• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Western Force 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Holy Shit!! This is much more exciting that the O'Connor or Cummins signing (mostly because O'Connor is a bit of a douche and Cummins is so earnest you felt he was always going to sign).

2. Canterbury centre Robbie Fruean is so disgruntled with his situation in NZ that he approached the Force and offered his services for two years. I was told in the hope of becoming a Wallaby, Either way Robbie in Force jumper is fine with me
approve.gif

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Holy Shit!! This is much more exciting that the O'Connor or Cummins signing (mostly because O'Connor is a bit of a douche and Cummins is so earnest you felt he was always going to sign).
yeah not sure how we would be able to sign him is both Cummins and JOC (James O'Connor) sign that would brign us to 30 and unless he has a long lost Aus grandmother then he will have to be signed as a development player and would take 3 years to become a wallaby meaning he woudl miss the RWC so not sure about that one but would love it to happen.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
yeah not sure how we would be able to sign him is both Cummins and JOC (James O'Connor) sign that would brign us to 30 and unless he has a long lost Aus grandmother then he will have to be signed as a development player and would take 3 years to become a wallaby meaning he woudl miss the RWC so not sure about that one but would love it to happen.

It's a noodle scratcher.

If he had an Aus Grandma he'd be eligible for the Wobs today (doubtful), but if he hasn't played ABs or AB 7s then he'd have to take the 3 years.

I'd take him over JOC (James O'Connor). He's more of a project but there's no issues with the man.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
It's a noodle scratcher.

If he had an Aus Grandma he'd be eligible for the Wobs today (doubtful), but if he hasn't played ABs or AB 7s then he'd have to take the 3 years.

I'd take him over JOC (James O'Connor). He's more of a project but there's no issues with the man.
Except for the Old Ticker

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Fruen at the Force? Fuck off, don't tease me like that! Sweet baby Jeebus can you imagine how good that midfield would be? I'm discounting it as a possibility for now, but it is a mouthwatering prospect is it not...

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Cummins commits to Force

The Emirates Western Force has re-signed powerful Wallabies winger, Nick Cummins for the 2014 and 2015 Super Rugby seasons.

The retention of Cummins continues the Force’s recruitment of additional pace in the backline which will see him team up with the likes of new recruits Dane Haylett-Petty, Marcel Brache, Zack Holmes and Luke Morahan, as well as current members including Kyle Godwin, Patrick Dellit, Junior Rasolea, Ed Stubbs and Jayden Hayward.

Cummins was recruited by the Force in 2007 and made his Super Rugby debut for the Western Australian side against the Sharks in Durban in 2008.

During his six seasons with the Perth-based club he has developed into a mainstay of the Emirates Western Force backline and has amassed 59 provincial caps.

In 2012 made his Test debut for the Wallabies against Argentina and has recorded a total of eight caps to date.

He is set to make a return for Australia in the upcoming Spring Tour after injuring his hand in the Wallabies’ 14-13 win over Argentina in Perth last month.

Cummins says he is excited about continuing his career with the Emirates Western Force and is looking forward to re-joining the side again following his Wallabies commitments.

“I’ve made Perth my home over the past six years and it’s exciting to be sticking around with this bunch of blokes and developing my game where I started my Super Rugby career,” he said.

“I’m looking forward to getting out there and seeing plenty more of the ‘seed’ in 2014.

“We’ve got a good group here and I’m looking forward to better results this year, and challenging each other – and ourselves – on the paddock will be at the forefront of what we’re looking to achieve.”

Emirates Western Force coach Michael Foley said Cummins will bring significant physicality to the backline in 2014.

“Nick creates a lot of energy amongst the team” Foley said. “He plays with an intensity that is second to none.

“He has an ability to use his speed to finish when in space, but also uses his power and determination to break tackles in close contact situations.”

Name: Nick Cummins
Born: 05/10/1987, Port Macquarie
Position: Wing
Height: 189cm
Weight: 99kg
Super Rugby caps: 59 (Force)
Super Rugby points: 45 (9t)
Super Rugby debut: 2008 v Sharks, Durban
Representative Rugby: 2008-2013 Emirates Western Force, 2012-2013 Wallabies, 2010 Commonwealth Games – Rugby Sevens, 2010 Australian Barbarians, 2006-2007 Australian Sevens

http://www.westernforce.com.au/NewsEvents/NewsArticles/tabid/905/ArticleID/10403/Default.aspx

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Update

2014 Squad So Far
1. Chris Alcock 2014
2. Phoenix Battye 2014
3. Junior Rasolea 2014
4. Nathan Charles 2014
5. Angus Cottrell 2014
6. Pek Cowan 2014 - Wallaby Caps
7. Sias Ebersohn 2014 Development Player Spot
8. Kyle Godwin 2016 - WA
9. Matt Hodgson 2015 Wallaby Caps
10. Kieran Longbottom 2014 - WA
11. Alby Mathewson 2014 Marquee Player Spot
12. Ben McCalman 2015 Wallaby Caps
13. Ed Stubbs 2014
14. Chris Tuatara-Morrison 2014
15. Hugh McMeniman 2015 Wallaby Caps
16. Luke Morahan 2015 Wallaby Cap
17. Zack Holmes 2015 - WA
18. Ian Prior 2015
19. Sam Wykes 2015
20. Tetera Faulkner 2015
21. Dane Haylett-Petty 2014 - WA
22. Willhelm Steenkamp 2016 Marquee Player Spot
23. Jayden Hayward 2014 Development Player Spot
24. Chris Heiberg 2016 Development Player Spot
25. Marcel Brache 2015 Development Player Spot
26. Heath Tessmann 2014
27. Salesi Manu 2014
28. Pat Dellit 2014
29. Nick Cummins 2015 Wallaby Caps

EPS 2014
1. Luke Burton - Inside Back - WA
2. Ryan Louwrens - Half Back - WA
3. Rory Walton - Lock/Flanker
4. Adam Coleman - Lock
5. Robbie Able - Hooker

GONE
James Hilterbrand (EPS)
Sam Christie (EPS)
Mick Snowden (EPS)
Ben Jacobs
Sam Norton-Knight
Toby Lynn
Salesi Ma'afu
Lachlan McCaffrey
Will Tupou
Brett Sheehan
Ben Whittaker
Richard Brown
Alfie Mafi
Winston Stanley

Rumoured Signings
James O’Connor

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
It seems like a new South African will play for the Force next year -> Francois van Wyk

I think that the Force have lured a number of South Africans over for the wider training squad. There was talk of centre Bradley Moolman coming over. There was also talk of a couple of others like Dillyn Leyds (his name makes him sound like a bogan).

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Can't see you signing both Cummins and Bieber, even for the tiny wage muted on the TWF forum.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Can't see you signing both Cummins and Bieber, even for the tiny wage muted on the TWF forum.
Cummins was always going to stay amd JOC (James O'Connor) was a done deal untill the airport.

Foley has stated he wants JOC (James O'Connor) and have left the ball in his court so unless JOC (James O'Connor) decides he doesnt want to play i cant see any reason he wont be at the Force next year.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
JOC (James O'Connor) will most likely take the money in Europe or Japan, or even league if he prefers to stay in Aus now. Force would be at very long odds now as they would likely be the lowest paying option for JOC (James O'Connor).

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
JOC (James O'Connor) will most likely take the money in Europe or Japan, or even league if he prefers to stay in Aus now. Force would be at very long odds now as they would likely be the lowest paying option for JOC (James O'Connor).

You'd imagine if JOC (James O'Connor) played a near full test season (possible) he'd make a similar amount to in league.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Maybe, if he played every test.

I reckon he could get a $300k+ base offer in league, maybe more, and he won't be under a continual risk of the ARU tearing up his contract again. With the way league salary caps are flying up, $300k actually isn't a significant amount of the cap anymore and not that much to risk on a proven Wallaby like JOC (James O'Connor) at all. I wouldn't be surprised if he could get higher offers from some clubs.

Assuming the $150k base salary is true, then he'd need to play at least 10 tests at the current $14k/test rate to even get close. And, that $14k/test is likely to drop significantly next year, so it's possible he might need close to 15 tests, which is indeed very close to a full season.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Maybe, if he played every test.

I reckon he could get a $300k+ base offer in league, maybe more, and he won't be under a continual risk of the ARU tearing up his contract again. With the way league salary caps are flying up, $300k actually isn't a significant amount of the cap anymore and not that much to risk on a proven Wallaby like JOC (James O'Connor) at all. I wouldn't be surprised if he could get higher offers from some clubs.

Assuming the $150k base salary is true, then he'd need to play at least 10 tests at the current $14k/test rate to even get close. And, that $14k/test is likely to drop significantly next year, so it's possible he might need close to 15 tests, which is indeed very close to a full season.

That 150k doesn’t include super rugby match payments which if I remember are about 4k per game so he could make another 60k playing every game.

The one whole in your argument is the assumption that cash is king for JOC (James O'Connor).

Now you may well be correct and he may take the big money and head overseas or to RL, but it may well be that playing for the Wallabies is all that matters to him (which he has stated in the past) and this is his chance to show how much it really does matter.

We will have to wait and see the Force have stated they expect a decision in the next 2 weeks (which was said on money so that would mean next week) and have left a spot open on their roster just for him if he comes he comes if he doesn’t well good luck to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.