• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Clive Palmers got a bit of weight behind him, Nathan Tinkler and Gina. Force get a billionaire front row. Now Gina Prop or Hooker?

Oh that's a tough one. I would suggest hooker, however I fear that I would be dragging this thread into the gutter if I did. That would be quite an imposing front row though. I am sure the front row alone would outweigh whole opposition packs! Not to mention there would be more chins than a Chinese phone book.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Just read an article sorry can link from phone. About mafi said he is signed for 2013 good news a very good player with a bright future hopefully in a force uniform

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

Moono75

Oh that's a tough one. I would suggest hooker, however I fear that I would be dragging this thread into the gutter if I did. That would be quite an imposing front row though. I am sure the front row alone would outweigh whole opposition packs! Not to mention there would be more chins than a Chinese phone book.
It would be a strange feeling for Ma'fu to be in a team were he was considered 'buff'.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
IMO, Cheika's the only one with the hard track record and matching attitude of a kind the Force must go for.

Pick any kind of secondary, also ran coach with so-so track record and at best little will improve for you, and at worse, serious franchise implosion by/during 2014.

Force should use assistant coaches until they get get an absolutely top coach with a hardened track record of success at elite levels. Be patient until you have the right solution, the fans will thank you in time.

This is a moment of destiny definition - a mistake will be fatal.

M

Moono75

This is crunch time for the Force. If they get this decision wrong and we recruit poorly player wise in the off season and there is no marked improvement in 2013, I can see the fan base dropping away so that only the absolute die hard rugby fans attend. This may deliver sub 9,000 crowds. This coaching decision marks the reboot of the Force franchise. I am optimistic that they will get it right. It would be nice to get some inkling of who they are targeting player wise for next year.

Scott Johnson just came out of nowhere as far as a candidate goes. Cheika probably No1 option, O'Sullivan will he be committed to live in the beautiful city of Perth for the next 2 or 3 years?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Can someone tell us how and why O'Sullivan or Johnson would be suitable for the Force's needs, and get the franchise into the S15 finals asap?

M

Moono75

Can someone tell us how and why O'Sullivan or Johnson would be suitable for the Force's needs, and get the franchise into the S15 finals asap?
Can someone tell us how Richard Graham would be suitable for the Red's needs, and get the franchise into the S15 finals asap? :)

Coaching appointments....they are just too important to f#ck up! I hope the selection panel think and think hard about this.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Brave move by the young man considering the strength of our backrow. Good on him. But I am surprised someone like the Rebels haven't targeted him.

W

Waylon

Those 3 options are toilet

They should keep searching

It smacks of a desperate decision by a desperate organisation desperate to survive.

They need a real winner

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Johnson developed the structure, academy program etc at the Ospreys where he was director of coaching. He is a damn good coach

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
Just read an article sorry can link from phone. About mafi said he is signed for 2013 good news a very good player with a bright future hopefully in a force uniform

An even more important re-signing than I originally thought considering Shepherd's defection to the Northern Hemisphere.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
The team where Gene Fairbanks will sign in Japan is Kintetsu Liners.
Apparently they have hired Tom Hockings as well

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He is the Bloemfontein bench player hired to save Australia's worst rugby franchise.

Sias Ebersohn, a regular reserve for the Cheetahs this year, will be recruited as Western Force's marquee international and five-eighth for next season, ruling out a Perth play for Wallabies star Quade Cooper.
Ebersohn is the Force's first major signing since the departure of coach Richard Graham, who was asked to leave mid-contract after being lured to Queensland Reds for 2013.

Ebersohn, whose twin brother Robert plays in the centres for the Cheetahs, was a regular starter last year but this season has played second fiddle to Johan Goosen (injured) and now Riaan Smit.
His former Cheetahs teammate, New South Wales Waratahs halfback Sarel Pretorius, spoke with him before they played each other in Bloemfontein last weekend.
Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"He asked me to meet with him in South Africa and he asked a lot of questions," Pretorius said.
"He asked about the lifestyle. He is engaged now, so he'll be coming over with his partner. I just told him what I experienced in the first couple of weeks, what I went through.
"Last year he had a good season, this year he's just on the bench.
"The main thing is he just wants to play, and with the Force I think he can get an opportunity. The Force are struggling with a good team at the moment.
"I think Sias is a good player and he can push them in the right direction."
Having been rejected by Will Genia, many expected the Force to target Cooper. Force skipper David Pocock, who remains unsigned for next year, is keen to see the club sign world-class halves.
Ebersohn may not be recognisable enough for Pocock to stay, with rumours growing that he will join the Brumbies next year.
The Force are struggling to attract the game's elite, signified by Genia turning his back at the 11th hour on the richest domestic contract in Australian rugby history.
The Force then missed out on their first South African preference, Peter Grant, when the fly half re-signed with the Stormers last month.
Ebersohn played for the Baby Boks but has not kicked on to become a recognised international.
At just 23, however, he has time on his side.
Questions remain over who will coach the Force next year, with Michael Cheika, Scott Johnson and Eddie O'Sullivan the contenders.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Ebersohn is a decent enough 10, but not brilliant. Certainly not radically better than Stannard or Seymour.

The Force have plenty of cash on hand since Sharpey is leaving (who was getting most of their 3rd party cash). It seems they are going to throw it all at Pocock, which I suppose is fair enough.

They badly need a quality 12 though.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Ebersohn is a decent enough 10, but not brilliant. Certainly not radically better than Stannard or Seymour.

The Force have plenty of cash on hand since Sharpey is leaving (who was getting most of their 3rd party cash). It seems they are going to throw it all at Pocock, which I suppose is fair enough.

They badly need a quality 12 though.
do you think Godwin may be able to step into that position with mafi at 15? Some who saw him play for 20s say he showed abit.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
One think I did notice in last weeks game was mafi coming in to first receiver a few times which worked really well. I would love to see him get a run at 12 he has a very good pass and good defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.