• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Cheetahs Super Rugby-R5 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
He's also turning the ball over far too much. The one moment the Tahs looked threatening on Saturday, Mitchell got to about 5-10m out from the try line and then lost the ball. If we'd controlled the ball then, we would have had our best opportunity to score.

I still like Mitchell and can see improvement in him the more he plays, but I highly doubt he will get anywhere close to where he was in 2010.

I would love to see Betham get a run soon (is he fit again yet?). He's 24 and showed massive improvement in the ITM Cup last year. I would prefer to see opportunity given to someone on the way up rather than someone on the way down.

It would be a different story if Mitchell had lost his explosiveness but was a steady, no-mistakes figure at the back. Then he could be forgiven a fair bit while he tries to regain that athletic capacity. Right now, it's getting harder to justify his place.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Usually the disaster note is to hear that someone has done his ACL. But running a close second is that kiss-of-death "ankle injury". When someone gets this affliction the word is immediately out that they'll only miss a week. As soon as I hear that I put down six weeks out and I am always closer to the mark. Horwill, Palu and Betham are the first to spring to mind this year, though I am sure at least one of the Rebels is afflicted, but can anyone log someone who had an ankle injury and only missed one week?

Bessa

Ted Fahey (11)
Usually the disaster note is to hear that someone has done his ACL. But running a close second is that kiss-of-death "ankle injury". When someone gets this affliction the word is immediately out that they'll only miss a week. As soon as I hear that I put down six weeks out and I am always closer to the mark. Horwill, Palu and Betham are the first to spring to mind this year, though I am sure at least one of the Rebels is afflicted, but can anyone log someone who had an ankle injury and only missed one week?
Syndismosis?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He's also turning the ball over far too much. The one moment the Tahs looked threatening on Saturday, Mitchell got to about 5-10m out from the try line and then lost the ball. If we'd controlled the ball then, we would have had our best opportunity to score.

I still like Mitchell and can see improvement in him the more he plays, but I highly doubt he will get anywhere close to where he was in 2010.

I would love to see Betham get a run soon (is he fit again yet?). He's 24 and showed massive improvement in the ITM Cup last year. I would prefer to see opportunity given to someone on the way up rather than someone on the way down.

It looks like you're about to get your wish........

From the Oz:

He (Mitchell) ran with the reserves at Waratahs training at Moore Park yesterday. Wallabies winger Lachie Turner and Peter Betham ran on the wings and Israel Folau was at fullback in what appeared to be the starting line-up.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...itchell-on-outer/story-e6frg7o6-1226595912270

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I know Cheika said he wanted some continuity in the half backs but anyone but McKibben at 9. Barnes and Foley will still be waiting on some of his passes on Saturday morning!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I know Cheika said he wanted some continuity in the half backs but anyone but McKibben at 9. Barnes and Foley will still be waiting on some of his passes on Saturday morning!

I think that is a chicken and egg situation

McKibben is a conduit, he can't make the forwards present better, quicker ball (he can whinge loudly but ....) and he can't just chuck it unless attackers realign much faster and give options.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
That's a more balanced side in the backs, I think. Mitchell has made too many mistakes and a demotion would be appropriate. Volavola is probably better off the bench at this stage, and Barnes will be very, very welcome at 12. TC is a great club man and in years past he has been a true workhorse, particularly in defense. But he's not the best fit for the new game plan, especially playing next to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
3 tries is considered good defence these days?

I didn't watch the whole game, but the bits that I saw, mostly the first half, the Cheetahs defense looked bloody good. Good enough to win 36-19. So they leaked a couple of tries when the game was won, the first game of their tour. So what?

How would you describe their defensive effort, just as a matter of interest?

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Can't wait to see Betham. He was enormous in the ITM Cup - big, fast and could actually score tries. Thought he might have been an outside shot at the Wallabies squad. Great to see him get his shot.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Tahs Side confirmed:

1. Benn Robinson (Eastwood)
2. John Ulugia (Eastern Suburbs)
3. Paddy Ryan (Sydney University)
4. Sitaleki Timani (Southern Districts)
5. Kane Douglas (Southern Districts)
6. Dave Dennis (Sydney University, captain)
7. Michael Hooper (Manly)
8. Pat McCutcheon (Sydney University)
9. Brendan McKibbin (Eastern Suburbs)
10. Bernard Foley (Sydney University)
11. Peter Betham (Sydney University)
12. Berrick Barnes (Sydney University)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Northern Suburbs)
14. Lachie Turner (Eastwood)
15. Israel Folau (Sydney University)
Replacements
16. Luke Holmes (Warringah)
17. Jeremy Tilse (Sydney University)
18. Mitchell Chapman (Eastern Suburbs)
19. Lopeti Timani (Southern Districts)
20. Matt Lucas (Manly)
21. Ben Volavola (Southern Districts)
22. Rob Horne (Southern Districts)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Watched all of it, Cheetahs played very well however it was all Highlanders in the 2nd half and they would've put on more than 19 if not behind by 20.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So Kepu, Mitchell and Carter dropped altogether.

Also... John Ulugia plays for Eastern Suburbs now after being Southern's captain last year. Is that a mistake?

Good to see Mitch Chapman listed for Easts after being not aligned with a club in previous team sheets.

Status
Not open for further replies.