• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Reds - Round 1 - 2012R01

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I thought I was completely over the Tahs but I felt a pang when I read this: I need more therapy

I don't like the celebrations til it's over and agree with. The sentiment of the article. However, dancing digby does this in other ways and therefore his opinion is pretty hypocritical on this matter.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I only just managed to watch the match this morning.

Congrats QLD, exciting finish and Shipoerlys step on horne was great.

Though the Tahs were good, missed a few old heads at the end to grind it but that happens. There was still enough Super Rugby players to get the job done.

It's been said but poor dicipline and a lack of real killer instinct I though kept the reds in it, but credit to them fir taking every opportunity. Mike Harris was great with the boot but I'm not sold on him at flyhalf and think QLD must be praying for Quade to com back in full form if there going Togo back to back.

Loved the NSW forward work, backs seemed a bit lost at times, I'm happy to pit that down to reshuffling in game 1 but will have to improve sharply quickly for my liking.

I thought the game reflected how I see the two teams at th moment. I actually think NSW play winning rugby better but have lost confidence, QLD are likes bunch of punk kids with amazin self confidence and at times it's reflected in the way they hang in there and back themselves. For eg. The last play came off but in reality with the ball back and no time left they isolated someone rather than keep the ball were they could retain. It came off therefore its brilliant but percentage wise it has to give Ewen heart palpitations.

Overall not to disappointed.thought neither team played 80 minutes,they just played there good minutes at different times to each other.

Hope both teams keep winning and are at full strength for suncorp in a few months, should be epic.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I don't like the celebrations til it's over and agree with. The sentiment of the article. However, dancing digby does this in other ways and therefore his opinion is pretty hypocritical on this matter.

Nah rubbish. There is a huge difference between a try celebration and getting up in people's grill with a few minutes left in the match.

One is acceptable celebration, one is being a total knob.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Nah rubbish. There is a huge difference between a try celebration and getting up in people's grill with a few minutes left in the match.

And if the Tahs win the game its never talked about. If QLD lose last year, Digby looks like a fool for dancing while behind. There both arrogant in my book (in different ways) and I don't like either of them. If Shipperly had danced that would have been speacial though.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
So has the myth that Carter has never been outplayed by his opposite number passed now? Tapuai was close to man of the match, and Carter with Horne, who were touted as a brick wall defencesive midfield, managed only 50% of their tackles, while Tapuai and Fainga'a made 90%.

He didn't have a good game, he is 200-1 in being outplayed for sure. Problem fr QLD was with such a poor midfield defense, they lacked the spark to put away a few more try's.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So has the myth that Carter has never been outplayed by his opposite number passed now? Tapuai was close to man of the match, and Carter with Horne, who were touted as a brick wall defencesive midfield, managed only 50% of their tackles, while Tapuai and Fainga'a made 90%.

It's not a myth, he was outplayed but this was the first time, doesn't mean he's all of a sudden crap now does it.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The Polota-Nau almost try was a cracker with his run to the line then grounding the ball over his shoulder as he is flipped on his back over the line.

Was the pass forward? I was on the other side of the field and couldn't tell. After I got home I watched the fox replay, which I think the footage posted above is from, but it is clear that the camera angle is from a bit behind Kingston/Polota-Nau so you really can't tell from the footage whether it is forward or not.

Overall the game was scrappy in parts but I don't think that was entirely the players' fault. When Harris tried to bounce the ball for the opening kick-off, it barely cam eup to his knee with a dull thud. I wondered at the time if the balls were under-inflated or just duds but watching the replay, I noticed that there were a lot of divots and often you could see a cloud of sand? water? coming up where a player's foot hit the ground when running so the ground must have been pretty heavy underfoot.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)

To be fair, I would think any player a knob who did an elaborate try celebration and whose team went on to lose the match.

Carter's behaviour was pretty appalling though. He seems to have one or two games a year when he channels his inner teenager and just loses any restraint.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
I don't mind players celebrating their getting a try or even just completing a difficult task done well. Massive hit/turnover, great cover tackle.

But as far as I'm concerned champions don't celebrate opposition errors, I don't see it in the people I class as champions and I think it puts you in the wrong headspace in terms of your own performance. Doing it before the fat lady has sung is stupid, and doing it afterwards is pathetic.

Wallatahs

Allen Oxlade (6)
I don't mind players celebrating their getting a try or even just completing a difficult task done well. Massive hit/turnover, great cover tackle.

But as far as I'm concerned champions don't celebrate opposition errors, I don't see it in the people I class as champions and I think it puts you in the wrong headspace in terms of your own performance. Doing it before the fat lady has sung is stupid, and doing it afterwards is pathetic.
I don't think anyone has ever considered Tommy Cater to be a "Champion" - Not even the man himself..

Wallatahs

Allen Oxlade (6)
But all serial pest's follow through and lead by example. Carter just shit stir's without proving he can back up the dribble that comes out of his mouth.
He was the leading try scorer in the Australian conference for 2011, so that may be a little harsh.

T

tranquility

It's not a myth, he was outplayed but this was the first time, doesn't mean he's all of a sudden crap now does it.

First time for everything huh? If that is the first time he has been outplayed, he must be one of the best players in Australian history..... Damn selectors.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
He was the leading try scorer in the Australian conference for 2011, so that may be a little harsh.

The sites I've come across seem to be conflicting - http://www.superxv.com/stats/2011/superrugby_leading_try_scorer_18.asp

That's after the final Super round who state that Higgers, Drew and Morahan are all on 6 tries a piece while Carter is on 5.

Then there's http://www.statbunker.com/rugby/btb/index.php?PL=competition&CompID=366&statType=1 who say Carter has 6 (but I'm guessing they're counting the finals?)

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
But all serial pest's follow through and lead by example. Carter just shit stir's without proving he can back up the dribble that comes out of his mouth.

He rarely comes off second best, that call is a little harsh, he backs it up quite well. Someone like Quade nibbling Richie is what your thinking bout there.

There are guys on both sides that do it. Higgers is one, no wonder him and TC had some lovin.

The head slapping and clapping when mistakes happens needs to stop but it's a rugby wide problem.

My problem with the dancing etc and branding it arrogant is the need to a)win the game first that was digbys quote (which is why I called hima hypocrite)
B)the ignorance of players who have out you through the gap or set up the try. The same goes when watching soccer and gridiron and just about any sport, it's something I hate, there is great lead up work a player gets out through by the man inside finishes, but wouldn't have without the assistant if his team mates then he celebrates as an individual, hug it out then back to half way, the crowd only needs a wave to acknowledge them, not a recital.

I like that there is nibblers in the game, but for mine there is a difference between baiting and being a knob. TC came off as a knob, but he can be a fantastic baited and as long as he finds the balance, it's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.