• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Reds - Round 1 - 2012R01

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallatahs

Allen Oxlade (6)
The sites I've come across seem to be conflicting - http://www.superxv.com/stats/2011/superrugby_leading_try_scorer_18.asp

That's after the final Super round who state that Higgers, Drew and Morahan are all on 6 tries a piece while Carter is on 5.

Then there's http://www.statbunker.com/rugby/btb/index.php?PL=competition&CompID=366&statType=1 who say Carter has 6 (but I'm guessing they're counting the finals?)
Yeh - I thought Carter, Mitchell and Higgers all ended up on 6... Didn't see Morahan there. Perhaps he scored against the Blues in the Finals.

I was eqaully as surprised to not see eithe Ioane or Davies there. Reds must have spread them (the tries) around.

Wallatahs

Allen Oxlade (6)
Re the general Carter bashing (Should we start a thread for this perhaps?) - for someone with next to no speed, no footwork and a non-existent pass or kick, he does quite well to play at this level. To use a couple of clichés - he always gives 100% and wears his heart on his sleave (which leads to his overly passionate antics).
Also, in terms of over-celebrating - Ioane can't criticise - his backflips and dances are equally as bad as anything Carter pulls out.

U

Utility Back

Re the general Carter bashing (Should we start a thread for this perhaps?) - for someone with next to no speed, no footwork and a non-existent pass or kick, he does quite well to play at this level. To use a couple of clichés - he always gives 100% and wears his heart on his sleave (which leads to his overly passionate antics).
Also, in terms of over-celebrating - Ioane can't criticise - his backflips and dances are equally as bad as anything Carter pulls out.

Massive difference for mine,
One is celebrating the what you or your team did well, the other is celebrating what the other team did badly. Diggers didnt go and shove it down his opponents throats, he celebrated for his supporters and team mates.
Im glad Carters copping crap about it, he acted like a muppet and is looking like one for it. Similar for Cooper shoving Ritchie in the head, there's nothing respectable about it.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Horne will come good, he just hasn't played in a while He showed his toughness when Digby put a big hit on him and came out looking the more damaged.

A lot of the criticism of the outside backs on both sides is a bit harsh. There wasn't a lot of quality ball served up ffrom the inside. BKH in particular was served up a couple of shockers from the guys inside him.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Carter with Horne, who were touted as a brick wall defencesive midfield, managed only 50% of their tackles, while Tapuai and Fainga'a made 90%.

This is a fairly outrageous misrepresentation, Brumbies Guy, particularly as the purpose of your post was specifically to attack Tom Carter.

The Fox Sports Fantasy tackle stats for each of the players you mention on Saturday night are:

Carter made seven tackles; missed one.
Horne made eight tackles; missed six.
Tapuai made three tackles; missed one.
Fainga'a made six tackles; missed none.

So Carter attempted eight tackles and missed one, or 14%.
His opposite number, Tapuai, attempted just four tackles and missed one, or 25%.

I don't know by whom "Carter with Horne ... were touted as a brick wall defencesive midfield". It is certainly not my opinion. I have long asserted that Tom Carter is the foremost defensive technician in Australian rugby, but Rob Horne's reputation has been built on aggressive tackling rather than defence. (It seems that many people do not understand the difference.) The same can be said of Anthony Fainga'a. Coming out of the line to make dominant hits might excite the spectators and it certainly does those who are paid as rugby commentators in this country; but it is a high risk strategy which can create yawning gaps in the defensive line, as fatprop observed:

Most of Horne's misses were attempts to make that dominant tackle, the guy is a good defender, but his timing was off on Saturday Night

Let's have a look at the defensive efficiency of these four players, again using Fox Sports Fantasy stats, in all of the Super level games they have played.

Since his first appearance in 2008, Carter has attempted 570 tackles and missed 55, or just 9.6%. I am not aware of any player in the three SANZAR countries with a superior defensive record.

Since his first appearance in 2008, Horne has attempted 261 tackles and missed 66, or 25.3%.

Since his first appearance in 2009, Tapuai has attempted 100 tackles and missed 20, or 20%.

Since his first appearance in 2008, Fainga'a has attempted 413 tackles and missed 65, or 15.7%.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Also, in terms of over-celebrating - Ioane can't criticise - his backflips and dances are equally as bad as anything Carter pulls out.[/quote]

At least Digby is entertaining!

Wallatahs

Allen Oxlade (6)
At least Digby is entertaining!
I don't find men dancing all that entertaining - but each to their own.

People love pulling out this line about how the Reds are some try-scoring entertainment machine. Didn't the Tahs outscore them last year in terms of tries? (or they at least came close).

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't find men dancing all that entertaining - but each to their own.

People love pulling out this line about how the Reds are some try-scoring entertainment machine. Didn't the Tahs outscore them last year in terms of tries? (or they at least came close).

I doesn't matter if they did score more. The reds scored entertaining tries from everywhere on the field, often against the run of play. Much like the one that won them the game on the weekend.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just watched the games again, in the last turn over from by the reds when Digby lost the ball, He cops a spray and elbow in the head from Carter ( this is the exact moment when the Tar's lost the game thinking they have won and didn't show any respect for themselves and the team for not playing the 80min...And didn't show any Respect to the REDS and they Paid for, Unreal..... Its not NRL), Carter was To busy telling digby he is Shit and Im awesome....Also nice work Higgers again running your line......

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Just watched the games again, in the last turn over from by the reds when Digby lost the ball, He cops a spray and elbow in the head from Carter ( this is the exact moment when the Tar's lost the game thinking they have won and didn't show any respect for themselves and the team for not playing the 80min...And didn't show any Respect to the REDS and they Paid for, Unreal..... Its not NRL), Carter was To busy telling digby he is Shit and Im awesome....Also nice work Higgers again running your line...... I do like a few of the Tar's players but this bloke I reckon is a tool. And didn't like him in the Wallabies as well...

Carter?
In the Wallabies?
When?

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sometimes I wish we had Wheel of Fortune rules here, and some people could buy vowels, consonants and a great big bag of punctuation so I could understand what the fuck they are on about.
As you were.
Seems to be the QLDers :fishing

If Tommy Carter scored and did a break dance after, the Reds fans would be champing at the bit to call him a dickhead.

Status
Not open for further replies.