• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Brumbies, SFS Saturday 26 July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't think anyone from the Tahs got injured.

Which is hard to believe. The defence was absolutely brutal by both teams. It was Bledisloe test intensity all night. The quality of the Tahs attacking defence was what beat the Brumbies in the end. I lost count after five minutes of the number of Brumbies runs where they ended up five metres behind the gain line.

I also thought Carter and Fardy for the Brumbies were sensational in reply. Carter really impresses me with the quality of his work, he will be good in the RC I think.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Beale should be alright. He's had that stinger problem a few times this year.

When you see the amount of strapping tape that holds his shoulders in place it's both a little worrying but also reassuring.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Beale should be alright. He's had that stinger problem a few times this year.

When you see the amount of strapping tape that holds his shoulders in place it's both a little worrying but also reassuring.

Crawford should still be in the 23 instead of Naiyaravoro.
He didn't get a stinger from any contact between his shoulder and Speight.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Just watched it finally, I had a massive fight with the missus as she told me we lost before I got to watch the game... But I would like to say Well done Tah's and Brumbies.. Im guttered I really thought we had the play of the game but Tah's just D'ing like they Chekia put his sole in them..

I think as a game Brumbies put on all the pressure but Tah's took their chances..

Good Luck Tah's next week you deserve a championship.

I dont think I will say this ever again... BUT CAARRRNNNN TTAAAHHHSSS

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Regarding the crowd. Watching it on TV you can often get a good feel for the vocalisation present. I thought last night the crowd were well in to the game. Certainly louder then I've witnessed in a long time. Hell, on more than one occasion last night you could actually hear the chant NSW quite clearly.

There is always going to be those who seem to think cheering, chants etc just isn't Rugby but to them I say "tough shit". The atmosphere has definitely been building at Tahs games this season. Has a lot to do with the game they are playing. When people are actually enthralled in what's going on they are more likely to get into it.

But the cheer quieter thing has been around for a while. I actually have been told to shut up on several occasions by those around me in the past. Not for abusing players or officials but for cheering to loudly. One eve. Told me I was distracting h from his conversation. Who pays $100+ to not watch a test match?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Which is hard to believe. The defence was absolutely brutal by both teams. It was Bledisloe test intensity all night. The quality of the Tahs attacking defence was what beat the Brumbies in the end. I lost count after five minutes of the number of Brumbies runs where they ended up five metres behind the gain line.

I also thought Carter and Fardy for the Brumbies were sensational in reply. Carter really impresses me with the quality of his work, he will be good in the RC I think.

How good has Carter been since getting a sniff in the French tests, to me his always been hard working but now his dominating contact and running like a back. His gone up a level this year, seriously impressive...

And well Fardy is Fardy.. his just the guy you would want to play with and hate to play against... fighting for an inch..

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The same people who are so disinterested in the ebb and flow they leave their seats several times to get beer.
Does this happen in all countries?
Never seen it in NZ and the one game I've been to at Twickenham no one moved for 2 hours!

I've never worked out why people pay to go to the match and then spend about a quarter of the game in beer queues:confused:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Sio got subbed for Ruan Smith with maybe 10 to go. If Alexander came off it was in the dying minutes.

Thought that might be the case. The Brumbies bench front row was really going to be a sore point. For a couple of Saffer rep players, the Smith brus are pretty shit scrummagers.

But the cheer quieter thing has been around for a while. I actually have been told to shut up on several occasions by those around me in the past. Not for abusing players or officials but for cheering to loudly. One eve. Told me I was distracting h from his conversation. Who pays $100+ to not watch a test match?

There are some real pillocks out there.

OK back to the game - I haven't seen a replay and will probably never get around to it, not being a Fuxtard subscriber. But from my seat a dozen rows back on halfway:

Nic White had a poor start to the game, with a few errant passes early on resulting in the Tahs having time to rush up and smack the carrier, or pick up a loose ball for Alofa's try.

I felt the Waratahs had the edge in the scrum. The early short arm against us for "pushing early" made us a bit gun shy, and Fardy took full advantage by sliding up onto the front row every time Peyper wasn't watching. I'm told that Joubert was giving Peyper advice on the scrum but he appeared to be ignoring it. Tahs were penalised a couple of times but got the heave-ho going as well really effectively.

Fucking lineout. JEEZ! Too slow setting up is the first issue, giving the opposition plenty of time to line them up. Also the throw versus the lift has the jumper in the air too long, allowing him to get beaten by a quicker lift. Not enough throws were called to Douglas or Palu, and Hoiles got picked off multiple times calling himself. Chapman improved things noticeably. Brumbies did some good quick moves off the front which should have been a lesson to us.

General play was just fucking furious. Peyper gave no fucks for the offiside line, but here is the biggest issue the Tahs had: Phipps.

In the first half, he was step-passing (and sometimes step-step) which was allowing the Brumbies tons of time to get up in our face (including some very nice shooter work by Kuridrani, To'omua, and Lilo). In the second half he cut that shit out which improved our attack noticeably. There was one period where we were getting some pretty serious gain line runs going because the pace was back on the ball.

The 6-2 bench worked out perfectly. Douglas busted his arse all around the park in a largely unsung performance, then Skelton came on to destroy the Brumbies' maul prospects and cause some damage in midfield. And the offload - HOW WAS THE OFFLOAD?

Folau was very well looked after but created a little space towards the end. Couple of silly offload attempts that fortunately bounced the right way for us.

Brumbies seemed to fall back on "chuck it to Henry" as their first and second attack plans. He looked dangerous all night too with Kuridrani out there helping.

Peyper, in case I hadn't mentioned it, was a useless c**t. The knock-on by Foley, the scrum shenanigans, the high tackle on AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) where advantage expired almost instantaneously - the list is long. No shot of a spot in the final and shouldn't even be running the line.

That's all pretty random except for one more thing: HOOPERMAN!

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
For the first time in a while there wasn't the mass exodus around 70-75mins. More than the usual number of people stayed, clapped, cheered & autograph hunted. With any luck this will carry over to next week.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
For those like me that headed out to the SFS and forgot to set record on their Foxtel box, the replay is on at 5.00pm EST.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I've never worked out why people pay to go to the match and then spend about a quarter of the game in beer queues:confused:

Yeah, for the first time ever I made the decision to forget about beers and just enjoy the rugby, plenty of drinking time after the game! Luckily though one of the guys I was with couldn't wait out so he took one for the team and went up 5 mins before halftime and returned 10mins in to the second half!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Beer up beforehand at a reputable establishment* and take a bottle of water into the game if you can. Then go beer afterwards. A mate of mine went to beer at 20:00 and didn't get back until 5 minutes into the second half. Fuck. That.

* If @waratahjesus is there, the odds are against you ;)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Congratulations Tahs - well done !!!!!!

Now to belt the Saders and win the elusive title.

Will be a great result for Aussie rugby.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

it wasn't too bad last night - the tests are far worse, presumably because people with less interest think a test is an occasion to be seen at.
I was thinking there was a marketing opening to sell seats in designated areas where you are not allowed to leave your seat during play - except under medical supervision.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think when the Brumbies properly review this season they'll realise what a mistake it was benching McCabe for Leali'ifano part way through the season. He never really found good form and his goal kicking was a constant struggle.

The missed McCabe's hole running in the midfield and great ability to break tackles.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
i wonder if the tahs fans near me that where on their feet cheering that he was injured are happy he's out of the wallabies

Interesting view from Clyde

Clyde Rathbone
20 mins ·

Back in my day rugby was much tougher, faster, more skillful and far more entertaining than the rubbish dished up by the current lot.

He's still playing so isn't his day, the current state of play?

Status
Not open for further replies.