• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Cheetahs Super Rugby-R5 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Moono75

I'd give my house for Cheika over Foley. The reason we sit in this quagmire sits firmly with M Foley. Although he has learnt and will help the Force he is persona non grata over here.
You don't think it is has anything to do with the NSW hieracrchy? Foley was just working within the system he was given.

The Force know all about managerial failure. The place has been turned upside down.....management....coaching...and palyers. Cheika should have done the same and trusted his judgment on who was worth keeping and who should have been moved on.

M

Moono75

So true, even intuiting all the failed predictive text. I guess.

Meh.

We've already penciled in you blokes as an "at least it can't get this bad" win. Happy to eat it if I'm proven wrong.
After tonights game I'm worried about our first home game against the Cheetahs! New grandstands, new lights, massive new big screen scoreboards......really need to beat the Reds.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Qwerty - who should be let go? Or who should be retained?

Let go

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Barnes, Carter, Hart, McKibbin, Mitchell, Palu, Holmes, Chapman, Ulugia, S Timani, Tilse, Kepu

Keep

Betham, Douglas, Fitzpatrick (last chance), Foley, Horne, Kingston, Volavola, Lucas, Folau, L Timani, Turner, TPN, Robinson

Haven't seen enough

Atkins, Peterson, Holloway

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
t's slowly coming together for the Tahs. Watch out when they actually put in an 80 minute performance. Another stern test next Sunday against the rejuvenated Blues.

The AR on the western side during the second half should be dropped and never to return. How he didn't pick up a Cheetahs player's entire foot was in touch was beyond me.

Small crowd, but the atmosphere is getting better. Hope it's a big crowd next weekend with Sunday afternoon rugby.

you couldn't see that there wer F all people there with your own eyes. Thank god we dodged that bullet with Cheika. Vern we forgive you.good call on Foley.

Foley was with the Tahs for four years, with the last as Head Coach, so he would have played a significant role in the state in which Cheika inherited the team. When he was re-appointed for 2013, I was happy to give him the benefit of the doubt. However, I'm not unhappy that the Force were willing to have him.

What he dished up as Tahs Head Coach was pretty dire to say the least. So, for the non die hard fan, I don't blame them for not turning up after being subjected to the 2012 version of the Tahs. Around 1,000 more fans tonight than the last home game so it is heading in the right direction.

I don't think Cheika is the be all and end all for the Tahs, but it is a bit early to write him off just as it is wrong to blame Cheika Foley for everything that went pear shaped during his time with the Tahs. Like many other fans, I can see what Cheika is trying to do with the team and much prefer this to what we saw last year.

We'll see in a couple of weeks when the Tahs host the Force. It will be interesting to see what type of reaction (if any) Foley gets from the crowd.

M

Moono75

t's slowly coming together for the Tahs. Watch out when they actually put in an 80 minute performance. Another stern test next Sunday against the rejuvenated Blues.

The AR on the western side during the second half should be dropped and never to return. How he didn't pick up a Cheetahs player's entire foot was in touch was beyond me.

Small crowd, but the atmosphere is getting better. Hope it's a big crowd next weekend with Sunday afternoon rugby.

Foley was with the Tahs for four years, with the last as Head Coach, so he would have played a significant role in the state in which Cheika inherited the team. When he was re-appointed for 2013, I was happy to give him the benefit of the doubt. However, I'm not unhappy that the Force were willing to have him and pleased that you like what he is doing at the Force.

What he dished up as Tahs Head Coach was pretty dire to say the least. So, for the non die hard fan, I don't blame them for not turning up after being subjected to the 2012 version of the Tahs. Around 1,000 more fans tonight than the last home game so it is heading in the right direction.

I don't think Cheika is the be all and end all for the Tahs, but it is a bit early to write him off just as it is wrong to blame Cheika for everything that went pear shaped during his time with the Tahs. Like many other fans, I can see what Cheika is trying to do with the team and much prefer this to what we saw last year.

We'll see in a couple of weeks when the Tahs host the Force. It will be interesting to see what type of reaction (if any) Foley gets from the crowd.
I guess the differene is Force fans expect that it's going to be the seond or third year before we are in a position to challenge. Tahs supporters probably expected and immedidate turnaround and challenge for the finals.

Still early and plenty of rugby to play this season.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Let go

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Barnes, Carter, Hart, McKibbin, Mitchell, Palu, Holmes, Chapman, Ulugia, S Timani, Tilse, Kepu

Keep

Betham, Douglas, Fitzpatrick (last chance), Foley, Horne, Kingston, Volavola, Lucas, Folau, L Timani, Turner, TPN, Robinson

Haven't seen enough

I'd keep Ulugia. A lot of the rest are gone anyway and all have a lot to prove.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I guess the differene is Force fans expect that it's going to be the seond or third year before we are in a position to challenge. Tahs supporters probably expected and immedidate turnaround and challenge for the finals.

Still early and plenty of rugby to play this season.

Interesting. Most Tahs fans on this board seem to want consistent improvement and signs of possible future success.

But if straw men make you feel better, go nuts. ;)

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Let go

Keep

Haven't seen enough

I agree with everyone in both categories with perhaps of exception of just to add depth in the squad in terms of props keeping Kepu on. I'd be looking at the Sydney national squad ranks for some of the monster coming through that system in terms of long term planning.

This season if I were Cheika I'd be making it clear what he wants to see in clubland and make it clear that this is the season to crack into the pro game. As there are only around 13 'keepers' he should then take those he likes the looks of and playing them off to earn the spot. Put the lucky players on a one year contract and make them earn every minute of it. The next season they have to perform against a new team of prospective talented club footballers to earn a new contract if they prevail congratulations you get a two year contract.

That's how I'd work it.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
5 weeks ago the tahs had a squad tipped to make a real play at winning the comp under the all powerful cheika. Now 1 win from 4 and you start to say he is stuck with a squad he didnt pick or want? What more do you guys want?? You have a team full of wallabies some even on the bench or not even making the 22 i just dont get it.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

M

Moono75

Really? Spoken to many Tahs supporters lately?
...this is the inside scoop from Tah Man himself.

Hey take the criticism as you like. I get as frustrated as anyone with waiting for the Tahs to fire and be a kickass team across the whole of Super rugby. Feel free to rub it in my face when we play you guys....all good. Gotta be passionate about your team ;)

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
This result, in all honesty is an absolute shocker for Australian Rugby.

Georgina Robinson can try and butter it up however she likes but it's still sh^thouse to be getting rolled at home by the Cheetahs. http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...atahs-suffer-another-loss-20130315-2g6m7.html

Everything about it shows how far the Tahs have fallen over the past few seasons. No crowd, no result and racking up a 3rd consecutive loss to a side they should have beaten every time.

The other 2 Tahs losses were to be fair, expected but tonight is just not good enough.

Tahs Grand Final is now next weekend. Lose to the Blues and they can kiss the 2013 Finals series goodbye.

If this is true then the same must apply to the Highlanders who lost to the Cheetahs last week. People should not under-rate the Cheetahs; they will always lose to teams like the Saders, Stormers, Sharks, Brumbies and the Chiefs but I reckon on their day they can beat anyone else.

There was real improvement from some tonight and there were a couple of real developing stars. But we won't make the finals this year, if you listen carefully to Cheika he doesn't think they will either. But by the end of this season we'll be ready to have a red-hot go next year.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Let go
Keep
Haven't seen enough

I would keep Ulugia, Kepu and perhaps Chapman and McCutcheon as well.

Ulugia did OK tonight. It's probably the first time I have seen a hooker not replaced during a match. But with what we saw with Holmes last week, I don't blame Cheika for keeping Johnny U on for a full 80.

It wouldn't surprise to see Folau give a presser at the end of the season announcing he doesn't have a "passion" for union and is returning to league.;)

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
A really good result for the cheetahs, specially getting in some consistency and belief in themselves to string a couple of wins together on the road - not an easy thing for any team.

Israel had a strong game, I thought.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would keep Ulugia, Kepu and perhaps Chapman and McCutcheon as well.

Ulugia did OK tonight. It's probably the first time I have seen a hooker not replaced during a match. But with what we saw with Holmes last week, I don't blame Cheika for keeping Johnny U on for a full 80.

It wouldn't surprise to see Folau give a presser at the end of the season announcing he doesn't have a "passion" for union and is returning to league.;)

Cutch is contracted already. Ulugia would depend on whether TPN and Fitzpatrick stay I guess. Chapman meh, he was a fill in and is getting on a bit, rather someone young. That miss tackle on Rhule was really embarrassing.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
.......... Cheika should have done the same and trusted his judgment on who was worth keeping and who should have been moved on.
He can't move them on until their contract expires.
Kearns made the point on the Rugby Club that Foley spent all but $150kof the salary cap before he fucked off.
So Cheika could hardly recruit a core of players that would thrive under his coaching.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
He can't move them on until their contract expires.
Kearns made the point on the Rugby Club that Foley spent all but $150kof the salary cap before he fucked off.
So Cheika could hardly recruit a core of players that would thrive under his coaching.
About that 150k was that before or after izzy?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.