• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Cheetahs Super Rugby-R5 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
7:40pm kick-off at Allianz Stadium, Sydney on Friday night.

Questions abound.

Will the Waratahs recover from their humiliation in Canberra? Or will Michael Cheika quietly put down half the team?

Can the Cheetahs win for the third time in a row in Sydney? Or will the 1,314 non-Saffas in the crowd have something to cheer about?

Will Pretorious B.I.G. have his revenge? Will the Tahs manage to execute basic skills? Will TPN play? What's with Barnes's mo? Why are the Oportos burgers always cold?

My guess: Tahs scrape a win, Sarel has a shocker, and half the crowd leaves with 10 minutes to go. I'm very confident of at least one of those comes true.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I think we need Barnes at 10 for this one if he is fit. Izzy back to 15 and Turner should get a start, hopefully Paddy Ryan gets a go from the start as well. Too many poor performances to mention in the pack this week, changes are defiantly needed just not sure which ones.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah, Barnes is needed, although I am not sure where he will be played. My preference would be for him to be 15, with volavola back to the bench. Is Horne back this week? I would also like to see Lucas have some more time, but still off the bench.

What are people's thoughts on Schmoo? He looks to be along way away from his best form to me. I think it might be worth starting turner and Folau on the wings.

In the pigs, hooker is a big concern with TPN under a cloud (and not playing that well anyway). I think we have to stop seeing Dennis has a jack of all trades forward. We made that mistake with Mumm as well and I think it hurt his career in the end. Dennis should stay at 6 and use L Timani at 8 if Palu is out. Chapman and Douglas in the second row. I would also start Ryan with Kepu on the bench.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I really hope a few of the injured guys return this week, allowing for some much needed changes. Time to give the wider squad a crack over the next few weeks. Assuming Palu is injured.

15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (was pretty safe once upon a time)
14. Turner (played very well from the bench last time out)
13. Horne (if he is fit, this game is a good as any for his 'one in eight')
12. Barnes (can pass, run, tackle and kick)
11. Mitchell (was not a complete disaster against the ponies)
10. Foley (as Mitchell, and also young and talented)
9. Whoever has the 'least worst' pass
8. L Timani (here is your chance to stake a claim mate)
7. Hooper
6. Dennis (not captain)
5. Douglas
4. S Timani
3. Ryan
2. Ulugia
1. Robinson (wasn't all that great against the Brumbies, but does not demand immediate expulsion)

16. TPN (unless injured, in which case find a big experienced club man who can throw straight)
17. Kepu (give him one more chance before more serious 'rotation')​
18. Chapman (can be good and can cover lock and 6)​
19. McCutcheon (needs to come back strong)​
20. The next 'least worst' passer​
21. Volavola (too young and talented to be chucked)​
22. Kingston (always looks keen)

Folau can be rotated back in via the bench in future weeks. I want to see AJ Gilbert (and any other deserving club or squad players) given a run from the bench over the next few weeks. I don't accept that the Waratahs should be giving up on winning the competition (however remote a possibility that may be), but I do want the whole squad to be used to some extent, especially as many of them should be fighting for a contract (at the Waratahs or elsewhere) by the end of the season. Also, using the whole squad, and rewarding good performances, is the best way to win matches and build a strong team.

Reactions: BPC

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I think S Timinai should be used off the bench until he becomes a genuine line out option.

He's not going to. Or at least not before he heads to Montpellier. I think it's a) his weight/jumping ability, and b) poor hands. Two seasons ago he could barely catch a pass. Just don't think he's ever going to be a line out option.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The only changes I would be looking at, not caused by injury, are

Barnes to 12
Chapman to lock
Lopeti to 8

although I suspect that moving AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 12 (as happened when Carter was replaced) may happen again with

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) @ 12
Horne or Turner @13
Barnes @ 15

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I also think we can only start one of Folau and Volavola. They are both similar kinds of players and are too loose in defence (particularly Volavola).

Depending on fitness I'd like to see something like:

9 McKibbin/Lucas (McKibbin really needs to be put on notice)
10 Foley
11 Mitchell (he to is making too many errors, I'd like to see Betham get a crack somewhere when he is fit)
12 Barnes
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14 Turner
15 Folau/Volavola

It could be tempting to put Barnes at 15 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Horne at 12/13 but I feel that our attack will be pretty pedestrian with that arrangement.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Horne should have to earn back his starting spot, IMO.

Barnes at 12 would be good.

I would like to see McKibbin benched. He has been poor and was atrocious on Saturday.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I would prefer they field a weaker side this week if they have to.
It is more important that a standard is set,and any sub par performers are replaced.
You can't have players thinking they will be selected regardless of how they perform.Otherwise nothing will ever change.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Robinson
Ulugia
Ryan
Chapman
Douglas
Dennis
Hooper
Timani, L
Lucas
Foley
Mitchell
Barnes
Turner
Folau
Volavola

TPN
Kepu
Timani
McCutcheon
McKibben
Horne
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I really don't think we can start Folau and Volavola. It is just too loose.

They are both the same style of player too. They'll both be the guy trying to make the break rather than one of them setting up the other.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I'd probably go for a backline of:

Lucas
Barnes
Mitchell
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Horne
Turner
Folau

However I'd wager only one of Barnes and Horne will play.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Expect a cracker from Sarel who looks on good form. He has discovered his pass again which seemed to elude him here in Sydney.

The Cheetahs will be very confident after their easy win in NZ. The Tahs need to put more bodies into the collisions than that Highlanders did, who got hit back in contact for 80 minutes.

On attack, the Chiefs got their big runners over the advantage link which opened up space for their lethal backs. The Cheetahs defense can be a bit slow to get organised but if they have time they are hard to break down. The Chiefs sped up the game giving them no time to set their d in the second half.

This could be a cracker. The Cheetahs played negative rugby on their last outing in Sydney but I think they'll have a crack.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Expect a cracker from Sarel who looks on good form. He has discovered his pass again which seemed to elude him here in Sydney.

The Waratahs are still searching for a few of the passes McKibbin threw on Saturday night.

The search will soon be called off and a memorial service will be held.

Status
Not open for further replies.