• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Brumbies, SFS Saturday 26 July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Brumbies fortunes seem to be linked to Mogg's performance.

When he has a good game, the Ponies do well and vice versa.

Last night was not a good performance from J Mogg. Is he carrying an injury?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Brumbies fortunes seem to be linked to Mogg's performance.

When he has a good game, the Ponies do well and vice versa.

Last night was not a good performance from J Mogg. Is he carrying an injury?

may it be the other way around? only when the Brumbies dominate (in the correct sense of that word) does Mogg look good?

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
For all Cheika's talk about attacking rugby etc., its our defence that got us up last night. How good was that 25 min period where the brumbies couldn't crack us open in the 2nd half. then we get into their half twice and get points both time. Bad luck about the Speight injury though, took alot of their threat away, thats the downside of being one trick ponies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Was great to see Vickerman helping the Tahs in the warm-up, was this a recent thing or been happening all year?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Was great to see Vickerman helping the Tahs in the warm-up, was this a recent thing or been happening all year?

I hope its a recent thing. If he has been coaching the lineout all year, well, the results speak for themselves. On the other hand, if he is only just starting to do some work on this big problem, maybe we can expect some improvements.

Let us pray.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I hope its a recent thing. If he has been coaching the lineout all year, well, the results speak for themselves. On the other hand, if he is only just starting to do some work on this big problem, maybe we can expect some improvements.

Let us pray.

I'd be even happier if someone like Patrico Noriega was there as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Second round member sales (those of us without reserved seats) open tomorrow. I'll be picking up 4 tickets.

What is pricing like?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

Let us pray.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...-at-nsw-waratahs-training-20140218-32yh9.html

Vickerman has been "coaching" them all year.

I can't say I rated him as highly as others here do as a player or "lineout expert".

That said I hope that the results from the Tahs lineout is more to do with dual factors of the injury and loss of Dennis and the lack of focus on the set pieces by Chieka.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Chapman played the last 12 minutes, not sure that tells you to much about him being the answer. How many lineouts were there?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's just an observation. I don't think anyone is calling for a change of selections. It's encouraging to know that in his three games since returning, Chapman has made a strong impact both in general play and at the lineout.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I actually thought that the Tahs got quite a few more decisions go their way than the Brumbies, but Peyper had a quite a few howlers on both sides. There was almost no rule book at times - I swear I must be the only one who thought that Hooper's terrific tackle on Mogg actually should have been a penalty against Hooper for crawling over Mogg on the ground, which looked blatant to me. Then later Foley was penalised for holding on when Mogg was tackled and rolled back to his feet - should have been a penalty against Mogg. I also remember that early in the game Hooper was about 3 metres offside in front of Peyper, and interfered with the play, and Peyper let it go on. You could actually see the defensive lines offside on TV a lot - and that's rare to actually be able to clearly see that on TV. There's countless examples of what Peyper got wrong, it makes my head hurt.

That said, the Brumbies were never going to win it as the Tahs defence was just too good. The Tahs defence actually forced their first two tries, and repelled countless raids. Just incredible to watch, you sat there thinking that they would crack but they held on, and when the last 20 hit you knew the Tahs would start running in the points at some stage. Some of the last ditch tackling was sublime, the desperation they showed is just all attitude and says a lot to about the coaching and leadership.

Agree on Lealiifano and McCabe. I wouldn't even have Lilo in the Wallaby squad right now, he doesn't deserve it on form and his kicking is shocking. Send Lilo back to the NRC and try to let him play himself into some form. If Lilo was kicking like it was 2013 the result might've been more in the balance, but that's rugby.

That's the second game in a row that the other team has had oodles of possession in the Tahs' half and just not been able to rack up points.

Will be interesting next week to see if the Crusaders have the same issue.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Well la-di-da.

P.S. I'm a big fan of Cipri. According to the most recent text message they sent me, July is pork month!

And I must say "Pork month" was a very, very nice way to calm the pre game jitters

Slow roasted suckling pig, red cabbage salad, mustard fruits, pistachio and few glasses of Chianti was pretty bloody good

Gorgodze

Bob McCowan (2)
I think when the Brumbies properly review this season they'll realise what a mistake it was benching McCabe for Leali'ifano part way through the season. He never really found good form and his goal kicking was a constant struggle.

The missed McCabe's hole running in the midfield and great ability to break tackles.

I completely agree with this. If rugby was covered/scrutinsed as much as other major sports there would be enormous scrutiny over consistently leaving McCabe out for both Mogg and Lilo. McCabe was brilliant when he started earlier in the year and we've never replicated that punch in attack without him on. Further, Mogg's error was the ultimate game changer and about the most predictable thing you've ever seen. There is just no way McCabe ever makes that error. I particularly can't understand picking Mogg especially (or Lilo if you assume Mogg has to be in) when both Tomane and McCabe were seeminlgy 100% fit and available. I really think the coaching staff has a lot to answer for on that. In fact if it were up to me McCabe should have started at inside and Tomane on the wing with Coleman at fullback to get the most weapons (as well as stronger defenders) on the pitch. That said we did well over the year and on Saturday against a great Tahs team at home (especially considering we’re missing two brilliant forwards) and the Tahs at home in the GF to the Crusaders is the right result for oz rugby all round and a just and deserved reward for an epic reboot of a franshise by Cheika et al.

Status
Not open for further replies.