• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Cheetahs Super Rugby-R5 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I'll be there, was planning on taking it easy on the beer this week but have a feeling I'll need a few before/during/after this one!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The way the Cheetahs defended against the Landers, the Tahs will have to rely on drop goals. If they can get into the Cheetahs half, that is. A big if.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Any ideas on the crowd for this game?
Looks like the weather is going to be favourable, and I am hoping for a quick open game.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm more in the position of wanting to drop people rather than making returning players earn their spots back.

Making decisions in anger rarely achieves the optimum result. While Cheika often gets angry, I sense he won't choose his team based on that. He'll be weighing up where he wants to go and who will get him there. But that's the joy of being a fan. You can have a major disappointment, get mad as hell and drop all the people you are mad at on the forum.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Making decisions in anger rarely achieves the optimum result. While Cheika often gets angry, I sense he won't choose his team based on that. He'll be weighing up where he wants to go and who will get him there. But that's the joy of being a fan. You can have a major disappointment, get mad as hell and drop all the people you are mad at on the forum.

I wouldn't say any of it is really in anger.

I don't think Tom Carter should be in the starting 15 this Friday and if Barnes isn't ready to move back in to 12, I'd move AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) there and play Horne at 13. Whilst it would be good for Horne to have to earn back his starting spot, we possibly don't have that luxury.

I also don't think Volavola and Folau should both be starting. When he's fit, I'd really like to see Betham get a run somewhere (probably off the bench initially).

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I'd be putting Volavola back to the bench and keeping Folau in the starting XV, if it's a choice between them. Volavola's a young, inexperienced bloke who, I reckon, will struggle with the demands of a full Super Rugby season if he's in the starting line-up all season. Folau's been hardened by several long NRL seasons, and needs all the minutes he can get.

Sidbarret

Fred Wood (13)
Expect a cracker from Sarel who looks on good form. He has discovered his pass again which seemed to elude him here in Sydney.

The Cheetahs will be very confident after their easy win in NZ. The Tahs need to put more bodies into the collisions than that Highlanders did, who got hit back in contact for 80 minutes.

On attack, the Chiefs got their big runners over the advantage link which opened up space for their lethal backs. The Cheetahs defense can be a bit slow to get organised but if they have time they are hard to break down. The Chiefs sped up the game giving them no time to set their d in the second half.

This could be a cracker. The Cheetahs played negative rugby on their last outing in Sydney but I think they'll have a crack.

Interesting that you would say that, I thought he was piss poor except for his two tries and his pass in particular has stunted the Cheetahs ability to build constructive attacking plays. Given the generosity of the tahs this season he might go well this weekend, but I don't think he's shown any improvement over last two years. Personally I would start with Piet van Zyl if I was in charge of the Cheetahs.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

I don't think Tom Carter should be in the starting 15 this Friday and if Barnes isn't ready to move back in to 12, I'd move AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) there and play Horne at 13. Whilst it would be good for Horne to have to earn back his starting spot, we possibly don't have that luxury.

I also don't think Volavola and Folau should both be starting. When he's fit, I'd really like to see Betham get a run somewhere (probably off the bench initially).
What does AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) do at 12 that TC doesn't?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

pretty hard to earn back a starting spot when there aren't any other games going on

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I like Langthorne's team, perhaps the only change for mine would be TPN starting ahead of Ulugia (assuming he's fit), and I would start Lucas at 9. Also Kingston for Horne if Horne isn't fit. I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) gives us something solid at 15, good under the high ball, will run it back hard and defends well, but isn't offering any creativity at 13.

I would have both Folau and Volavola coming off the bench. These guys are impact players, and fresh against tiring legs could create something, however at this stage neither is reliable enough to start. I would also be giving Hart a run of the bench.

I understand Cheika was pretty ferocious after the match, and good thing too. I, like other posters, don't expect miracles overnight and was moderately encouraged by the first two outings, but Saturday night was a big step backwards. It was a team that, once it conceded a couple of points, no longer believed it could win, and was just waiting for the inevitable to happen.

If Dennis isn't the man to lift these guys on the paddock, he needs to be replaced by someone who is.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I like Langthorne's team, perhaps the only change for mine would be TPN starting ahead of Ulugia (assuming he's fit), and I would start Lucas at 9. Also Kingston for Horne if Horne isn't fit. I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) gives us something solid at 15, good under the high ball, will run it back hard and defends well, but isn't offering any creativity at 13.

This is groundhog day - 2012 revisited - deja vu all over again.
But I'm not saying you're wrong!

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
No argument there IS, I just hope you (we) are wrong!
What Langthorne's team does do is give us a backline with a bit of variation, I thought Turner looked full of running when he came on (and remember he and Mitchell both missed a fair bit of last season) and there were times on Saturday when just having someone secure at 15 would be a good thing.

The nuts and bolts though are what's going on inside their heads, and we need to find enough players with the right attitude to lift the others and take them along for the ride. I'm not close enough to the team to know who these are, but I don't think we saw too many of them on Saturday night. The thing about Dennis, who I have plenty of respect for, is that after the game he didn't seem angry, just sad.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Expect a cracker from Sarel who looks on good form. He has discovered his pass again which seemed to elude him here in Sydney.

The Cheetahs will be very confident after their easy win in NZ. The Tahs need to put more bodies into the collisions than that Highlanders did, who got hit back in contact for 80 minutes.

On attack, the Chiefs got their big runners over the advantage link which opened up space for their lethal backs. The Cheetahs defense can be a bit slow to get organised but if they have time they are hard to break down. The Chiefs sped up the game giving them no time to set their d in the second half.

This could be a cracker. The Cheetahs played negative rugby on their last outing in Sydney but I think they'll have a crack.
Bit of a big ask for the Tahs to play like the Chiefs? Dunno, the Tin Ears are way to up and down BUT they have Brussouw back who make a big differense for them. Still have to think about this one. Goosen will play a massive role in this match.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I really don't think we can start Folau and Volavola. It is just too loose.

They are both the same style of player too. They'll both be the guy trying to make the break rather than one of them setting up the other.

See what you're saying but they were not the reason for the loss on Saturday. Players need to be put on notice and that team gets rid of the blokes that have been passengers so far. They have played 1 good half verse the Rebels and only 20 mins verse the Reds. Not sure that this season can be looked at in isolation anymore as it seems to be just a continuation of last seasons effort, especially from the piggies. The new things being tried are not all that effective either, as boring as it sounds the Reds and now Brumbies have been great while playing field positon. If Volavola has a good boot it'd be nice to see him persisted with.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
No argument there IS, I just hope you (we) are wrong!
What Langthorne's team does do is give us a backline with a bit of variation, I thought Turner looked full of running when he came on (and remember he and Mitchell both missed a fair bit of last season) and there were times on Saturday when just having someone secure at 15 would be a good thing.

The nuts and bolts though are what's going on inside their heads, and we need to find enough players with the right attitude to lift the others and take them along for the ride. I'm not close enough to the team to know who these are, but I don't think we saw too many of them on Saturday night. The thing about Dennis, who I have plenty of respect for, is that after the game he didn't seem angry, just sad.
agree re turner.
have always been a big fan of Mitchell but i think he's past it cos of injuries

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Bit of a big ask for the Tahs to play like the Chiefs? Dunno, the Tin Ears are way to up and down BUT they have Brussouw back who make a big differense for them. Still have to think about this one. Goosen will play a massive role in this match.

The Tahs forwards can do what the Chiefs forwards did. They will make it harder for the Cheetahs than the Highlanders did.

Tell you what Labuschagne played like a machine. Big engine. He and Brussow together will cause people lots and lots of trouble.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The Tahs forwards can do what the Chiefs forwards did. They will make it harder for the Cheetahs than the Highlanders did.

Tell you what Labuschagne played like a machine. Big engine. He and Brussow together will cause people lots and lots of trouble.
My biggest worry after the first two matches was the Cheetah defense. We know the Cheetahs when they are on song they can beat any team and their gameplan is perfect for the Tahs. Goosen and the backs will probably try and run everything.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Get Barnes back. Say what you want about him but he will 100% play his coaches instructions. 12 has to be the spot for him. Foley has done a fair job at 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.