• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Brumbies, round 6, Sunday 22 March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
If they play with pace, precision, and patience when in possession, there will be no line to bend.

With speed of execution and accuracy when in possession, the Ponies won't have time to organise their solid defence structures and the gaps will appear.

Unfortunately precision and patience in possession have not been evident from the Tahs so far this year, and they seem to have relied primarily on power to penetrate. Against prepared Ponies defensive procedures, this power penetration policy will probably provide poor pressure and the Ponies will prevail.

Today's post brought to you by the letter P.

This post has got me totally peeed off.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Positively proper post perniciously pummeling puissant ponies, eh what?

JacPot is a better starter IMHO. His energy is good for getting the team going, and he can get into his work while everyone is still changing gears.

Lousi comes on for big ball running unit to replace Skelton late in the game.

Jack Cheadle

Frank Row (1)
Sorry, perhaps I should explain that better:

If you think Chapman would do a better starting job than Dennis, you don't know much about rugby.

Chapman's impact from the bench is good. Dennis' leadership and impact in the starting role is working well.

Just because you don't see him doesn't mean he isn't doing anything.
Oh wow, ok new to this whole forum thing. Time to knuckle in.

Chapman is not the greatest player to lace a boot for sure, I think he outpoints Dennis on the field (for reasons we obviously dont agree on) and with Skelton as the other second rower its imperative that its a lineout general replacing the other. I like Pots on the bench and believe Hoiles is a better 6 then Dennis.

Seeing it is that I know so little can you explain to me how

" Dennis' leadership and impact in the starting role is working well."

And the whole I dont see him thing is that kind of like how you dont see guys like Retallic and Whitelock ; clearing guys past the ball, smashing guys in defence, pestering at the breakdown - Oh wait a second, you do.

PFITZY , Im guessing you were like a prop who use to arrive at breakdowns flop to the bottom of the ruck, get up last and pride yourself on being "good in the tight stuff"

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
If they play with pace, precision, and patience when in possession, there will be no line to bend.

With speed of execution and accuracy when in possession, the Ponies won't have time to organise their solid defence structures and the gaps will appear.

Unfortunately precision and patience in possession have not been evident from the Tahs so far this year, and they seem to have relied primarily on power to penetrate. Against prepared Ponies defensive procedures, this power penetration policy will probably provide poor pressure and the Ponies will prevail.

Today's post brought to you by the letter P.

HJ, if speed of execution and accuracy in possession are what is needed to break the Brumbies' defensive line, and if the Tahs have been missing those aspects in earlier games, than I'd have to say they are in good company as very few line breaks have been made against the Brumbies' defensive line this year.

But back to the game in question, I expect the Tahs to be more on their game than so far this year and the result will most likely be close, whichever way it goes. I do like (or maybe don't like for this week) the way Lousi can break the line. Is it possible he will start?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
^^^ The best way to not make a line break is to give the defence time to organise a line.

Just maybe, the Brumbies have learnt, or adopted a strategy, that allows them to realign their defense quicker than the other teams they've met to date can get their attacking structures in place. And just maybe, they are able to do that because they don't have to hide players at fullback or on the wing once there is a turn over. Just a thought.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And the whole I dont see him thing is that kind of like how you dont see guys like Retallic and Whitelock ; clearing guys past the ball, smashing guys in defence, pestering at the breakdown - Oh wait a second, you do.

I don't see ANY lock in Australia who is as good as Retallick or Whitelock. That's not the point.

PFITZY , Im guessing you were like a prop who use to arrive at breakdowns flop to the bottom of the ruck, get up last and pride yourself on being "good in the tight stuff"

All that - except the bit about getting to the ruck, yes.

I was a prop, and actually pretty fucking good at the tight stuff, to the point where I held Tony Daly off for a whole three scrums one day in 2nd Grade, on my non-preferred THP side. Legend.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I am not suggesting that the Ponies have not adopted a strategy to quickly realign their defence quicker than their opponents can get their next phase started. In reality it doesn't matter what strategy a team adopts to realign their defence if the attacking team fluffs around all day at the breakdown to clear the ball, or to get their receiver or runners in place for the next phase.

I am merely suggesting that playing with speed and precision is another way to "bend the line". I get the feeling that many people an absolute necessity for a 198cm, 120 kg, 11 sec for 100m bruiser at No8 or BSF to "bend the line" and in the absence of these rare beasts from their roster, their team is then doomed to not be able to get over the advantage line from any phase ball.

Production from the Unicorn Farm has been severely affected by the drought, and consequently the "Australian Way" has been to use the speed of ball movement to dislocate defences. Increasing the speed of the ball recycle at the breakdown contributes to that dislocation. With patience, pressure built up by speed of recycle and speed of ball movement will eventually create the cracks in the opposition defence.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
ah jeez, they've picked Taquele to start on the wing. I predict it will go as well as that time Link picked Turinui to start opposite Habana. Time to put Tomane in my fantasy team...

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
1. Robinson
2. Latu
3. Kepu
4. Skelton
5. Dennis (C)
6. Potgieter
7. Hooper (VC)
8. Palu
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Horne
12. Beale
13. Carraro
14. Naiyaravoro
15. Folau (VC)

RESERVES
16. Roach
17. Tilse
18. Ryan
19. Lousi
20. Chapman
21. Hoiles
22. McKibbin
23. Lance
24. Betham

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Pocock back on the bench for the Brumbies

1. Ben Alexander
2. Stephen Moore (c)
3. Scott Sio
4. Rory Arnold
5. Sam Carter
6. Scott Fardy
7. Jarrad Butler
8. Ita Vaea
9. Nic White
10. Matt To'omua
11. Joe Tomane
12. Christian Lealiifano
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Henry Speight
15. Robbie Coleman

Replacements
16. Josh Mann-Rea
17. Jean-Pierre Smith
18. Ruan Smith
19. Jordan Smiler
20. David Pocock
21. Michael Dowsett
22. James Dargaville
23. Lausii Taliauli

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Haven't heard anything about his ear infection lately.

Maybe with the bye after this game, they'll give him that extra week to get over it.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Probably best that Mogg isn't yet available.

Jesse+Mogg+l+Michael+Hooper+hckUD8ycZ9zm.jpg

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Pfitzy, choose between the Dove & Olive in Devonshire Street, the Keg & Brew in Foveaux Street or The Local Taphouse. Food and beer are great at all three watering holes, your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.