• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
I know, I follow Italian rugby quite closely. Currently there's 2 Aussies and one is very much a fringe player.

More could be done with lateral thinking, Barbieri basically fell into their laps.

As for Scotland, there are loads of people with Scottish heritage in the south island of New Zealand, as per the "Highlanders". One would have to say you wouldn't have to work too hard to find a promising handfull.

yep,I qualify through my Scottish grandparents
why i never got the call still baffles me

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah I'm the same brokendown.

I've had my bags packed for the past three years, just waiting for the phone to ring.

I would have thought my good form in 3rd grade subbies qualifies me for at least a squad pick...

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Scotland could definitely target more australians and kiwis for sure even south africans who aren't quite in the top tier to make the national team. tease them with 6 nations and world cup play....
yes the barbieri incident was a strange one. he played on the same u-19 team as two of my best mates and his defection was surprising for them. I think it came down to wanting a shot to play 6 nations....which you can understand. but you're right in that he went to them.

M

Moono75

Nathan Charles apparently signed on with Force for another 2 years.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
That'd be a shame, Charles and Whittaker both have a heap of potential. I wouldn't like to see them losing out.

From an Australian Rugby perspective I think Hanson should go to the Rebels, where he wouldn't be pushing out any young buck.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I would think that whittaker might look to another club as he has not been getting the game time now with charles takin the starting role. I hope he stays but would not hold it against him if he left. As for hanson i hope he stays at the reds but if whittiker wants out then he is welcome aslong as he is a bench player because i dont want to see charles development haulted!

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
The Force definatly should not need to chase Hanson. Charles and Whittaker are the young players that need to be brought through the system and kept there long term. Both are quality players. If anything I could see Hanson signing with Melbourne, but I cant imagine he'd want to share the duties with Charles in Perth.

M

Moono75

Wow Force.....way to aim high :confused:
He would have to come in as a bench player/back up. The Force can't afford to wait another 2 or 3 years with mediocre results while players develop. Not sure what his form has been like for Canterbury in the NPC. He showed some promise but still a couple of years away. The Force need some big bold recruiting decisions that will put the team on the path to improvement next year and then challenging for finals. If they can turn it around in one year all the better.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
As for Scotland, there are loads of people with Scottish heritage in the south island of New Zealand, as per the "Highlanders". One would have to say you wouldn't have to work too hard to find a promising handful.

Most Kiwis from the bottom of the South Island with a Scottish surname are descendants from settlers about 150 years ago. I doubt if a Scottish grandparent could be found among any of them.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
The Force definatly should not need to chase Hanson. Charles and Whittaker are the young players that need to be brought through the system and kept there long term. Both are quality players. If anything I could see Hanson signing with Melbourne, but I cant imagine he'd want to share the duties with Charles in Perth.

I am quite certain that this article was written before Charles' signature was confirmed. It would be a complete waste of money to hold Charles, Whittaker and Hanson. Hanson would be better off with the Reds or the Rebels. I'd lean towards the Rebels as that way everyone has a good starting hooker and the talent is evenly spread.

Another Bret Harris mistake in the article. Swanepoel was with the Force for all of both 2010 and 2011.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeah I don't see how Swanepoel can forfeit his Australian Rugby qualification, I've certainly never heard of this happening.

There have been cases of guys being deported from a country they're qualified to play for.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yeah it can happen. I think Swanepoel has both NZ and SA citizenship and would have to give one up for Australian citizenship. Despite living in Australia for a good 4 or 5 years you have to do 3 years of consecutive residency to the point of selection to get qualification to play. It's a shame really. He's a player who was developed in Australia and he probably won't get recruited because the ARU is pedantic about only having 2 import players. What a waste.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
He might have to get a working Visa but I'm pretty sure he's still qualified to play test rugby. Isn't that what matters?

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
8.1 Subject to Regulation 8.2, a Player may only play for the senior fifteen-aside
National Representative Team, the next senior fifteen-a-side National
Representative Team and the senior National Representative Sevens Team
of the Union of the country in which:
(a) he was born; or
(b) one parent or grandparent was born; or
(c) he has completed thirty six consecutive months of Residence
immediately preceding the time of playing.

Consecutive months immediately preceding the time of playing. His time in Canterbury has buggered that.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
scotland are drafting in dutchman visser.

Tim Visser is playing for Scotland by choice. He went to school in England and knocked back approaches by the (England) RU preferring to bide his time and play for the Scots.

He's a big, rangy winger, like George North of Wales, and very hard to stop. IIRR he scored the most number of tries in the Magners last season, and the season before. He's in his third season for Edinburgh and becomes eligible for Scotland in June. Unfortunately we won't be able to see him play against the Wallabies on tour because he becomes eligible a week after the test match.

By the bye: if Tim can't play against the Wallabies, another relatively unknown player can. Stuart Hogg (think Mogg and you won't be far of the mark) is only 19 and, with 20 y.o. Duncan Weir, was in the Scots U/20 team last year. I've seen him play 13 and 15 in the Rabo this season and as a fullback is reminiscent of Mogg of the Brumbes and Taylor of the Hurricanes.

Incidentally, he was eligible for Ireland before he played for Scotland in 6N this year, and is a distant relative of the late George Best

Visser, Hogg and Weir are going to be around for a while. Watch this space.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
As for Scotland, there are loads of people with Scottish heritage in the south island of New Zealand, as per the "Highlanders". One would have to say you wouldn't have to work too hard to find a promising handfull.

That was back in the days of settlement when Free Church dissenters from Scotland lobbed in what they called Dunedin. There were a lot of Scots miners coming to a gold rush later also.

I spent about 8 years in NZ as a youngster and you could often tell that a person was from down south by the burr in the voice. That was a long time ago, but have a good listen to Jamie McIntosh in post match interviews and how he rolls his arse. Make that Rs. The Scot's' heritage is still there.

But I digress - there aren't any current players who had grandparents who were settlers or came for the gold rush.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Give this a watch.

This bloke is born in WA and played/lived there for periods till he was 17.

He's a fringe Super Rugby player and well worth a look, he even has an Aussie accent!

Status
Not open for further replies.