• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Cheetahs Super Rugby-R5 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby Is My Life

Herbert Moran (7)
Foley cannot coach and what he did by bailing on the Tahs after repeatedly saying he was committed long term (whilst signing up every player he could, knowing all along he was going) is a joke. You've only got to look at the Force and how they play to see his fingerprints. They should have beaten the Rebels and their performance against the new boys in the Kings was embarrassing.

Cheika inherited a squad with a fragile mindset. There are several guys who clearly demonstrate on a weekly basis, their inability to play Super rugby. It's also fair to say several high profile players who think their sh#%$t doesn't stink, don't want to embrace the change of style Cheika demands or can't. If this is the case, they'll be gone next year.

I was there last night and have been a Tahs supported for years - it was painful to watch. The women's 7's rugby game at halftime was more entertaining. Last night was unacceptable but there were guys who had a crack - Hooper, Ryan, Foley, Betham, Folau, etc. I've always like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) but he's done nothing all season yet is a guaranteed selection for Deans Lions squad - why?

Here's hoping the small number of remaining fans, stick solid because in patches last night, the team showed the way they want to play and it was exciting. Remember - the Reds were terrible for years, played some great rugby but lost and then turned it all around the following year to win the comp. One can only hope.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Publicity wise he's just filled in newspaper space that would've already been used to talk about rugby, and his profile has hardly grown the game anywhere....

Outside of NSW people are still saying "Israel who?"

So who are the Wallabies going to drop to make way for this supposed potential?

Lets wait and see if he's still playing rugby by the end of the year....

Are we talking about Israel Folau, the chap signed by the AFL for a million a season?

The Israel Folau who starred in the NRL, played State of Origin, and represented Australia?

I assume you are talking about another Israel Folau, because the one playing for the Tahs is probably the best known rugby player in the country right now, especially amongst the wider sporting population who do not normally spare a millisecond a week to think about our game. Folau's signining might actually encourage some of them to tune in and watch a game or two.

As for the question of whether or not the headlines that his signing have generated would have been filled with other positive stories about rugby, I would suggest that you just do not know.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Lots of bitching about the Tahs on this thread. Just one question to Tah fans having a bitch? (not by a long shot is it even the majority of them) Who of you actually went to the game last night to support your boys? That crowd was depressing for the Tahs and it was depressing for Australian Rugby. They mind of well played the game in a grave yard.

I was there. While it sucked badly to lose yet again to the Cheetahs at home, I thought there were enterprising passages which showed what this team could become. But the errors made were often catastrophic -- no sweeper on the kick that led to the first-minute try, for instance. Frustrating to watch, but not as depressing as last week, to be honest.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Are we talking about Israel Folau, the chap signed by the AFL for a million a season?

The Israel Folau who starred in the NRL, played State of Origin, and represented Australia?

I assume you are talking about another Israel Folau, because the one playing for the Tahs is probably the best known rugby player in the country right now, especially amongst the wider sporting population who do not normally spare a millisecond a week to think about our game. Folau's signining might actually encourage some of them to tune in and watch a game or two.

As for the question of whether or not the headlines that his signing have generated would have been filled with other positive stories about rugby, I would suggest that you just do not know.

I think this is what some people would like to believe in justifying his grotesque salary.........

In Victoria JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale have a much a larger profile simply by hanging out with Buddy Franklin.......

AFL fans forgot about Izzy a long time ago and most of them couldn't tell you which code of rugby he plays......

I think the only buzz he created (during the preseason) was only generated in the two main rugby playing states.........

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Lots of bitching about the Tahs on this thread. Just one question to Tah fans having a bitch? (not by a long shot is it even the majority of them) Who of you actually went to the game last night to support your boys? That crowd was depressing for the Tahs and it was depressing for Australian Rugby. They mind of well played the game in a grave yard.

It looked like the Tahs really had a crack at improvement under their new system and apart from the loss it looked to have many positives. The Tahs are nowhere near as fickle as their so called fan base. As Ghandi said "Be the change you want to see", so get off your arses and go and support the boys.

Compare them to the Force fans who come in droves consistantly despite the lack of on field success to support their team with a shitload of heart. Not a big Force fan personally but their fans certainly have my respect

Well, I have Uni and don't get back until 6:30 so getting into the city from Camden in time for the game is often a stretch.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Publicity wise he's just filled in newspaper space that would've already been used to talk about rugby, and his profile has hardly grown the game anywhere....

Outside of NSW people are still saying "Israel who?"
not true.
he has a very large following down in victoria due to his time at the storm and his footy. i would venture to say ditto in qld.
he is definitely a draw card down here.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I was there. While it sucked badly to lose yet again to the Cheetahs at home, I thought there were enterprising passages which showed what this team could become. But the errors made were often catastrophic -- no sweeper on the kick that led to the first-minute try, for instance. Frustrating to watch, but not as depressing as last week, to be honest.

Cheika has a tough job. Trying to find the blokes to play to his vision and trying to establish combinations. I think this is why the skills have been below par.

I thought these blokes looked to play for coach last night. If they can build off what they learnt last night player wise I think the skills will improve as the team settles.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Cheika has a tough job. Trying to find the blokes to play to his vision and trying to establish combinations. I think this is why the skills have been below par.

I thought these blokes looked to play for coach last night. If they can build off what they learnt last night player wise I think the skills will improve as the team settles.

I am absolutely fine with senior players being stood down if they don't perform. The blokes that work hard and play to the plan should get the minutes. It's not like last year earned anybody the right to a spot. We're going to see some serious turn over in 2014 anyway. Might as well get the guys who'll be sticking around some experience in the system. I thought we might challenge for a wild card spot in the finals but that looks very unlikely now. That means this year is about next year and the one after, about changing the culture and building a team that plays hard and entertains.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
I liked watching Cheika as a player - his take no prisoners approach during his time at Randwick was always entertaining and he should have earned higher rep honours. Regrettably he's yet to instill this same attitude in the Tah's forwards and I don't know that he's got the raw material to do it anyway. Mongrel is not a crown that sits easily on the most of the forwards heads - from last night's game Ryan, Hooper and Douglas wore it and Ulugia was next best. As for the others Timani doesn't understand the meaning of work rate, Robbo was OK but by no means as impressive as last week and consistency of performance is an issue, McCutcheon was a major disappointment at 8 and got smashed every time he carried the ball whilst Dennis, as good a player as he can be, is struggling as captain and is not leading by example in defence, attack and general follow me attitude.

Cheika has been quoted as saying that teams must firstly dominate in the forwards to earn the opportunity to go wide - got to say that I didn't see that last night other than for a short period of the second half when the forwards played a tighter and quicker game with repetitive pick and drives and short pass interchanges whilst all the time going forward. My pet hate with the way the Tahs play is the long flat pass from a ruck to a near stationary wide forward who ultimately gets absolutely smashed before getting anywhere near let alone over the advantage line. Ryan, Douglas and Hooper are the only forwards who understand the need to time your run in these circumstances and to run a reasonable line when doing so - they also have something that the other forwards lack - good footwork in tight.

As for the backs McKibben has suffered from not having a dominating pack in front of him and just shit lineout ball - but that said how hard is it to pass the ball in front of your 10 and other runners. I've been shouted down before but Folau should have 13 on his back. You can't play a non kicker at 15 and his propensity to break the line or stand in the tackle and offload is just wasted on the wing. Betham showed plenty of promise and will be better for his first start for the year. Jury's out for me on AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Turner - I'd have Mitchell ahead of both of them as he reads the game so well, cleans up heaps, makes few errors and can kick with both feet. Not sure that Foley might be better suited at 15 - but who to play at 10 with Barnes continuing run of injuries? Probably the biggest issue backs wise is that we don't have any real match winners - there's no Beale, Mogg, Cooper, O'Connor, Tapuai or Lealiifano - yes they're not all perfect but they more than often deliver - who's our go to back?

Bottom line - not enough mongrel forwards and no match winner in the backs will consign the Tahs to another poor season. I expect Cheika will be undertaking a big cleanout come season's end.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)

I was part of the 12,000+, was there for the Rebels game and plan to be there for the remaining home games. Can’t truly appreciate the good times without experiencing the crap ones. It is a bit rich for Tahs fans (or any other team’s fans) who don't go to games to hurl brickbats about the crowd numbers. I recall a former Wallaby at the infamous 2011 fan forum, who said he hadn't watched or been to a Tahs game in years, get stuck into the team. Not sure why he bothered to turn up. People like that should just move along.

I reckon you're spot on regarding a sizable proportion of the criticism isn't even coming from Tahs fans. From the time I have been on GAGR, I perceive most of it comes from a few usual suspects who may not even go to games.

As for playing in a grave yard, it would guarantee a certain number in the crowd.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
Who of you actually went to the game last night to support your boys?

I was there & will continue to be there.
I agree with you that there are some really fair weather fans.
Yes this week was an improvement on their last performance & it was a great atmosphere.
The roar that came when the cheetah stepped the line twice was fantastic, you would've thought there was double the numbers.

I hope to see more of you Tahs Fans there, the boys need you. They need YOUR support.

Status
Not open for further replies.