• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Another Force fan told me yesterday Sheehan was off to France at the end of this year. Does anyone know if this is correct?

M

Moono75

Not sure if it is France but this is his last season with the Force.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
So the force defiantly need to sign a scrum half if Sheehan isn't staying. I do agree , i think Sheehan has proved to be one of the force bet signings in the last couple of years. I do Remember that McKibbin was possibly moving to the NH for A chance to play for Scotland but being that he is having a great season for the tahs and Is a possible wallaby bolter maybe he could be snapped up.

Http://www.youtube.com/shiggins316

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
If Italy and Scotland got craftier in scouting players with their heritage they'd be much more competitive.

Yes Italy, there are 2nd and 3rd Generation Italians outside of Argentina. Whereas Scotland, they just don't even bother.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't see why McKibbin would leave the Tahs if he's planning on staying in Aus.

You guys should go after Nic Stirzacker

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
haven't been impressed by him personally, I still don't know why the Tahs got him. There's a reason he's only had limited time at the Blues..

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
haven't been impressed by him personally, I still don't know why the Tahs got him. There's a reason he's only had limited time at the Blues..

I think he'd be good for a try for a year. He's 23 and he's been around Super set-ups for years.

The Force should put him on an EPS contract for a year and if he's no good they'll know it's not a maturity thing, he just isn't good enough. And if he is, they have a semi-experienced professional in their ranks.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
If Italy and Scotland got craftier in scouting players with their heritage they'd be much more competitive.

Yes Italy, there are 2nd and 3rd Generation Italians outside of Argentina. Whereas Scotland, they just don't even bother.

I believe James Ambrosini, a young QLD flyhalf, has gone to Italy for this very reason. I don't know for sure whether his move was due to the suggestion of Italian officials, but it appears they're thinking along the same lines as you.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
I don't see why McKibbin would leave the Tahs if he's planning on staying in Aus.

You guys should go after Nic Stirzacker

Unfortunately, he's already re-signed with the Rebels.

MELBOURNE Rebels have re-signed seven of their youngsters.

Playmakers Nick Phipps, Nic Stirzaker and Richard Kingi, winger Lachie Mitchell and forwards Hugh Pyle, Laurie Weeks and Cadeyrn Neville have all agreed to new deals.

Only approval from the Australian Rugby Union stands in the way of the deals becoming official.
They have signed a mix of one, two and three years.

Weeks, 26, was the oldest of the re-signings and Stirzaker, 21, the youngest.

The signature of Pyle, 23, pleased coach Damien Hill, who said the young lock will play for the Wallabies sooner rather than later.

"In his first year of Super Rugby last year he really stood up and made an impact on the field and around the team and his intelligence shines through, so it was a natural we wanted to keep him," Hill said.

"I think he has potential to go on to be a Wallaby."

In Phipps, Kingi and Stirzaker, Hill said the Rebels have secured some of Australia's best half-back talent.

Hill said Weeks' new contract had raised his spirits as he recovers from a shoulder injury that could rule him out for the rest of the season

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/r...re-future-forces/story-fnbytzeo-1226339276646

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In Phipps, Kingi and Stirzaker, Hill said the Rebels have secured some of Australia's best half-back talent.

That's surprising they re-signed all 3 halfbacks.

Surely one of them would want to leave due to no gametime

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

why? The Tahs are prone to go for experience over potential

The guy has been in pro and semi pro programs for a while, is he a great 9?

No evidence so far.

Could he do a job if needed, yeah probably

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I've seen him play numerous games for Southern Districts where he's been in and out of 1st grade after being pressured by Dewet Roos and also games for Tahs A. He hasn't stood out on all those occasions, considering they got him from the Blues you'd expect him to be of a higher quality imo. I would say Foley has the same opinion considering he hasn't even been on the bench yet - yes no injuries thus far to a halfback but maybe you'd given him some game time?

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)

They have several australians of italian descent playing for them and robert barbieri is canadian born and bred, played u-19 for canada.
they are already on top of this. barbieri probably being their best result (of the non-argentine variety)

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)

That's surprising they re-signed all 3 halfbacks.

Surely one of them would want to leave due to no gametime
I was under the impression they resigned phipps last year for two years...so i am not sure the news of him signing this year is actually new....you need three scrum halfs though so i don't see why its an issue. stirzaker is young and inexperienced, kingi should be our starter and phipps the back up, but the past two years have shown there's pretty healthy rotation between the halves.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
They have several australians of italian descent playing for them and robert barbieri is canadian born and bred, played u-19 for canada.
they are already on top of this. barbieri probably being their best result (of the non-argentine variety)

I know, I follow Italian rugby quite closely. Currently there's 2 Aussies and one is very much a fringe player.

More could be done with lateral thinking, Barbieri basically fell into their laps.

scotland are drafting in dutchman visser.

As for Scotland, there are loads of people with Scottish heritage in the south island of New Zealand, as per the "Highlanders". One would have to say you wouldn't have to work too hard to find a promising handfull.

Status
Not open for further replies.