• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Reds - Round 1 - 2012R01

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
However well the Reds defended in Brisbane last year, you would have to say the Tah forwards got on top, especially in the second half. They just couldn't finish off...

What is your criteria for "getting on top"? I would think that there is a fair argument to suggest that given the amount of 5m scrums, territory, possession etc your lads had, especially in the second half, the fact that they couldn't convert to these stats to points to me suggests that the Reds forwards won that battle and got on top.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
We did score, through Tom Carter but the referee didn't allow us 5 points.
A surer sign as any that your boys didn't actually score. I'm sure this was done to death last year but if that had happened at the other end of the pitch there is no way that Tahs fans would say that you could award that as a try - from memory you couldn't even tell if Carter got across the line!

Either way its not a good argument that the forwards got on top. That effort took all your forwards and a few backs from memory!

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I've seen that the Balmain v Petersham curtain-raiser kicks off at 6pm. Is that right? This must mean a change to the previous policy that the ground had to be free for 60 or 90 min before a Super Rugby game. Is it a full game ? An 80 min game wouldn't be done by 7.40. But great to have a genuine curtain-raiser.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
What is your criteria for "getting on top"? I would think that there is a fair argument to suggest that given the amount of 5m scrums, territory, possession etc your lads had, especially in the second half, the fact that they couldn't convert to these stats to points to me suggests that the Reds forwards won that battle and got on top.

I was trying to avoid discussion of last year's refereeing of the second half as it can't change anything and probably better belongs in the mud-throwing match thread.

Usually when a team's forwards get on top, the team goes on to record a win. Occasionally that doesn't happen, like in that game and for example in the SA v Oz RWC QF. It used to happen quite regularly when the Ellas played for Randwick, but that was a special case. When it happens there is usually some reason(s) why. I will deliberately not list them for last year's match because that will only take my post off track unnecessarily. These matches are the exception, not the rule.

If the match Saturday goes the way it usually goes, then who wins the forward battle will decide who wins. And I reckon this time the two packs are very evenly matched. I think the tight five might just win it for the Tahs, but I say it without great conviction. I expect this game and the Blues-Crusaders game to be joint match-of-the-rounds and two teams out of four will get a great kick-off to the comp and the other two will be scrambling to catch up.

T

TOCC

Predicting something and been able to react appropriately to something are two vastly different things..

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I would be careful judging players on last years weaknesses. Heaven forbid that they might develop and improve.

Tahs have a fresh start and the Reds have proven to be able to adapt how they play to minimise any weaknesses. Try and run through our pack if you wish but remember the Reds vs Stormers game last year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Tahs have delayed naming their team until tomorrow to give Berrick Barnes more time to recover.

Hopefully he pulls through and plays. We certainly need him.

Apparently he is most troubled by his groin when goalkicking. It's a shame that there isn't anyone else in the team who could step in and take the kicking duties with Barnes playing 10.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Given the injury toll to the Tah's backline I think the Reds can afford to be a little experimental with the backs, although trial form seems to suggest that most positions are set for the opener. Did someone say davies is still injured or is he available for this game?

Love to see a 4/3 bench but 5 forwards will probably favoured against the Tahs.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Love to see a 4/3 bench but 5 forwards will probably favoured against the Tahs.
My sources say Link has decided on a 5:2 split. Probably have Shatz and Gill as the backrow reserves and Lucas and Lance covering everywhere in the backs except wing (where Morahan can move to if needed).

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
My sources say Link has decided on a 5:2 split. Probably have Shatz and Gill as the backrow reserves and Lucas and Lance covering everywhere in the backs except wing (where Morahan can move to if needed).
Would love to see Schatz start with Samo off the bench for impact.

So forward bench might look like: Anae, Holmes, Van, Schatz and Gill?

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Given the injury toll to the Tah's backline I think the Reds can afford to be a little experimental with the backs, although trial form seems to suggest that most positions are set for the opener. Did someone say davies is still injured or is he available for this game?

From all reports won't be back until round 2. And considering his run last year one would hope that they do not ruch him back.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Not a full team announcement yet, but Link has confirmed that Mike Harris will be no. 10

QRU Media Release: Mike Harris earns starting nod at flyhalf for NSW Waratahs opener

St.George Queensland Reds playmaker Mike Harris will take the reigns at flyhalf on Saturday night when the Reds meet fierce rivals the NSW Waratahs in round one of the 2012 FxPro Super Rugby competition.

The announcement was made at a sold-out Reds Business Breakfast earlier this morning which was attended by 300 guests, with the selection of Harris at flyhalf breaking Quade Cooper’s recent mortgage on the number 10 jersey.

Harris enjoyed a magical debut season with the Reds in 2011, winning the team’s Rookie of the Year honour for his efforts in the Reds drought-breaking Super Rugby championship success.

The goal-kicking ace continued that form throughout this year's two preseason trial victories - against the Brumbies (27-20) and Western Force (40-10) – and enters Saturday’s clash against the Waratahs with a 96% success rate with the boot for the Reds with a tough preseason sideline conversion against the Brumbies earlier this year his only miss in 24 attempts at goal.

“It’s a great opportunity but I’ve just been asked to go out there and play my own game to give the team the best chance to win,” Harris said.

Harris made his Queensland and Super Rugby debut from the bench in the Reds hefty round two 30-6 loss against the Waratahs in Sydney in 2011 before featuring heavily at inside centre in the Reds 19-15 Templeton Cup success later in the year at Suncorp Stadium.

“It was a proud moment making my debut for Queensland but from a team perspective it was arguably our most forgettable moment of 2011,” he said.

“We’ve now got the chance to rectify the wrongs from that night.”

Coach Ewen McKenzie said Harris had earned the right to wear the number 10 jersey but insisted he was more focused on the team’s collective efforts as they endeavour to break a nine-year drought against the Waratahs in Sydney.

The Reds last triumphed against the Waratahs in Sydney in 2003, a 35-23 success, while of the eight matches played between the two teams south of the border they have each tasted success on four occasions.

“There has been a focus from the outside world on who will replace Quade but the reality is we have been more interested in finding the best player to articulate and deliver the game we want to play in 2012,” McKenzie said.

“We were thoroughly disappointed with how we performed in Sydney last year and now the players have a chance to go out and erase that memory.”

The St.George Queensland Reds will announce their lineup to play the NSW Waratahs tomorrow.

With three days to go until the start of the season, the Reds have over 27,000 members on board for 2012 with that number expected to break the 35,000 mark during the season.

Full season memberships are a cheaper alternative to individual match tickets and start at just $65, packages include a special edition members-only DVD of the 2011 Super Rugby Final, which is unavailable for retail purchase and contains never-before seen footage, and a 126-page 2012 season guide.

Full 2012 membership information can be found here - http://www.redsrugby.com.au/MembershipHospitality/2012Memberships.aspx.

ENDS

Great stat bolded, though it was a miss against the Force, not the Brumbies...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Apparently he is most troubled by his groin when goalkicking. It's a shame that there isn't anyone else in the team who could step in and take the kicking duties with Barnes playing 10.

If he doesn't kick I don't think anyone else is capable in the best backline. Beale and Turner were our next kicking options. It might mean McKibben has to start.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It creates a difficult situation if Barnes is otherwise fit but doesn't want to kick.

I don't think you could drop Pretorious and play McKibben if Barnes doesn't want to kick. I also don't think you drop Barnes and play Halangahu.

You could drop BKH and play Foley on the wing (or play AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the wing and put Foley to fullback).

Can Kingston kick at all?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If Barnes' groin is dodgy enough to stop him kicking, then I doubt he will play at all.

Having Harris over the injured Cooper should actually help the Reds due to his superior field and place kicking. If Harris had played game two last year the Reds wouldn't have been in as much trouble as they were (mostly due to Cooper's poor field kicking).

If Barnes is out I think I'll start leaning towards a Reds victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.