• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Reds - Round 1 - 2012R01

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
OK then, in a Tweet from Ewin today after the game. He was asked by the media, how Rocky Elsom will go for the reds this year. Also Mike Harris was confused for Dom Shipperley by media... Great work.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
OK then, in a Tweet from Ewin today after the game. He was asked by the media, how Rocky Elsom will go for the reds this year. Also Mike Harris was confused for Dom Shipperley by media... Great work.

The Harris/Ships error was pretty funny. It was a young AP journo I think. In to the presser walk Horwill, Harris and Link. Reds press guy says "We have James Horwill, Mike Harris and Ewen McKenzie", and the bloke looks at Harris and goes "So Dom what did you think when you saw the clear run to the tryline?".

Harris gave the bloke the blankest of stares before saying he's not Dom. Everyone laughed, the Reds blokes saw the funny side of it. The poor journo just had a brain fade, he wanted to melt into the floor. We've all been there. Still a funny moment.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

It is a well known principle that to work in Rugby media you MUST have no rugby knowledge whatsoever. Its why G&GR is so popular amongst fans.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fox commentary kept referring to Nic White as Robbie Coleman when he took the first shot at goal...

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)

You've got some front, biggsy, I'll give you that. Just two pages back when you were slagging Tom Carter and calling him "a tool" you ended by saying: "And didn't like him in the Wallabies as well..." After Inside Shoulder asked you when Carter had played for the Wallabies you replied: "Your correct wrong player I was thinking of time of post.. "

So it's not just the media who get confused about which team people play for or which player is which.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm not sure if Vickerman has already worked with the team but I saw signs of his game in Douglas. He cleaned out effectively, had strong runs and tackled strongly often dominating the tackle. Very good game from him and is hopefully signs from him that he's returned to his best. A Wallaby cap is waiting if he continues throughout the season, could very well take over from where Vicks left off.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
You've got some front, biggsy, I'll give you that. Just two pages back when you were slagging Tom Carter and calling him "a tool" you ended by saying: "And didn't like him in the Wallabies as well..." After Inside Shoulder asked you when Carter had played for the Wallabies you replied: "Your correct wrong player I was thinking of time of post.. "

So it's not just the media who get confused which team people play for or which player is which.

Yes your correct, and I new this at the time of writting that post, so I was expecting a reply like this. I felt like a dick getting mixed up with the carter and the person i was thinking of at the tome of post. and corrected myself. And I'm fine with that. It Would have been worse being that person at that time in front of alot of people, maybe he should stick to nrl and alf

And for me and my mistake, shit happes and fucked up. I only know 2 of the best Tar players in the squad. Barnes and mitchel. Every team needs qlder in the team to win. ;)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I'm not sure if Vickerman has already worked with the team but I saw signs of his game in Douglas. He cleaned out effectively, had strong runs and tackled strongly often dominating the tackle. Very good game from him and is hopefully signs from him that he's returned to his best. A Wallaby cap is waiting if he continues throughout the season, could very well take over from where Vicks left off.
I watched him closely for a while at the ground and he shifted some pianos; he also seemed in a dither sometimes as to when to do something. This happens a lot with young tight five forwards and I have seen the same from young Simmons.

For that matter: it happens with older backrowers also: David Lyons spent most of his career wondering what to do.

Douglas also loitered about the back of his ruck getting in the way of Pretorius, and he was not the Lone Ranger in that regard. Backs train to do moves automatically; forwards need to learn breakdown housekeeping and keep things tidy on their side of it, automatically.

Some forwards can do this intuitively but if they can't, most of the disciplines can be acquired. We will have to watch this space on young Kane. He's been in the pro environment a while and is not in Kansas any more.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It's nit possible to go through this thread and report everyone, but in jest or nit, surely the critique of Tom Carter and the use of profanity to describe him has stepped over several lines here.

There ISA massive double standard here, he had a bad game but the name calling and finger pointing is a little extreme.

i think even thats a bit tough - I thought he played OK missed one tackle, which is rare. He has limitations but he aint no quitter.

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Shipperly's pace was fantastic not to mention the step on Horne, how fast is he compared to the other backs in Australia right now?

Wallatahs

Allen Oxlade (6)
Shipperly's pace was fantastic not to mention the step on Horne, how fast is he compared to the other backs in Australia right now?
If we were to line him up today against the fastest man in football, Lachie Turner, I know where my moneys going.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Turner fastest man in football? Davies, Habana, Aplon....any of those ring a bell.

Shipperely is suprisingly quick but nothing out of the ordinary.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Turner fastest man in football? Davies, Habana, Aplon....any of those ring a bell.

Shipperely is suprisingly quick but nothing out of the ordinary.[/quote]
You think? Off season reports had Shipperley twice winning the 40m sprint trial at the Reds, with Rocket in the field. I hardly think that's "nothing out of the ordinary", as Davies has looked scary quick over short distances on the footy field.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
LB Congrats with your teams win. Your the one Reds support I know since when and had to endure a lot of drubbing in the good old days. Must be great to be a Reds fan right now.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Back to the game, watching the shipperly break/try again, it was terrible defence from the tahs. We had three defenders (AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Horne & Alcock coming across in cover) all marking shipperly (or atleast in a position to theoretically make the tackle). Harris was the nearest red and he was covered by Hangers and Dennis. So thats 5 tahs on two reds and shipperly just stepped between them. Horne and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) were both seeking to protect the outside break. Originally I thought it was Alcock and who stuffed it but I suspect there was some poor communication between AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Horne as well.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
mark_s; yeah, I agree. Shipperley never should've gotten through - he just drifted wide enough to go past Alcock, and stepped back on the inside to avoid Horne. Horne never should've gotten beaten on the inside when he had a defender outside of him, and no attacker. In Alcock's defence, he was desperately drifting and following the pass.

Was pretty damn lazy defence, but then again, it was also the last minute of the first game of the season. That sort of thing (two men beating five) shouldn't happen by mid-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom