• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
It reminds me a lot of the Reds back in 2008 & 2009. As a fan you don't think things are going too badly but then you get to the end of the season and have only won 2 or 3 matches.

Someone needs to point out to Foley that a pattern has emerged in their results and he gets in a sports psychologist or something now to try to convince them they're good enough to actually win, instead of just competing,

Either that, or we all just back the opposition by 1-12 every week and take some of Tom Waterhouse's millions back.

And then 2010/11 happened and bang super rugby champs.

They have the same sports psychologist who helped turn the reds around.

Its not far away. Im not expecting them to be champs in the next year or 2 but i feel they are close to be able to give it a red hot crack.
Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
And then 2010/11 happened and bang super rugby champs.

They have the same sports psychologist who helped turn the reds around.

Its not far away. Im not expecting them to be champs in the next year or 2 but i feel they are close to be able to give it a red hot crack.

The issue for the Force is penetrating the defensive line of their opposition. I tend to see a very dangerous mindset developing of winning the game on statistic but not scoreboard. They need to find another player who can threaten along the back line beside both Godwin and Mafi. Last night apart from Matthewson's try, it didn't appear that anyone had any ideas of how to do that.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
The issue for the Force is penetrating the defensive line of their opposition. I tend to see a very dangerous mindset developing of winning the game on statistic but not scoreboard. They need to find another player who can threaten along the back line beside both Godwin and Mafi. Last night apart from Matthewson's try, it didn't appear that anyone had any ideas of how to do that.
I agree.

They are working on getting those players. Morahan already on board next yeah Holmes and prior aswell if you listen to the rumours. A player like Holmes a real 10 will do wonders for players like Godwin and mafi (if we can keep him) and with cummins still to come back its not all doom and gloom.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I agree.

They are working on getting those players. Morahan already on board next yeah Holmes and prior aswell if you listen to the rumours. A player like Holmes a real 10 will do wonders for players like Godwin and mafi (if we can keep him) and with cummins still to come back its not all doom and gloom.

It's not. Don't take my comment as being so either. After all, the Force are my second team. I cheer for them almost as fervently as I do for the Tahs. I want them to win and if the Tahs fail to make a Final in the future but the Force do, I'll be donning my Force jersey (yes, I have one of each) and be proudly backing them to the death. That's what makes this season so damn frustrating for me. They just seems to be lacking ideas and structure in back play to threaten. A lot of that has to do with the personnel they have. It's too reliant on both Godwin (who has been exemplary so far this season) and Mafi to provide all of the spark. Players like Junior Rosalea have potential but not quite the vision yet.

What concerns me has been Foley's almost joyful acceptance of winning the game on the stats sheet while losing the game competitively. This also leads to this awful feeling I get that SNK will be hanging around "controlling" but not sparking the back line for an extended term.

The Force have Steve Meehan on board. He has the right mentality to install a real enterprising nature at the Force but not the essential pieces to pull if off. Next season with Cummins hopefully injury free and Holmes in the 10 (please let it be Holmes in 10) and potentially Turner (who is actually a good 13 as well as a wing) then the base elements are there to turn the Force from a gallant loser to a force in the competition.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
A great effort by the Force, I really expected the Canes to thrash them at the Caketin.

If they can get a couple of good, attacking, three quarters they will scare most teams next season.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
So you lot have picked up Morahan, Prior and Zack Holmes?

Damn good recruiting!

Prior
Holmes
Mafi
Godwin
Stubbs
Morahan
Norton-Knight

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I would love to know how many km te force have travelled so far this year and also the difference to everyone else. I think it's a
Joke, we have been over east then too South Africa then perth then over east then perth back east then home again now NZ then Canberra

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I'd like to know why you guys think Stubbs is the solution at 13/14. He's not the guy who's going to be making breaks he's not fast or explosive enough. He's a strong hole runner with a decent fend

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'd like to know why you guys think Stubbs is the solution at 13/14. He's not the guy who's going to be making breaks he's not fast or explosive enough. He's a strong hole runner with a decent fend
Who said he was the solution. If cummins was fit i doubt he would be getting a look in.

And next year with morahan also there it will.only get harder for him. He has only played 2 games all year and was solid in both he is a good squad player you need them in your team.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)

The abilities you just describe sound perfect for a 13 to me? Couple that with his excellent defence and good passing and you have a solid option.
For me all this talk about cummins at 13 is silly, that was the force of old whose only option was to hit a crashballing honey badger.
For me though going forward I think the godwin/rasolea centre pairing is a fantastic option.
Atm i am getting the vibe that force have given up on this year and are trialing for next with all the chopping and changing their doing to the squad. They had a winning formula against the crusaders and should of just stuck with it!
For next year though my backline would be.
9. Matthewson
10. Holmes
11. Mafi (if he stays, if not?) stubbs
12.Godwin
13. Rasolea
14.Cummins
15. Morahan
P.S I am a little disapointed we signed Holmes when their is a solid option in burton already in perth

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
The abilities you just describe sound perfect for a 13 to me? Couple that with his excellent defence and good passing and you have a solid option.
For me all this talk about cummins at 13 is silly, that was the force of old whose only option was to hit a crashballing honey badger.
For me though going forward I think the godwin/rasolea centre pairing is a fantastic option.
Atm i am getting the vibe that force have given up on this year and are trialing for next with all the chopping and changing their doing to the squad. They had a winning formula against the crusaders and should of just stuck with it!
For next year though my backline would be.
9. Matthewson
10. Holmes
11. Mafi (if he stays, if not?) stubbs
12.Godwin
13. Rasolea
14.Cummins
15. Morahan
P.S I am a little disapointed we signed Holmes when their is a solid option in burton already in perth

I like the team TD. Wouldnt change a think and i still hoping we can keep hold of mafi. Maybe if diggby is off overseas he might stick around as a path to the wallabies would have opened up.

On holmes im very happy for a perth boy to be brought home and he returns a better player then when he left.

with burton i would look for him to be in the eps he really impressed me in the tonga trial and cant wait to see how he goes in the aus 20's.

Some great wa talent starting to come through the rank mext year there could be 5 wa players in the squad

Godwin
Holmes
Longbottom
Hoskins
Burton

With Turner coming back from injury might be step to far to expext him back at super level next year.

I would love us to bring back Cruze and DHP also.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)

So you want a 13 that runs straight and tackles well then? Why not chuck in Dellit or Stanley because that's exactly what they have as well. In my opinion a 13 should have the ability to beat a man one on one and be able to set up his outside player- 'x factor' if you will. I feel this is the one position Force have not addressed

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Hoskins is young Born(1992?) and while maybe not super XV material this second a year of professional training would do him wonders and WA rugby owe him that at least.
Burton is class and should be chosen a spine of 10. Burton, 12 Godwin & 15. Holmes is mouthwatering to say the least

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
So you want a 13 that runs straight and tackles well then? Why not chuck in Dellit or Stanley because that's exactly what they have as well. In my opinion a 13 should have the ability to beat a man one on one and be able to set up his outside player- 'x factor' if you will. I feel this is the one position Force have not addressed

Thats why mentioned his good passing?

You don't play Australian 7's for 3 years and lack the ability to beat someone 1-on-1.

Also I know alot of people get confused on this but there is a big difference between good line running and running straight & hard liek Pat McCabe

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Thats why mentioned his good passing?

You don't play Australian 7's for 3 years and lack the ability to beat someone 1-on-1.

Also I know alot of people get confused on this but there is a big difference between good line running and running straight & hard liek Pat McCabe

You do realise he played a forward in 7s. Also look at their captain Ed Jenkins- it's been a long time since he's ever beaten a man one on one

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
You do realise he played a forward in 7s. Also look at their captain Ed Jenkins- it's been a long time since he's ever beaten a man one on one

I am not going to point out the serious floors in your argument just show you this.

and ask if you may get your coat on the way out.

P.s how mouth watering is that running GaffaCHinO

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Flaws- if you're going to try and be smart at least get your shit right. WHere were the flaws in my argument?
Look to be honest I'm not overly fazed. Pick the guy at OC and he ll do an adequate job- just don't expect too much ie linebreaks

Status
Not open for further replies.