• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Highlanders, semi-final, Saturday 27 June

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Couldn't post during the game as I was getting a live feed and had it going through to the tv. Can't expect to win a semi final if you don't have a lineout.
The nobodies held their own against the much vaunted waratah pack. Could be a worry for Cheika.
Well done lads!

In response to the lineout comment though, yeah it wasn't great and although the entire pack are past and/or present Wallabies that aint going to be the Wallabies pack.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Or the two Force games, or the Stormers game.

I am very disappointed that the Tahs have not developed and improved on the fundamental flaws that were present in their game last year. Kicking from hand is woeful generally. We have two players in the backline that have played 15 for the Wallabies and they couldn't kick the skin off a rice custard, the incumbent Wallaby 10 that is inconsistent at best (and I'm being generous there). It doesn't take a brain surgeon (or a dick doctor :) ) to work out how to combat the Tahs. Kick for the corner and work on your lineout work - A LOT, and defend like they usually do.

In that case what do the Tahs do to get out of their half, or even attack? Not a hell of a lot if the Force x2, Brumbies x 1 and Stomers games show anything. So the Highlanders had the blueprint and they executed it well.

Its a worry: without, I hope, being too hard on him I cant see that when the shit hits the fan Foley has anything in his game that enables him to go to a plan B.
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) copped a very heavy knock early on and really did nothing - except email the Highlanders his itinerary when he was trying to call Betham back inside toward the end.
And has someone worked out that if you cant kick with both feet you're going to be in trouble when they pin you in whichever corner you dont like. And when everyone in the team can only kick with his right foot the left hand corner is a hard place to get out of - unless you kick to the open side or dont care about distance

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Pretty one sided game (true for both games actually). From a neutral perspective i think the penalty try was right (JacPot's tackle did stop the try) but the yellow card wrong. It may have been a high tackle but I really don't think it was malicious, did no damage and the guy was falling down anyway.

Edit: Your commentators are still better than Stuart Barnes and co that we have over here in England. Not sure why your crowd were booing the Highlanders so much. They didn't go there to just make up numbers!

I think they were booing Joubert. Just a guess! ;)

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
michael cheika in the pre game montage said we just focus on ourselves and the game we play... i think that's the root of their problem tonight.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
It is a scientifically-proven fact that even just ONE of Phil Kearns glistening sook tears contains enough life-sustaining nutrients and goodness to nourish the soul, lifeforce, mana, and nutsack fortitude of a New Zealand family of 4 for 800 years.

From the bottom of all New Zealanders hearts, thank you Philip.

Thank you for The Gift of Life.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I get all warm and fuzzy just looking at it KOB. Cheers. I was not at all confident till the second half.

The Clan are actually my favourite non-Aussie team so at least I'll feel half good about sporting your shirt into the final. Good luck guys!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
michael cheika in the pre game montage said we just focus on ourselves and the game we play. i think that's the root of their problem tonight.

Well, they didn't exactly play the game they usually play, or meant to play. Largely down to the better opposition. It has served them well past 2 seasons, but got exposed tonight when a few key players are off. Way off, too.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I get all warm and fuzzy just looking at it KOB. Cheers. I was not at all confident till the second half.

This is the part where you get to gloat, to wallow uncontrollably in your sea of contentment.... AND MAKE THE OTHER GUY SUFFER, AT LEAT ON AN EMOTIONAL LEVEL........

Blake

Ted Fahey (11)
I thought the 'Tah's played very poorly and were lucky not to be down by 17 at half time alone.

The penalty try / yellow was harsh, otherwise I saw no bias in the calls.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I have to wonder WTF did Folau do in AFL. He hasn't kicked a ball with any decent effect since he came back to Rugby. It is why even though he is one of the best runners with ball in hand from the back and perhaps the best Rugby player I have seen under the high ball, Ben Smith remains by far the better 15.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The good news is that all the potential AB's backs get to bust each other next week while ours get the week off.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
So can we put to bed the notion of starting Skelton and Palu in the same pack please? Lineout was abused.
And Dave Dennis.........not a test lock.
The much less fancied Highlanders pack just schooled a Tahs pack full of Wallabies. If nothing else this should give Cheika an indication of which way he needs to go with the Wallabies. The game also illustrated how important a decent kicking game is. The Tahs didn't have any kicking game.
Well done Highlanders. It was a well thought out game plan and implemented pretty much perfectly. Good luck next week.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
I have to wonder WTF did Folau do in AFL. He hasn't kicked a ball with any decent effect since he came back to Rugby. It is why even though he is one of the best runners with ball in hand from the back and perhaps the best Rugby player I have seen under the high ball, Ben Smith remains by far the better 15.

I follow the AFL as well, and it's fair to say: 3/5 of fuck all.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

It's because, at no level in Aus rugby has he been made to focus upon it at all. Shameful, because he can kick just fine, so the ability is there, not the level of practice to breed familiarity.
A gross oversight, as we have discussed many times previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.