• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Cheetahs Super Rugby-R5 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Volavola can read a game and can play on instict, Folau is still learning and doesn't have that instinct "yet". If I had to pick one Volavola on the wing.
@ 15 Barnes brings more at 15 than he contributes at 12.
@ 12 not carter, but hey our roster says only one inside centre.
@ 13 Horne first choice, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 2nd, or 3rd choice if there is another outside centre on the roster because AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) isn't bringing alot of variety at the moment.

However, I can see good change from previous years. What we need is stability as support lines are developed under game pressures.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Folau is still learning and doesn't have that instinct "yet".
Is he going to pick up the instinct sitting on the bench or out of the matchday squad completely? After making a significant investment in him, I don't think the Tahs will give up on him after 3 games. If they're going to start benching him now, they might as well admit they got the whole decision wrong because he will never improve with no game time.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Is he going to pick up the instinct sitting on the bench or out of the matchday squad completely? After making a significant investment in him, I don't think the Tahs will give up on him after 3 games. If they're going to start benching him now, they might as well admit they got the whole decision wrong because he will never improve with no game time.

Agree 110%, I do think in time Izzy will be a valuable acquisition. The method of achieving this is game time.
The only reason I chose Volavola is due to his instinct, and that he'll have a crack - Tummy C, and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) don't have creativity and I think that's impacting our 11 and 14.
Can Volavola do a Lilo and play 10 and 12 - if so 12?
I like Barnes's vision but if he is off chasing the Yen, and Chieka has a 2 - 3 year plan why not stick with Izzy but on the wing, and Volavola at 15 purely due to rugby experience.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Agree 110%, I do think in time Izzy will be a valuable acquisition. The method of achieving this is game time.
The only reason I chose Volavola is due to his instinct, and that he'll have a crack - Tummy C, and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) don't have creativity and I think that's impacting our 11 and 14.
Can Volavola do a Lilo and play 10 and 12 - if so 12?
I like Barnes's vision but if he is off chasing the Yen, and Chieka has a 2 - 3 year plan why not stick with Izzy but on the wing, and Volavola at 15 purely due to rugby experience.
Yeah it's a bit of a predicament and I definitely don't claim to have the answer. At this stage i would be going with Izzy and perhaps using Volavola as a final 25-30 minute impact player. That's just my opinion though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah it's a bit of a predicament and I definitely don't claim to have the answer. At this stage i would be going with Izzy and perhaps using Volavola as a final 25-30 minute impact player. That's just my opinion though.

That is also my opinion.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Drew Mitchell just seems to be off the pace this season. Understandable given the injuries but it must be just about time to move on.

I think Lucas showed when he came on against the Brumbies that he would be a massive improvement over McKibbon.

P

Paradox

Assuming no injuries.

15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Folau
13. Turner
12. Barnes
11. Mitchell
10. Foley
9. Lucas
8. Palu
7. Hooper
6. Dennis
5. Douglas
4. S Timani
3. Palu
2. TPN
1. Robinson

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Drew Mitchell just seems to be off the pace this season. Understandable given the injuries but it must be just about time to move on.

I think Lucas showed when he came on against the Brumbies that he would be a massive improvement over McKibbon.
Seems a bit harsh on Drew, it's hardly like he has been on the end of multiple backline moves. It's also hard for him to have a crack in counter as no prick will get in behind him.
Think you are spot on with Lucas, there just seems to be a spark when they changeover the 9's.

Bessa

Ted Fahey (11)
Think you are spot on with Lucas, there just seems to be a spark when they changeover the 9's.

Is that the player or the time of the game they are injected?
When you look at Vol-au-vent over the first few rounds he has made a real impact coming in to the game during the last 25 mins or so.
Last week, while still being handy, didn;t have the same impact.

I think Chieka uses his bench well, which is something another coach should take notcie of (Not naming names, but you know who you are, Mr. D)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Has Mitchell beat a defender on a kick return yet?

That is the issue with the guy, at his best he is/was highly likely to beat that first defender or at least get through him.

At the moment his value add is to kick long

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Has Mitchell beat a defender on a kick return yet?

That is the issue with the guy, at his best he is/was highly likely to beat that first defender or at least get through him.

At the moment his value add is to kick long

He's also turning the ball over far too much. The one moment the Tahs looked threatening on Saturday, Mitchell got to about 5-10m out from the try line and then lost the ball. If we'd controlled the ball then, we would have had our best opportunity to score.

I still like Mitchell and can see improvement in him the more he plays, but I highly doubt he will get anywhere close to where he was in 2010.

I would love to see Betham get a run soon (is he fit again yet?). He's 24 and showed massive improvement in the ITM Cup last year. I would prefer to see opportunity given to someone on the way up rather than someone on the way down.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I would love to see Betham get a run soon (is he fit again yet?). He's 24 and showed massive improvement in the ITM Cup last year. I would prefer to see opportunity given to someone on the way up rather than someone on the way down.

Nail on the head BH, I find it hard to believe that Betham isn't even getting on the bench (if he is fully fit), his form in the ITM Cup was more recent than any form shown by Mitchell, Turner, Kingston and Folau.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Nail on the head BH, I find it hard to believe that Betham isn't even getting on the bench (if he is fully fit), his form in the ITM Cup was more recent than any form shown by Mitchell, Turner, Kingston and Folau.

He has had an ankle injury. I'm not sure if he's over it yet, but I would have thought so.

Status
Not open for further replies.