• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Brumbies RD 14 Saturday 18th May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Yes, Steve Walsh can be pedantic. He should go with the flow more - for instance, he disallowed a try for the Brumbies in this match 2 years ago when AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) did more than just reach out with the ball after being tackled. This time, I'd like to see him let that go and award the try.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
Why should his performance with these sides two years ago count for anything?

Especially when both captains and many players have moved on.

Really don't want to emphasise these sort of things before the match, just like focusing on the possible negatives or start finding excuses.
However, if I recall well, couple of years back one might have though Walsh had issues with refereeing the Brumbies as a whole, rather than just the captain or some other player on the night.
Some referee's style makes them more likely to suit with their decisions the playing style of certain teams over other teams.
With all due respect, to suggest that a ref's poor performance may be influenced only by his relationship with a captain does not tell the whole story and is overly simplistic.

This said, it would be good to avoid starting arguing about what a ref may do on a Monday, if at all.
Hopefully it would be a great game of rugby, happy to talk about that from now on.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
The problem with Walsh is that he makes every game The Steve Walsh Show featuring a rugby game. The good referees you don't notice but the likes of Poite, Walsh, Barnes etc feel the need to take centre stage at every available opportunity, this turns the game into a stop start affair which ruins it for punters.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Walsh has been one of the better ref's this year.

There's a lot of people that would disagree with that opinion.........

Particularly in England and our friends over the ditch.........

Anyways, hopefully he'll play support act to the game and not the other way around.........

His tendency to lose control and create mega clusterfucks really spoils a game.........

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Seems the excuses are starting early for this match. Is it a reverse mock?

Pretty bizarre really, the Ponies will be clear favourites and deservedly so.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I find Walsh is overly pedantic early, in an attempt to show the players how he want's the game played, ie width of gate, offside line etc. It only gets bad if the teams don't learn on the run.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
It's no doubt just dumb luck, but the Brumbies have had a week off to freshen up before both NSW games this year. Most teams coming back from the bye this year seem to have gone pretty well, so I think this will be to the Brumbies advantage.

Foley appears to be suffering some fatigue - given the minutes he has played this is not surprising, but I am not sure I would have Barnes starting in this one either. I would start Mitchell so as to give us the most options on kick receipt as I expect the Brumbies to continue their aerial bombardment. For a team with a supposedly brilliant backline, they don't use it much.

I hope they appoint a top-flight ref for this game, the breakdown is going to be very willing and if someone like Jackson gets it the game will turn into another Reds-Brumbies nightmare. For the sake of a good spectacle, I hope the breakdown and the offside line in defence are well policed.

Oh please, PLEASE play Barnes at 10!!!!

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Tahs will win this. They have the momentum where the Brumbies taking the Saders loss into the bye not so good. This is an important game for the Brumbies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The problem with Walsh is that he makes every game The Steve Walsh Show featuring a rugby game. The good referees you don't notice but the likes of Poite, Walsh, Barnes etc feel the need to take centre stage at every available opportunity, this turns the game into a stop start affair which ruins it for punters.

Unfortunately he seems something of a narcissist and obviously feels that we've all come to watch him rather than the players. This IMO leads to many of his bewildering decisions - the game's flowing, he's been off centre stage for a while, so he injects himself into the match at regular intervals. I don't think he's got any better, I just think that the rest of them have been so mediocre that he looks better. I'd certainly take Walsh ahead of Jackson and the Argentinian bloke. Chris Pollock is the best around and I can tolerate Joubert.

Hopefully he has no impact on the match, which I'm certainly looking forward to. I am even making the trek to Homebush for a Waratahs match for the first time in 3 or 4 years.

You'd think the Brumbies would start hot favourites, which takes a bit of the pressure off the Waratahs and the one on one match ups will be intriguing.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
I've tipped the tahs but I don't feel very confident.
The bye V's a good tight win against the stormers.
Sydney home game.
This game will sort out some selection issues for Deans.
I can just imagine Bernie Larkham conjuring some smooth moves during the bye week, and him having the backs on song for the occasion

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
You'd think the Brumbies would start hot favourites.

not sure.
the brumbies come from a loss and average preformance at home.
the tahs from a rousing victory vs the stormers, with Folau an ispirational matchwinner.
and playing in Sydney.
The odds are much closer I'd say.

Status
Not open for further replies.