• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Cheetahs Super Rugby-R5 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
That being said, the Saders were a little ordinary in the early games.

Unfortunately for the Bulls, things clicked for them last weekend.

If they can continue to play that way, then Saders vs Chiefs, Chiefs vs Ponies, and Poines vs Saders will be memorable games.

Slow start, yes, but the structure and culture at the Saders always kicks in eventually. Even when they play badly, it's usually making a lot of errors or not timing things rather than them just plain sucking.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Tahs, Reds, Force, Melb really need to step it up a gear....not playing good rugby at all

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Slow start, yes, but the structure and culture at the Saders always kicks in eventually. Even when they play badly, it's usually making a lot of errors or not timing things rather than them just plain sucking.

and that is the difference, the Crusaders were pretty bad early, but stuck with their system and the training imprinted into the team came through.

the Tahs don't trust their system completely yet and don't have it in the teams DNA - it will take time as expectations are raised

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Speaking of jumping, I was impressed by the Cheetahs prop who lifted his lock to take the ball only for the lock to fall backwards. The prop had the strenght to pull the lock back upright and bring him down. That lock owes that prop many a beer.

And a couple of beers to the tah players who waited till he was down safe before making the tackle. He was in the air for an age and I was sure someone would get impatient, but all credit to them.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
and that is the difference, the Crusaders were pretty bad early, but stuck with their system and the training imprinted into the team came through.

the Tahs don't trust their system completely yet and don't have it in the teams DNA - it will take time as expectations are raised
That requires turnover in the playing roster.
The Saders recruited guys that were suited to their style/system.
I'm sure that's what Cheika will be doing in the course of his contract.
It will be interesting to see if Foley picks up any discards.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
If Cheika gets his way and there is a big clean out at the end of the season, next year might be grim as well but hopefully it will pay off after that.

I don't have a settled opinion yet on Michael Cheika's abilities as a coach; although I wrote on these pages prior to his appointment that some people were getting a little carried away with his Northern Hemisphere coaching record.

However, are 'Tahs long-suffering supporters really so dispirited that they are willing to give him until season 2015 to start producing positive results?

I was about to write that surely that was not the basis on which he was appointed, but then recalled that we are talking about a decision by the mental giants of Driver Avenue.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
I have only seen the highlights of the game so I could be barking up the wrong tree.
The cheetahs scored 2 tries off chip kicks. I would have thought that these holes should have been plugged by sweepers or by the back three.
Can these lapses be attributed to Falaou at 15 ?
Given that they got 14 "cheap" points from this tactic was the result that hapless?

I know, I'm trying the old..... We didn't lose, they just happened to score more points than us trick.
Is this the beginning of the end of season 2013 when we start making these qualifications?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I have only seen the highlights of the game so I could be barking up the wrong tree.
The cheetahs scored 2 tries off chip kicks. I would have thought that these holes should have been plugged by sweepers or by the back three.
Can these lapses be attributed to Falaou at 15 ?
Given that they got 14 "cheap" points from this tactic was the result that hapless?

I know, I'm trying the old... We didn't lose, they just happened to score more points than us trick.
Is this the beginning of the end of season 2013 when we start making these qualifications?

No. These were McKibbin's fault. It is the halfback's job to sweep for these kicks. The fullback shouldn't be shallow enough to field these.

I haven't watched the replay yet but certainly on the first try in the second minute of the game, McKibbin was close to being where he should be but just didn't make the ground.

His failure to do this key part of his job is the biggest reason that Lucas has to start this week in my opinion. The fact that his passing has been atrocious is also a pretty compelling argument.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
How can anyone be out of position on the kick off?
They can't be fatigued and not have the legs to get there. They can't have lost concentration yet,can they?
Maybe there is an easy explanation that someone can give me?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
TV probably wouldn't cop Saturday afternoons.....Friday nights basically takes 10,000 from the crowd.

Foxtel/SuperSport/whomever in NZ MUST have Friday night rugby according to their SANZAR contract, and commonsense dictates they should have a game on during all of their peak viewing times over the weekend. So who's going to host the Friday evening fixtures? A quick squiz of the Oz/NZ venues comes up with those close to the centre of the host cities. Unfortunately for us Sydney's a bastard of a place to get around (we really do pay a price for that fancy bit of water smack bang in the middle) and there's not good public transport to the Moore Park area. Even the city with the best venue and access for Friday night games would be justified in squealing if they got a proportionally large number of Friday fixtures.

So, what to do? It'd be nice if the Tahs brains-trust came up with some imaginative solutions to get us there and promotions to make punters want to go on Friday nights. Spose I'm asking for too much on that count.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
How can anyone be out of position on the kick off?
They can't be fatigued and not have the legs to get there. They can't have lost concentration yet,can they?
Maybe there is an easy explanation that someone can give me?

My guess is not enough speed / was outflanked.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lindommer, It could be worse.

Can you imagine a Friday night game at Homebush?

Even with 30000 punters it still looks empty, and it is a bastard to get home from, with no genuine options for the punters to "melt away" from while they enjoy a sherbet or two and debrief/relive the game.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
McKibbon should have also been present to stop the third try, but wasn't quick enough off the mark behind the ruck. As a result he was easily swatted away.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
So, what to do? It'd be nice if the Tahs brains-trust came up with some imaginative solutions to get us there and promotions to make punters want to go on Friday nights. Spose I'm asking for too much on that count.

They had a big promo for ladies on Friday night from memory. They do quite a bit on the promo front, it just doesn't have much cut through.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
McKibbon should have also been present to stop the third try, but wasn't quick enough off the mark behind the ruck. As a result he was easily swatted away.

We should have gone with the team listing that the Daily Terror put up and played Hooper at 9.

It would have probably gone much better. We would have struggled at the breakdown but I'm sure Hooper would have been in position to stop all three tries and provided better passing to Foley.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Lindommer, It could be worse.

Can you imagine a Friday night game at Homebush?

Even with 30000 punters it still looks empty, and it is a bastard to get home from, with no genuine options for the punters to "melt away" from while they enjoy a sherbet or two and debrief/relive the game.
But on the positive side, HJ, they could get an income boost by auctioning off the binoculars sales franchise. You need them even to see the so-called "giant screens" let alone the game itself.

B

BellyTwoBlues

One minute into the game after winning a turnover, they kick it away to an unmarked fullback with NO chase on the kick who then runs 40m gives it to the outside support player and they score.

There is no clearer evidence than this that absolutely NOTHING has changed.
I will continue to kick them, until they begin to show support for rugby in Sydney's west.

Status
Not open for further replies.