brumbies by 6.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
What one of those people who wants to see his side field the best team available. Farrrk hate to be one of them

Sorry, perhaps I should explain that better:

If you think Chapman would do a better starting job than Dennis, you don't know much about rugby.

Chapman's impact from the bench is good. Dennis' leadership and impact in the starting role is working well.

Just because you don't see him doesn't mean he isn't doing anything.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Dennis has been in excellent nick this year. Best he's looked for a good long while. Definitely wouldn't be swapping him with Chapman.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If anything you'd be putting Dennis to 6 and bringing in Chapman for Potgieter. I love Potgeiter's attitude to collisions but he's been really inaccurate lately and cannot afford that against the Brums who are the most accurate team in the comp.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
You know who's surprised me this year for the Brumbies, is Jordan Smiler, his coming on adding a massive presence in games. If Fardy was injuried (god forbid) I wouldn't worry as I think Smilers been looking great.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You know who's surprised me this year for the Brumbies, is Jordan Smiler, his coming on adding a massive presence in games. If Fardy was injuried (god forbid) I wouldn't worry as I think Smilers been looking great.

It says a lot when they replace Arnold with Smiler instead of Enver.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
It says a lot when they replace Arnold with Smiler instead of Enver.

His playing like a man possessed...Its probably the beard.. His unlucky his behind so many good players at the Brumbies starting to prove his up to Super standard.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeh given that the Tahs are starting Skelton this season, they might benefit from injecting Pots into the game at the 50-55 minute mark.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Hard game to pick. The Brumbies are playing better rugby at the moment, but the Tahs aren't far off. I could see the Tahs winning with home ground advantage but certainly wont be risking any of my hard earned money on this game.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If anything you'd be putting Dennis to 6 and bringing in Chapman for Potgieter. I love Potgeiter's attitude to collisions but he's been really inaccurate lately and cannot afford that against the Brums who are the most accurate team in the comp.

Chapman doesn't offer enough around the park, better to work on Pot's accuracy and decision making.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Chapman get less time this week with Skelton told to go harder for 40/50 minutes (Dennis was pulled early last week and they seem to rotate) and Lousi then coming on as replacement for the balance

We need to bend the line to get the front foot fast ball

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If they play with pace, precision, and patience when in possession, there will be no line to bend.

With speed of execution and accuracy when in possession, the Ponies won't have time to organise their solid defence structures and the gaps will appear.

Unfortunately precision and patience in possession have not been evident from the Tahs so far this year, and they seem to have relied primarily on power to penetrate. Against prepared Ponies defensive procedures, this power penetration policy will probably provide poor pressure and the Ponies will prevail.

Today's post brought to you by the letter P.

Status
Not open for further replies.